User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User casaschi
(newbie) Tue 02-Jun-20 18:12:17
Print Post

upload/download counters on the BT smart hub

[link to this post]

Have a "BT Hub 6A" smarthub with latest firmware SG4B1000E020

From the hub management pages, in the "Advanced settings", "Technical log", "Information" section I noticed unexpected numbers for the "Data sent / received". I see an unexpectedly high number for the upload amount, much higher than the download amount.

However, if I look at the list of connected devices it shows the amount of data uploaded/downloaded by each and the upload numbers do not add up to the total shown in the technical log.

1. the technical log page shows 126 GB uploaded and 43 GB downloaded
2. the sum of the values for each connected device as shown in the device list page shows 2.78 GB uploaded and 64.66 GB downloaded
3. there should be no communication between devices; the vast majority (if not all) traffic from each device goes to/from the Internet

Has anyone noticed anything similar from their smarthub?

Is this a known software glitch from the smarthub when reporting usage?

Or should I look at devices uploading data when they should not (but then why the per device report does not show this)?

It happens regularly and even after an hard reset (that I assume clears all counters).

Any feedback or reports of similar experiences appreciated.

Posted the same question on the bt community forum but got no answers.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Jun-20 19:28:06
Print Post

Re: upload/download counters on the BT smart hub

[re: casaschi] [link to this post]

Same hub and software as yourself. Years ago I decided that the figures were meaningless and have chosen to ignore them ever since, all the more so because the connection has unlimited usage.
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Tue 02-Jun-20 19:53:25
Print Post

From my experience, it seems there is a glitch that still hasn't been fixed for a long time. From what I managed to work out awhile back was that even if you turn the wifi off and also opt-out of the BT wifi. The smarthubs still broadcast the BT wifi signal and also anyone using that hotspot will have their usage included in the download/upload figures.

This is why those figures don't match up with the figures in the network devices section.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User arendall667
(member) Tue 02-Jun-20 21:26:54
Print Post

Just checked mine and the tech page shows about what I would expect. However the tech pages figures are reset every soft reset (which my hub does very 14 days) but the per devices amounts are not. I also think the tech page total might reset if the line re syncs.

I think the per devices figures loop when they reach 999 but can't be bothered to prove it as I'm on an unlimited package. I only check the numbers just in case one device suddenly decides to upload or download the internet as this might indicate an incorrect setting or virus type activity.

I did opt out of BT WiFi and after a few days the status changed to opted out rather than active but it has reverted back to active after the last firmware update and has not changed despite opting out again.

Anthony
  Print Thread

Jump to