User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Mon 26-Aug-19 14:44:50
Print Post

My FTTC has been slowing down and dropping out after 3 years

[link to this post]

My FTTC connection has been stable for 3 years or more. Signed up for the 78 meg service originally. I was getting 60megs+ at the router and around 50megs through my homeplugs around he house. My upload speeds were 11-14 megs.

Nothing has changed here at all but ...

My speeds now seem to be around 39 megs at the computer via the homeplugs, and my upload has dropped to 4-6 megs. Been going on for 2 months now.

Worse still, my connection is dropping out around 10 times a day. It bounces back quite quickly most times, but sometimes it's off for 15-30 mins or so.

I have put in a fault report. Being looked into but was told they will only guarantee 39 megs, which will mean around 25 megs at the computers (due to about 10% "loss" via the homeplugs).

I am at a loss as this service has bee faultless for years and I have not touched the router hardly at all in those years as well - been great.

I rely on a good upload speed to fire up large audio files to music production and competition sites (my hobby).

I do no have a Virgin Media junction direct to the edge of my property, but for the price, they could not give me decent upload speeds.

I do not have a BB TV package, don't watch sport or movies, so no not need ultrafast download - the 50 megs BT FTTC package was just fine.

Anyone else got anything similar going on? I was concerned that they have ina sense "downgraded" my package.

Rob.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Dual Yamaha AW16G user using MIDI MMC for 16 tracks
Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Aug-19 18:41:19
Print Post

Re: My FTTC has been slowing down and dropping out after 3 y

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

Key to the puzzle is what are the connection speeds reported by the Home Hub.

Also the dropping out, is that the DSL light showing everything resenting or something else? If it is a resync then the dropping speed will be the dynamic line management slowing you down to try and stop these resyncs or at last make them less frequent.

If a resync goes on for more than 1-2 minutes then something is wrong, or a big source of noise is an issue and it might even be the home plugs, so unplugging and testing for a day to see if things are more stable is a good start.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Tue 27-Aug-19 21:26:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Looking back to my connection.

In 2011 I was getting 64/14 megs at the computer on the end of the Home plug.

IN 2017 I was getting 50.85/10.61 on the same computer on the same home plug configuration

Now I am getting 34/5 megs on the same home plug setup.

Nothing at this end has changed - just got steadily worse.

Raised the fault and now they say it's fixed. Ip profile is 34.8/20 - seems fishy to me on my 80/20 package!

Will continue to log this as a fault.

I want my 50+ megs back ...

Rob.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Aug-19 21:30:10
Print Post

First step

What are the connection speeds reported in the Plusnet router?

THe HomePlugs which do share some of the same frequencies as FTTC can interfere and a side effect of this is what you have seen, hence why its worth looking at whether the connection speeds improve when the HomePlugs are unplugged from the mains.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Tue 27-Aug-19 21:48:58
Print Post

I don't have a way to check the speeds. I have beefy desktops in my studio and do not run any wifi devices/laptops or tablets. It's also BT.

BT are sending me a minihub, but I don't see how that can be of any use to me.

2 wired desktops and a SKY box. A small network!

According to the BT person I spoke to today they can see my line is dropping sync 30-40 times a day! Which is why the ipprofile is low ...

But why has the speed dropped over the 8 years???

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User

Edited by RobFlet (Tue 27-Aug-19 21:58:27)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Aug-19 22:03:58
Print Post

Quite possibly due to increased cross talk as more users on your cabinet have moved to FTTC from ADSL.
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Tue 27-Aug-19 22:35:57
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

It's only a small cab with128 connections which filled up pretty quickly after November 2011 when it was made operational!

It was running at 54-64 megs until 2 months ago since November 2011! With almost zero disconnects. In the last 3 years I cannot remember ever having a drop out!

Something somewhere is broken.

I have no way to test at the hub though as I only have desktops plumbed into my music studio. No portable devices at all.

The 4g minihub is going to do me a lot of good eh?

Rob.

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 27-Aug-19 22:56:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobFlet:
I don't have a way to check the speeds. I have beefy desktops in my studio and do not run any wifi devices/laptops or tablets. It's also BT.

BT are sending me a minihub, but I don't see how that can be of any use to me.

2 wired desktops and a SKY box. A small network!

According to the BT person I spoke to today they can see my line is dropping sync 30-40 times a day! Which is why the ipprofile is low ...

Rob.
You can access the connection speeds through the BT Hub GUI. From any browser. That's what you need to be finding out.

As for years-old homeplugs, they could well be causing more and more interference as they age. They could well be causing the drop-outs. If those drop-outs are re-sync's then DLM will very quickly intervene and reduce your connection speeds.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Tue 27-Aug-19 23:31:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks - I forgot about accessing the hub - it's been so many years since I have had need to look (since the days of the homehub 3 - A and B models)!!!

