User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SimpleSimon1
(learned) Tue 07-Jan-20 12:33:05
Print Post

BT, I Despair – Only One Order at a Time???

[link to this post]

Sometimes, I really despair of BT! Long time account holder, with a solid trouble-free ADSL2 connection. However, recently placed an upgrade order for Superfast Fibre 1, due to be installed 23rd January. Then got a reminder that our Line Rental Saver deal was due to expire on the 24th and would we like to renew? Of course, the answer was ‘Yes’...PROBLEM...can’t seem to renew online cos it’s saying that we have an open order (presumably, the fibre upgrade)....OK, bit of a pain but we’ll phone Customer Services and they can sort it out for us over the phone...OH NO THEY CAN’T!

Apparently BT policy is that you can only ever have one order open at a time so we can’t renew our Line Rental Saver until the Fibre Upgrade order has been cleared! The young lady we spoke to couldn’t understand the problem because as she said, our fibre upgrade will be completed on the 23rd and we can then place your Rental Saver order on the next day (last day of the current agreement) – of course, BT fibre orders never miss their intial install dates!

To ensure that we didn’t lose our Rental Saver deal, we had to 1) Get her to cancel our open fibre order; 2) wait 24 hours (presumably for the open order to be removed from the system); 3) Phone back again (another 45 minute wait, no doubt) and, over the phone, they could then process a renewal for Rental Saver and open/reinstate the Fibre upgrade order (although, presumably, with a new install date)....you really couldn’t make it up.

Unfortunately, we’re in a rural area and BT are ‘the only player in town’ so we’re stuck with having to work around their stupid system and processes rather than doing the sensible thing of finding an alternative less-inefficient supplier
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jan-20 13:02:23
Print Post

Re: BT, I Despair – Only One Order at a Time???

[re: SimpleSimon1] [link to this post]

There are suppliers other than BT Retail that sell Openreach services. It may or may not fix the issue but perhaps trying one of the others would give different results.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-20 21:45:48
Print Post

That is strange, when we upgraded from ADSL 2+ over to FTTP we also renewed our phone service as well and we also have line rental saver where we pay for the year.

So the upgrade to FTTP was added first, then the line rental saver and then the move over to FVA.

And that was all over the same phone call, so that was 3 open orders.

This was a few years back, so maybe this has changed, or maybe you was just unlucky and spoke to the wrong person.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User connormill
(member) Wed 08-Jan-20 08:43:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by SimpleSimon1:
Unfortunately, we’re in a rural area and BT are ‘the only player in town’ so we’re stuck with having to work around their stupid system and processes rather than doing the sensible thing of finding an alternative less-inefficient supplier

I'd be surprised if you are on an FTTC Cab and only have BT Retail as an option

Surely Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone, Zen etc would be able to offer service to you. EE and PlusNet are probably there too, as subsidiaries of BT it would be very unlikely they don't have a package available to you

Shop around and Ditch BT if they are not giving you what you're looking for
Standard User ajb1946
(newbie) Wed 08-Jan-20 09:28:30
Print Post

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

Recently had a similar thing with Plusnet. Missed the renewal date for Line Rental Saver (my fault) but had to renew BB/Phone contract with PN first. No problem, did that, then immediately paid Line Rental Saver. Delighted to see that the next monthly bill included a refund for the normal line rental I had paid to cover the month between renewing Line Rental Saver. Incidentally all done over the phone to PN customer services after less than one minute waiting for them to answer!
(learned) Thu 09-Jan-20 17:03:37
Print Post

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

Living in the far west of Cornwall, most of the suppliers couldn't give a monkey about us and aren't interested in providing us with a broadband service. Having said that, it appears that Zen will now provide fiber so that will defo be worth a look once I sorted this mess out.
(learned) Thu 09-Jan-20 17:18:34
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Think it might depend on exactly how the operators enter the transactions. We started the fiber upgrade via the normal online route and that seems to have started all the problems. Even though the previous CS operator thought they'd canceled the fiber order, it was still hanging around and blocking everything else cos of the engineers appointment which it had generated. It seems that when they cancelled the fiber order, it didn't delete the appointment order (don't you just love rubbish system integration?) and that was still blocking everything else.

Spoke to another CS operator today who was very switched on. She managed to delete the appointment order which then, according to My.BT, closed down the fiber order. However, the Rental Saver order still crapped out cos, apparently, there was yet another hidden order (something to do with the BT January special offers).

After an hour of trying, she finally managed to action our Saver order but we won't be able to do the fiber upgrade until our old Rental Saver expires towards the end of the month. What a palaver! On the plus side, she is going to ring me as soon as the Saver order clears and walk through the fiber upgrade with me.

So, brownie points to this CS op who [fingers crossed] managed to sort things out, but boos and kick in the nuts to BT and their stupid, over-complicated systems which seem to make an apparently simple thing totally complicated. No wonder they're loosing market share!

PS; forgot to mention that the first CS op said that it is BT policy to only allow one open order on your account at any time. Dunno if this only applies to home accounts or includes business ones, as well

Edited by SimpleSimon1 (Thu 09-Jan-20 17:21:45)

Standard User dsergeant
(member) Thu 09-Jan-20 17:48:06
Print Post

Just out of interest I have shortly to renew my broadband when my current contract expires so am well aware of your problems. Just renewed my line rental saver so that is out of the way. But you will be aware that BT have now introduced new phone tariff plans and I need to move from my current anytime call package to the new 500 minute one. I suspect they won't be able to renew the broadband (to give me a new 'introductory discount') AND move me to the new call tariff at the same time as it will be two orders! If I try and do it via the website (which offers me my current rate price) it insists on wanting to charge me a tenner for a new router which I don't need (and use my own router anyway), and there is no mention of phone tariffs. What should be a quick phone call no doubt will be anything but.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 09-Jan-20 18:23:03
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

Just done this in Dec via the website with no issues, there was an option later to not get the new router, phone tariffs came in a 2nd step. But all done at the same time.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-20 19:38:22
Print Post

Yeah, we only used the site to see if FTTP became available which it did, so I phoned BT to double check and they confirmed it was.

So yeah we didn't do any order stuff via BT's Site, its so badly done, well for our account it is, like the custom deals for us, always errors out due to we are on their highest tier of package. You would think that they would have checks for this, sadly they don't.

Just be lucky you don't have a TAG on your line, BT say that they cannot do anything until "their supplier" (that still cracks me up) removes the TAG, yet if you send enough emails and make loads of phone calls to BT high up people the TAG's get removed, funny that tongue

Also with FTTP you don't get the normal Support Staff, on average I normally wait 20 mins, but it has been as quick as 2 mins and as long as 35 mins in the queue when I have phoned them in the last year, so not too bad.

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to