User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cedge
(member) Tue 12-Nov-19 07:35:09
Print Post

BT Counter Offer - Too Good to be true?

[link to this post]

I decided to try/move to Zen at the end of my current contract with BT (£30 incl line rental and Fibre) in a week or so however I received a call yesterday from BT basically offering me a counter offer during the cooling off period, basically free broadband for 2 years and we just pay £20 line rental (or keep paying line rental saver) plus PAYG calls (20p per minute).

This almost seems too good to be true? Is it legit and is this offer generally what others are getting when attempting to move away from BT?

Edited by cedge (Tue 12-Nov-19 08:01:18)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Nov-19 10:14:55
Print Post

Re: BT Counter Offer - Too Good to be true?

[re: cedge] [link to this post]

Are you 100% certain it was BT that called you? That certainly sounds like a very unusual offer.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Tue 12-Nov-19 11:56:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by cedge:
I decided to try/move to Zen at the end of my current contract with BT (£30 incl line rental and Fibre) in a week or so however I received a call yesterday from BT basically offering me a counter offer during the cooling off period, basically free broadband for 2 years and we just pay £20 line rental (or keep paying line rental saver) plus PAYG calls (20p per minute).

This almost seems too good to be true? Is it legit and is this offer generally what others are getting when attempting to move away from BT?

Did they ask you to confirm your bank details? That would be a pretty solid red light.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cedge
(member) Tue 12-Nov-19 13:09:53
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

No, just talked about the current plan to migrate, then sent me a follow up email with all the plan details and a legit looking signature with contact details; nothing in there regarding click here to proceed/pay money to unlock deal etc. If I proceed, I'd probably go via the main BT switchboard to double check.

I was a little suspicious in that there was no transference of security details but the email looks legit.

Update: I confirmed with BT Live Chat that the email/call was legit smile

Edited by cedge (Tue 12-Nov-19 13:50:24)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Nov-19 13:50:00
Print Post

Scam emails do look legit, by definition smile.

The link to “unlock the deal” etc. is the danger point, which even clicking on could be disastrous unless you have a decent IS system.

That was my only unhappiness with the warning from the previous replier. It would be Stage 2, this email, where the danger lay. Not the necessarily during the phone itself.

Does it use the word “unlock” or is that just yourself conveying the overall message? I would be suspicious of it in an email from BT.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User cedge
(member) Tue 12-Nov-19 13:51:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Scam emails do look legit, by definition smile.

The link to “unlock the deal” etc. is the danger point, which even clicking on could be disastrous unless you have a decent IS system.

That was my only unhappiness with the warning from the previous replier. It would be Stage 2, this email, where the danger lay. Not the necessarily during the phone itself.

Does it use the word “unlock” or is that just yourself conveying the overall message? I would be suspicious of it in an email from BT.

There was nothing like that in the email (BT Live chat have confirmed that it was legit), I only put that in my response to demonstrate that I know normally what to look for to establish if an email is legit, etc. laugh
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Nov-19 14:28:23
Print Post

So they've confirmed it is a valid offer - sounds on the face of it to be pretty good. Make sure to read small print but if you are happy with it then go for it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Nov-19 15:02:39
Print Post

Sounds good then smile. But as just advised, check the small print carefully.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User cedge
(member) Tue 12-Nov-19 15:37:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks I will. I'm going to put it to Zen first to see whether they can match (unlikely) or offer anything extra e.g. inclusive minutes to put them back into contention.
Standard User busterboy
(member) Tue 12-Nov-19 18:48:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

May I ask which broadband package is that.

BTBroadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to