Via the hub connection is 36.5 and 7.2

Uptime 2 mins! So, there's been a disconnect just now!

Basically the hub drops the connection, get flashing orange light while it re-connects.

The BT folk said there is a fault at the exchange which will take a few days to sort - muttered about soldering wires etc! The broadband fault I raised says it's fixed, but they raised another with the title "Cannot make or receive telephone calls" - which is odd as it's a BB fault and phone is OK.

Is this just a way they can escalate the issue???

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Aug-19 11:45:21
Print Post

And if the hub is dropping connection a lot the automatic systems respond by slowing you down, since the slower the connection the more immune to noise it should be...which explains the long term drop in speeds

BT support will not know about Openreach having to solder wires (if they even actually do that these days).

Find a way to use connection without the home plugs being plugged in for just a day or two to see if the number of connection drops decrease.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Aug-19 11:48:00
Print Post

And you need to eliminate the Home Plugs as a cause as they can interfere and it may be they existed happily for sometime.

If you simply cannot get an Ethernet cable from the BT hub to the studio network area, then a wireless bridge might suffice, but first just have a few hours of not using the home plugs to see if the line stops dropping.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Aug-19 13:40:43
Print Post

Ditch the Homeplugs till your issue is sorted. They are notorious for affecting VDSL2 services.

Post the full home hub stats not just the speed. The other figures provide a good amount of info.

The BT folk said there is a fault at the exchange which will take a few days to sort - muttered about soldering wires etc!

LOL.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-19 14:23:45
Print Post

Hi

One thing no one has suggested but worth checking, have you a phone plugged in, and what do you hear if you pick it up and dial 0 (to silence the dial tone). It should be quiet, but if you are hearing pops and crackles it indicates a connection problem on the physical wire. Your best bet if this is the case is to raise this as voice fault rather than broadband, once that is fixed and line crackles have gone, everything else will start working okay.

Regards

Phil
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Aug-19 18:14:19
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

But before reporting the fault, make sure that its not something creating the interference in the home, easy to do, just turn stuff off. Reason for checking being that if they attend a fault and turning off something you own fixes it you get charged for the visit.

NOTE: Dect and Cordless handsets are not ideal for this test since they sometimes introduce some noise of their own when you listen in. A good old fashioned phone you just plug in is ideal.

Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-19 20:34:04
Print Post

I will not be using the studio machine for a few days, so will disconnect the hub from the local home plug and switch the plug off.

Will report back next week.

But, it's been up now just fine for 17 hours with it being bashed all day. Only 3.5Gb downloaded though and 0.5 Gb up. Very very low usage for me today.

WiFi doesn't reach the studio, which is why I ditched WiFi a long time ago. I have some long ethernet cables which I could trail through the various rooms to the studio (it also has its own ring main! No clicks or buzzes at all, very clean).

Chased again today and they closed down the supposed voice problem which was logged with all sorts of things written on the fault log which I didn't say or offer information about!!!

He did some more line tests etc and then engineering came back saying it will now be fixed on Monday 2nd Sept. We shall see

From the event log on restart after a drop out I see

PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=35000Kbps, Up Rate=5998Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.6dB, Up=6.6dB

I think SNR is good to cab?? After that it's fibre all the way.

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User

Edited by RobFlet (Wed 28-Aug-19 20:50:14)

Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-19 20:37:42
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

How to I find any other numbers to post?

All I can get is the DSL line Status - connected, 35 down 6 up and Internet connection time and data UP AND DOWN, PLUS THE VARIOUS IP'S gateways and DNS.

Where do I find anything else on the home hub???

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-19 20:39:57
Print Post

The BT guy who I spoke to said they talked to the engineers on my case and called me back with this info. They had just been outside my house, but didn't knock on the door!

They say there's something broken back at the exchange which will take some time to fix.

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Aug-19 21:14:52
Print Post

VDSL2 ends at the street cabinet - so a fault in the exchange would not affect your VDSL2 speeds

Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-19 21:44:42
Print Post

So, with up and down at -6db, I should be getting close to my 80/20 ?

So either, something is NOT providing me with 80/20 ie my Ip profile is set to what I am getting due to DLM seeing disconnects etc.

Maybe the hub is going AWOL? Obviously home plugs might be the cause, I can check that by disconnecting them and doing nothing with my computers or SKY box for a few days.

Getting a lots of this in the logs

IN: BLOCK [12] Spoofing protection (IGMP 86.131.3.41-​>224.0.0.22 on ppp3)
21:26:20, 28 Aug.
IN: BLOCK [9] Packet invalid in connection (Invalid tcp flags for current tcp state: TCP [162.125.18.133]:443-​>[86.131.3.41]:54867 on ppp3)
IN: BLOCK [9] Packet invalid in connection (tcp reset attack is suspected: TCP [17.248.149.119]:443-​>[86.131.3.41]:60544 on ppp3)

Any ideas? Is it normal? Are we all getting rogue packets these days?

