User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Scoot
(member) Fri 13-Sep-19 16:08:42
Print Post

G.Fast - Order/Preparation

[link to this post]

Hi All,
Not that I had noticed but it seems my area has been updated to G.Fast and I can now upgrade with BT.

I have had a read of the forums briefly, but just want to ensure I have things right.

If I place an order for G.Fast is it best I ask the engineer for a separate modem so I can use my own router with the line and not the BT one?

I currently have FTTC, using an RT-AC68U router, connected to the HG612 modem. I don't believe this router supports G.Fast so would I be thinking this is currently one of the better routes to purchase that supports G.Fast, Asus DSL-AC88U ?

My line looks like it should have good speeds as the cab isn't far, picture in link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/so4qrbw4jjll074/Screen%20S...
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Sep-19 21:16:52
Print Post

Re: G.Fast - Order/Preparation

[re: Scoot] [link to this post]

Be careful - some of them got estimated for 330/50 but once connected was disappointed to get 150/25 as G.fast work best within <100m away
Standard User j0el
(regular) Fri 13-Sep-19 22:39:26
Print Post

I am not up to date with the installation options with G.fast, but I would presume that they would only supply a Huawei MT992 modem if the ISP purchased the specific option that supplies the modem. ISPs which supply their own modem-router combo device probably won't purchase the option that supplies the MT992 - no device would be assigned to your install, so you won't get one.

There is no real need to purchase a different modem since you should be able to hook up your RT-AC68U to the MT992 (providing it is provided on your install) unless you want to see your own statistics. The DSL-AC88U will work, but I may suggest the Zyxel XMG3927-B50A being quite a bit cheaper at around £150; AAISP do stock them even though they are not listed on their website (just drop them an email and find out).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0el
(regular) Fri 13-Sep-19 22:46:43
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Be careful - some of them got estimated for 330/50 but once connected was disappointed to get 150/25 as G.fast work best within <100m away

You could say the same for any DSL connection working better closer to the DSLAM. G.fast is, at least prior to the band plan change, capable of around 330/50 Mbps up to around 200m away. It should even be a bit further away now following the changes to the band plan.

Edited by j0el (Fri 13-Sep-19 23:23:19)

Standard User Scoot
(member) Sat 14-Sep-19 22:57:58
Print Post

So does anyone know what is provided with BT broadband when upgrading to G.Fast?

Do you get a HUB + a Modem or just an all in one device from?

Just trying to work out if on installation day I'm gonna end up having to use a BT Homehub as an all in one device, instead of my ASUS Router which is configured heavily for my home network and whether it would be prudent to purchase something in advance of upgrading.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sun 15-Sep-19 08:12:54
Print Post

I believe you get smart hub X all in one
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Sep-19 08:23:17
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

+1
You will get an all in one router.

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Sun 15-Sep-19 08:24:07
Print Post

BT will supply you a SmartHub 2 which is an all in one unit and the engineer will change your BT faceplate to a new g.fast one
Standard User brookheather
(member) Sun 15-Sep-19 11:33:43
Print Post

If you want to use your existing router with the BT SmartHub 2 as modem then you may find these instructions useful:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network...

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Sep-19 12:39:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Scoot:
I currently have FTTC, using an RT-AC68U router, connected to the HG612 modem. I don't believe this router supports G.Fast so would I be thinking this is currently one of the better routes to purchase that supports G.Fast, Asus DSL-AC88U ?

The HG612 is the modem, and doesn't work with G.Fast.
You may be able to blag a Huawei MT992 G.Fast modem from OpenReach though they aren't meant to give these to BT customers.

The RT-AC68U is the router, and will work with G.Fast provided you use a G.Fast modem.

An Asus DSL-AC88U is a router with a G.Fast modem built in.

BT will send you a new Smart Hub (modem/router in a single box) that would result in things like double NAT if used with your own router.

You have 3 main options.
1. Obtain a G.Fast modem to use with your RT-AC68U.
2. Use the supplied BT Hub.
3. Buy your own modem/router (like the DSL-AC88U)

Personally I wouldn't touch the MT992.
I like seeing my line stats and the MT992 is completely locked down with zero info.
This may not bother you though.

I wouldn't touch the Asus DSL-AC88U either.
I love the Asus RT range (I use an RT-AC68U also) but their DSL range with built in modems don't have such a good reputation.

At this moment in time G.Fast modems are all £150+ and are few and far between.

Grab a modem from the OpenReach engineer if you can and you your current Asus router.
Failing that use the BT Hub.

I don't recommend dropping £200+ on the Asus DSL-AC88U or £150 on a G.Fast modem as these prices will drop as more devices hit the market.
  Print Thread

Jump to