User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-Sep-19 11:52:56
Print Post

Re: My FTTC has been slowing down and dropping out after 3 y

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

Is that real FTTH/FTTP from Virgin? I know they are rolling out FTTH in some areas, but the vast bulk of their services are over coax copper from the cabinets.

Digging work probably needed in both cases.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Sep-19 12:21:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I don't think Virgin offer FTTP like Openreach or Gigaclear do, they use RFoG (radio frequency over glass) in certain areas and where the fibre is converted into coaxial at the customer's home. So regardless of which method Virgin use, the connection always terminates as coaxial indoors which means a cable modem is always used. Happy to be corrected though!

Fluidata FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Openreach 4+2 ONT Huawei HG8240
Netgear RAX200 AX11000
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 21-Sep-19 12:22:21
Print Post

Does that included a calling package or any extras? £58 is a lot more than you need to pay if you were to ring them up and ask for a retention offer. All the big players will offer existing customers a retention deal. With black Friday on the horizon it may be better to wait a bit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(member) Sat 21-Sep-19 13:15:40
Print Post

Use Quidco and you can get £120 off the 350mb package. Also, the 350mb package should now be 35mb upload.

If you are in a student area then Virgin Media might be poor, but for the majority of people you get the speed they quote all the time. I'd always take a risk trying it out as even if the network is heavily used and you have to return to BT then you'd then be a new customer and get the discounts.

No point being loyal to phone companies, milk the discounts each year. Virgin are easy to manipulate. Stick notice on and wait for the outbound call centre. You'll get at least the same offer as you get as a new customer.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-Sep-19 14:33:54
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
I don't think Virgin offer FTTP like Openreach or Gigaclear do, they use RFoG (radio frequency over glass) in certain areas and where the fibre is converted into coaxial at the customer's home. So regardless of which method Virgin use, the connection always terminates as coaxial indoors which means a cable modem is always used. Happy to be corrected though!
Nothing for me to correct wink. Far more there than I knew, except I do know FTTP is best not used to describe VM, as in the context of these forums that to me and I suspect others suggests the Openreach methodology. That's why I introduced FTTH. FTTB would do as well and may be more accurate given what you say.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Sat 21-Sep-19 16:24:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Our area has been fully dug up and every house has a port at the side of the property. Just need to dig to the house and blow the fibre. All in the last year.

I see the M200 package is connected at 20 up, averaging 12 so even the average is better than I have now.

Rob.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Dual Yamaha AW16G user using MIDI MMC for 16 tracks
Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Sat 21-Sep-19 16:26:29
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

I do have the £7.99 anytime call package, but that could go. I also have a £4 special discount for some reason - so the price paid is £54. So, without the call package we are looking at £48 pm.

Rob.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Sat 21-Sep-19 16:32:18
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for this makes sense our area is fully cabled with each property having a port in the pavement outside the house. Haxby/Wigginton area of York, done last year.

Whatever the technology, it still works!

At present I have aluminium cables to the BT cab, 0.6 miles away. The fibre cab is just beside it for cross connecting.

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 21-Sep-19 18:25:36
Print Post

If you wait until black Friday you will probably get that down to about £35 for FTTC and line rental. Other providers will also have offers as well. Even now you should be able to renew near to £40
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Sep-19 15:24:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobFlet:
I see the M200 package is connected at 20 up, averaging 12 so even the average is better than I have now.

Rob.

Where do you see that?

The 200/12 package was upgraded to 200/20 recently so might explain the lower average.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to