User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Fri 22-Nov-19 17:40:03
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband call

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I first found nomoreransom.org referenced on a non-public site that I refer to for cyber threats. As I mentioned previously, you do have to be careful with general search results, as some criminals provide malware removal tools which actually install malware (which may wait months before becoming active) and they tend to use SEO to push their wares up the search results.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Nov-19 17:47:40
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Would .jpg files be accessible if one dual booted from linux?
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Fri 22-Nov-19 18:19:40
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Dual booting doesn't help - the files will have been encrypted, so the content of a .jpg file isn't readable as a jpeg. It is quite possible that only the first part (maybe 1MB) of each file is encrypted, but that will contain the metadata making the whole file unreadable.
Fortunately in this case there is a decryption tool available. In general a backup on a separate computer or DVD etc is the only foolproof protection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 22-Nov-19 18:25:29
Print Post

I was wondering earlier where the original photos were/are, and if any have perhaps ended up in MS OneDrive, Google Drive and suchlike.

Unlikely, but worth an ask.

Edit: Also emailed or similar to other family members or friends. Even actual prints than can be scanned. Were any older ones copied from an older computer and if so is that still available.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 22-Nov-19 18:27:28)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Nov-19 18:34:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
In general a backup on a separate computer or DVD etc is the only foolproof protection.

External hard drive is ideal, these days USB sticks are larger in capacity and may also be sufficient for users with less data.

Unplugging after backup is key, although things like File History encourage the external storage to be connected at all times.

Oliver.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Fri 22-Nov-19 18:44:44
Print Post

It is important that backups are not permanently accessible by the computer - if they are they will be encrypted too. Attached backups can protect against hard drive failures etc, but not against malware.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Nov-19 18:54:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
Dual booting doesn't help...

Thanks for the reply - I thought that maybe dual booting into linux might be a way of copying across encrypted files (particularly .jpeg, plain text documents, etc. from a Windows OS) and perhaps opening them on the linux partition might be possible.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Nov-19 18:55:41
Print Post

Yep, it's a trade off. Permanently connected external storage with File History provides excellent backup coverage but puts them at risk of malware encrypting all the files.

I wonder how many people are sufficiently motivated to keep plugging in and out their backup device before and after each regular backup (until it's too late).

Oliver.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Nov-19 19:35:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Yep, it's a trade off. Permanently connected external storage with File History provides excellent backup coverage but puts them at risk of malware encrypting all the files.

I wonder how many people are sufficiently motivated to keep plugging in and out their backup device before and after each regular backup (until it's too late).

Also, perhaps, disconnecting other booted machines, using the same OS, from the LAN? Or perhaps a user has to intentionally transfer files?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Nov-19 19:47:50
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Also, perhaps, disconnecting other booted machines, using the same OS, from the LAN?

Yes, if the device is connected to the LAN, and the infected PC knows the SMB password for it, or it has no password, it most definitely is at risk too.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to