According the BT Wholesale Speed Tester my Profile is now 20 down and 20 up

It got 9 up and 5 down on the last test!

Tbb test was 32 and 5.

Do we have any historical speed test data? Last on my profile is Dec 2017. Would be nice to see my previous speed tests ...

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Aug-19 21:57:41
Print Post

"Down Rate=35000Kbps, Up Rate=5998Kbps;"

Assuming those are exact figures, the connection is "banded". Limited by the Openreach DLM to those speeds because of errors and disconnections.

Just unplugging the router from the Homeplug socket may not be sufficient. The noise can be "radio" waves from duff worn out homeplugs, not necessarily sent over the mains. IMO you need them all unplugged.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 28-Aug-19 21:58:35)

Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-19 22:03:13
Print Post

Ok thanks for that. I'll unplug them all 1+3 for a few days and see what happens.

I was going to unplug the home plug which connects to the router anyway. The others are on different ring mins anyway and a long way from the router, but I'll ditch them too.

Should I jus buy a new batch of home plugs?

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User

Edited by RobFlet (Wed 28-Aug-19 22:05:13)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-19 22:34:08
Print Post

Under 'Troubleshooting' I think
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Aug-19 22:36:30
Print Post

Why spend money when it might not be them?

But several of us here think the odds are they have quite a lot to do with it. We are just asking you to definitively either show we are right, or wrong.

They have to be ruled out as the cause, simply because they very well could be.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Aug-19 22:37:09
Print Post

Wait on getting new home plugs - the money they'd cost might be better spent on getting an Ethernet cable installed from router to the stuidio e.g. out of building and around the outside then back indoors.

Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-19 22:53:46
Print Post

True, wasn't going to jump the gun. Did the dsl checker thing

How do I post the image?

VDSL Range A (Clean) 54.3 36.3 11.1 7 33.8

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 52.7 35 10.9 6.4 30

Does this tell me anything?

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Thu 12-Sep-19 16:47:09
Print Post

A quick update

After 3 faults logged and acted upon, all the line faults between my house and the cabinet have been fixed. It did need me to keep raising the fault after each one was "cleared/fixed". The hub is now completely stable and has not dropped the line for over 2 weeks now. It was dropping say 30 times a day! When doing a remote "line test", no fault was found - but when they did the tests at the point the line entered the house, then a very significant fault was shown. Internal wiring checked and was just fine.

My speeds though have not recovered to anywhere near what they have been.

6.1 dB noise margins up and down. Line is 80/20. DSL Check (high) shows 54.3 up and 11.1 down.

The BT speed tester run by the advisor showed 43 to hub and 41 to PC via the homeplugs.

BT going to try a hard reset now and see what happens. Still a far cry from my 66/14 way back in 211!!!

Up for renewal in December - so do I go Virgin Media M200, with 213 down and 20 up? Trouble is after 1 year it jumps from £31 to £54 pm! Of course, my 200meg homeplugs will need to be all changed to take advantage of the high speed!
[Maybe they need to be changed anyway!!]

At least we have got to the bottom of most of my woes!

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Sep-19 16:58:05
Print Post

One assumes when you say line is 80/20 you mean the product configured on the line is the 80/20 product.

The key bit of information you are missing is the actual sync speeds (connection speeds) reported by the modem. The DSL check results while there is a feedback loop that will update does nothing to cap your speeds, and does not tell us the speed you are connected all.

Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Fri 13-Sep-19 23:17:08
Print Post

It was configured as a 80/20 line in November 2011 when I first got it.

This is what the Hub sys!

Data rate: 9932 / 43579
Maximum data rate: 10230 / 45874
Noise margin: 6.2 / 6.8
Line attenuation: 31.3 / 20.5
Signal attenuation: 31.1 / 19.8

NM has changed from 6.1 db's

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User

Edited by RobFlet (Fri 13-Sep-19 23:18:35)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Sep-19 12:19:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobFlet:
It was configured as a 80/20 line in November 2011 when I first got it.

It's still configured as an 80/20 line now then unless you have changed package. Your just too far from the cabinet to get anywhere near that.

If you are still on Infinity 2/SuperFast 2 then you might way to consider downgrading to SuperFast 1.
That's provisioned for 55/10 rather than 80/20 but as you don't even reach 55/10 there may be a saving there for you.

66/14 down to 43/10 in 8 years isn't anything out of the ordinary.

If you've had FTTC since 2011 you were an early adopter, with few other subscribers on your cabinet.
The interference (crosstalk) from other lines subscribing to the cabinet will reduce sync speeds for most on the cabinet over time.

Those who were on the cabinet early with little crosstalk notice it more than others.

Users on Huawei FTTC cabinets from may suffer less of a crosstalk drop in sync as DLM improvements (retx/3dB) may have mitigated some of this drop.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to