User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jun-20 21:09:36
Print Post

Re: Can't turn off BTWifi with Fon

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by michaelh:
In reply to a post by MHC:
And when there is no mobile coverage and you are not in a restaurant ... then what?

Then I get on with normal life. I don't need to be glued to Facebook or whatever every minute of the day and night.

Some of us don't do "Facebook" and do use connections for work - I often get to places where mobile coverage in nil but will normally find a BT hotspot.

You use random people's home broadband for your work..................

Don't know what job you do - maybe you drive a white van but when I was working, my employers (a large public authority) would have regarded using an unsecured connection as a disciplinary offence due to Data Protection issues etc

Michael

Edited by michaelh (Mon 08-Jun-20 21:14:50)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 08-Jun-20 21:12:07
Print Post

[re: michaelh] [link to this post]

You are NOT using their home network, you are using a BT Hotspot which happens to go down the same piece of copper. Maybe your employer should get to properly understand data protection - it does not contravene it at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Jun-20 21:58:45
Print Post

but when I was working, my employers (a large public authority) would have regarded using an unsecured connection as a disciplinary offence due to Data Protection issues etc

.... but by the same token, you find it acceptable to use
the restaurant's wifi.

????

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jun-20 23:33:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
but when I was working, my employers (a large public authority) would have regarded using an unsecured connection as a disciplinary offence due to Data Protection issues etc

.... but by the same token, you find it acceptable to use
the restaurant's wifi.

????

Only in a personal capacity - never for work

Michael
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Tue 09-Jun-20 11:59:27
Print Post

When I was with BT I had no interest in the 'communal' wifi and didn't know I could turn it off even if I wanted to. Then in 2014 I found myself in hospital at one hour's notice, there to remain for weeks. One of my lovely nurses remarked one day that I was in one of the only two wards which had been equipped for wifi. It made my long stay much more bearable.

I'm with PN these days but use the BT HH6 router which has wifi enabled by default. I can't turn it off without a BT account but I'm very happy for someone to use a facility which was of such benefit to myself.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jun-20 12:22:47
Print Post

Work connections generally use a VPN of some kind because no 3rd party network is trusted. Therefore one 3rd party network is much the same as another.
Standard User BranH
(learned) Tue 09-Jun-20 12:56:17
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

When we had BT, did some tests to check how the QOS worked with BTWifi. When the home network was saturated, the BTWifi basically ground to a halt.
So as a separate connection independent of the home network and with the QOS, it has virtually no impact on the home network.
Standard User BrianC1
(learned) Tue 09-Jun-20 14:56:26
Print Post

I see it as part of the deal. You don't pay a lot for the router and in return the router does FON. If you don't like it, stop using the BT router and buy your own. It won't be locked to BT, it won't be configured for FON and if you choose well it'll work better too.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jun-20 18:35:12
Print Post

BT help page here: https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-o...

If these instructions don't work, you're best off raising it on https://community.bt.com/

Oliver.
Standard User burble
(committed) Tue 09-Jun-20 22:18:09
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

This thread got me to investigating what speed I could get from my nearest nabours FON, the nearest have 'Ultrafast' IIRC 150MB products, putting my cheapo 'long range' wifi antenna in my window got me roughly 8.5/8.5 download/upload, I'm not sure if FON limits it to this speed or the wifi, seems odd that is roughly symmetrical. Another day I'll get closer with less in way to see what I get.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to