User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SimpleSimon1
(learned) Thu 18-Jun-20 12:20:20
Print Post

Totally Confused About BT Full-Fibre Email Offer

[link to this post]

So, about 3 months ago, BT put in fibre to our house (FTTP) and it’s running very nicely at 74Mb down and 20Mb up. According to the web site, we’re on the Fibre with Halo 1 package, with a stay fast guarantee of 34Mb. Via several emails (BT seem really anxious for me to do this!), I’ve just been offered a zero-cost upgrade to Full Fibre 100 with BT Halo 1, but I can’t see what the hidden catch is.

Whilst extra speed is always nice, it’s not really essential for my purposes. The email says the upgrade is zero cost but when I look on the BT web site, my “personalised broadband offers” say that I can have Full Fibre 100 with BT Halo 1 for around 12 quid more than I’m already paying for the Fibre 1 package. So, which is correct; the email saying zero cost or my web site personalised offer saying an additional 12 quid? The email says that this offer will require a 24-month contract (not a problem) and that my monthly price will stay the same at the end of it but is this guaranteed? Lastly, the email small print says “Our calling plans have changed so when you upgrade we'll recommend one of our new plans for you based on the type of calls you make at the moment.”.... what’s all this about? And is this where I get hit with a previously-hidden price rise?

If anybody can offer some clarification about the pro's and cons (especially the latter!) of this apparent 'freebie', it would be much appreciated. I'm sure that if I spend an hour hanging on the phone listening to tinny music, BT will give me chapter and verse but, if anyone here can explain what's going on, that would be great! IMHO BT would have a lot less problems if, when they make a change, they explain it clearly and don’t have contradictory info scattered all over their web site and emails!.

Thanks in advance for all replies
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Jun-20 13:23:10
Print Post

Re: Totally Confused About BT Full-Fibre Email Offer

[re: SimpleSimon1] [link to this post]

What price do you pay now? What price do you expect to pay once your existing minimum term ends?

Then check what these are for Full Fibre 100?

There may be no upgrade i.e. setup fess to pay but monthly costs might change, or they are doing via email a special offer of same price for X months.

The usual new customer price for Full Fibre 100 is £39.99/m on a 24 month contract.

Reason things can be contradictory is that email offers can be different to website offers, which can be different to what you get offered if you phone up, i.e. different sales channels. A bit like buying a car, one sales person will make one offer, go back 1 hour later and a different sales person will make a different offer sometimes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Jun-20 17:31:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Reason things can be contradictory is that email offers can be different to website offers, which can be different to what you get offered if you phone up

Agreed, I have always got a much better price deal (at that time) when I phone up than I would if I did it via their website.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Fri 19-Jun-20 11:45:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew, it’s really all very confusing, not helped by the fact that BT’s web site and associated documents do not maintain consistency when it comes to naming packages, services. Currently, my service is the FTTP Fibre + Halo 1 package, running at 70 Mbps. It’s been in place for 3 months and is costing £45-49 pm for broadband and landline. That doesn’t seem too bad considering that, currently, the landline component (rental?) appears to be £20.20.

The offer emails (three in two weeks – BT seem very keen for me to upgrade!) are to upgrade to Full Fibre 100 with BT Halo1 for zero extra cost per month. A main plank of the offer seems to be persuading people to upgrade from FTTC to FTTP. I can understand that but, obviously, it doesn’t affect me. The speed boost is nice but my FTTP performs well and capacity is well within our family’s requirements. Since we’re only 3 months into the FTTP service taking out a new 24-month contract isn’t a problem, either.

The offer small print states that “Our Price Promise: You'll keep the same monthly price, when your contract ends. This doesn't include any changes as a result of annual percentage increase in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rate of inflation” which seems fairly clear (BT tariffs state that normally, this package is £55.70 pm) but I’m certainly not used to BT offering to give me something for nothing! Another piece of small print states that “Our calling plans have changed so when you upgrade we'll recommend one of our new plans for you based on the type of calls you make at the moment”. However, since we’re already on an Unlimited Minutes call plan, I can’t see how they can sting us with that, either.

So, are BT really offering a genuine freebie or have I missed something? All thoughts and comments welcome since, otherwise, I going to have to try to talk to them (which is likely to involve at least an hour listening the to their naff on-hold music!). Many thanks
Standard User DougM
(committed) Fri 19-Jun-20 11:55:17
Print Post

From BT's perspective, the upgrade costs them close to nothing. Your usage is unlikely to change significantly and they don't need to make any physical network changes to support the migration.

What it gives them is an increase in average speeds across their customer base, always good for marketing. I suspect BT wants all FTTP customers on their Fibre 100 product as the new base level of service.

-==-
DougM
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jun-20 12:11:18
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

I got a similar offer for my FTTC connection using an HH3. Don't see any advantage to me despite it the apparent zero cost increase but I do see it locks me in for another two years which is not necessarily to my advantage.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User Hawthorns
(committed) Tue 30-Jun-20 17:11:58
Print Post

I had a similar offer only by post rather than email - but the letter had my email address printed on it. It had quite a nice description of FTTC and FTTP to explain why it would be much better to have FTTP rather than the FTTC I have now. Except I don't, I have FTTP like you. I've never had FTTC.
I concluded that BT's marketing people are clueless and binned it.

BT FTTP
(learned) Sun 05-Jul-20 11:29:46
Print Post

[re: Hawthorns] [link to this post]

FWIW, I contacted BT and I really couldn't find any financial catch. They confirmed the Halo promise etc meant no price increase (other than CPI) at the end of the contract or if I renewed before the end of the contract. I went for it. Really not used to BT offering something for nothing!

Mind you, regular speed checking via Thinkbroadband is giving some pretty odd results.Sometimes upload is running at the full 30Mbps and other times it drops to 6Mbps. Similarly, upload speeds seem to vary between 80-130Mbps. Quite often I get reports like Up 6Mbps and Down 130Mbps whilst at other times I get Up 30Mbps and Down 70Mbps. Now these aren't absolutes cos I'm running them from a desktop connected to a Smarthub2 via Powerline Ethernet. Having said that, the patterns are consistent and I've seen other reports on these forums that BT FTTP doesn't seem to be as consistent, speedwise, as you might think.

Doesn't really worry me since I'm getting what I paid for and it's more than sufficient for my needs but I thought that FTTP would be a wee bit more consistent!
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jul-20 13:01:23
Print Post

It might be the hardware that you are using, I am on BT's 900 package and my SamKnows WhiteBox is reporting a steady average of 927Mb down and an average of 115Mb up throughout the month.

I am not using the SH2 but a MikroTik Tik RB4011iGS+RM Router connected to a Huawei ONT, the home is all wired with CAT6/6e and some CAT 7 cables.

It "should" be consistent 24/7, so I would check your equipment.

Paul

Print Thread

Jump to