User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User corsa57
(regular) Sun 26-Jan-20 19:39:36
Print Post

Broadband filters

[link to this post]

Please advise which are the best broadband filters for my BT broadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jan-20 22:25:42
Print Post

Re: Broadband filters

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

The ones sent out with the BT Hubs are perfectly fine

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 09:44:26
Print Post

The BT Filtered Faceplate is as good as anything else you can get, if you want to go that route.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User corsa57
(regular) Wed 29-Jan-20 10:58:27
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Shtu thank you for the information.

My Broadband speed has gone done in recent days and so I ran the BT test programme and it said there was nothing wrong with the connection to my BT hub when using the test circuit socket and therefore the fault lies in my internal wiring and they suggested changing the Broadband filters.
I could see no logic in this as when the test was carried out using the test circuit socket the filters were left in place. However I decided that I had better follow instructions as BT have said they are happy to send an engineer but at my cost. Hence my reason to ask about filters and if a particular brand was more reliable.
If I have understood you correctly you suggest that extra filters are not necessary.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Wed 29-Jan-20 11:10:50
Print Post

What he is saying is that the Gold standard for filters for xDSL connections is to have the filter on the NTE5, aka the master socket rather than filters on every telephone socket. In that regard whatever Openreach supply is perfectly satisfactory and there is no requirement to change them.

From what you say sounds like you have microfilters rather than a faceplate filter on the NTE5, which is regarded as suboptimal.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jan-20 12:35:05
Print Post

What were the connect speeds when using the test socket?

if better than when everything is in its normal locations, suggests rather than the microfilters being the issue that the internal wiring is picking up some noise.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 22:09:58
Print Post

I would suggest a couple of tests,

- Check that all the internal sockets are dead when you remove the faceplate.

It's not unheard of for iffy wiring to have internal sockets still connected, so remove the faceplate and go round every socket with a corded phone, and see if you get dialtone anywhere.

- Check you don't have anything like an alarm system or gas\oil tank "watchman" hardwired in incorrectly.

If these can still call home correctly, someone has spliced-in where they shouldn't.

- Compare the speeds when using the test socket, and when using the faceplate.

This should see if your internal wiring is making any significant difference.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jan-20 17:48:28
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

The OP could try to follow the incoming telephone line cable and make sure that there are no connections to it prior to the master socket. Some properties, such as mine, were star wired.

Michael Chare
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jan-20 21:55:59
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
The OP could try to follow the incoming telephone line cable and make sure that there are no connections to it prior to the master socket. Some properties, such as mine, were star wired.

Agreed, our wiring when we moved in here 30+ years ago had wires going all over the place.
But back then there was no broadband internet to have issues.

In fact we never had a Master Socket, all we had was the cable coming into the home which went into a brown rectangular junction box with a jack socket on it and the phone itself had a Jack plug on it.

Something like >> this << but it was brown I think, it was a while ago, but we had them all over the place here.

Paul

Print Thread

Jump to