User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jul-20 19:46:46
Print Post

FTTP Switching Tiers?

[link to this post]

So I'm wondering this, If I sign up for BT Full Fibre at 50/10 has anyone had the experiance of changing up and then down again?

I'm asking as the address I share right now maybe getting switching on soon and I'm planning to leave at soime point when/if the world returns to normal and the persons remaining will not need much above 74mb, however I'm looking at 150-900mbs packages at the moment.

Matt - Using Huawei B535-323 on EE Unlimited

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Furloughed Chef
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Jul-20 23:23:14
Print Post

Re: FTTP Switching Tiers?

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Upgrades no problem, downgrades might trigger additional costs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jul-20 17:49:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm wondering if going from a lower tier up to a higher one then back down however?

The originating contract would be for 80/20 for example then up to 300/50 then back to 80/20

Matt - Using Huawei B535-323 on EE Unlimited

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Furloughed Chef

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jul-20 19:34:02
Print Post

Just what Andrew says...

They will let you upgrade at any time. Upgrading usually starts a new 24 month contract (at the higher tier).

They do not allow you to downgrade generally. It can and usually does incur charges.

BT point blank refused to let me downgrade from SuperFast 2 to SuperFast 1, even with under 2 months on the contract left.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Aug-20 23:59:42
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
BT point blank refused to let me downgrade from SuperFast 2 to SuperFast 1, even with under 2 months on the contract left.

But if the original contract was for Superfast 1 for example and upgraded to Superfast 2, downgrading to Superfast 1 again 'shouldn't ' cause any problems as the original contract is signed for that speed.

Either way time will tell, I'm about to move into a new place with FTTP available, order placed this evening for Full Fibre 100 and Digital Phone included,

Was surprised to see its going to come with a Smart Hub 2 (Guess to accompany the digital phone service as they are also sending a Handset that connects to the hub)

Matt - Just a JitteryPinger

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Aug-20 00:08:08
Print Post

When you upgrade you sign a new contract.
The original contract is null and void.

The ISP has no obligation to let you downgrade again.

YMMV.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Aug-20 09:11:43
Print Post

Ok, May have to test this theory in future.

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Aug-20 10:45:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Ok, May have to test this theory in future.

Theory? smile It's basic contract law.

By all means don't believe the stranger in the internet, but read the 1st reply to this thread again.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Upgrades no problem, downgrades might trigger additional costs.

The guy has an O.B.E for his work on Broadband.

Why not just call BT and ask? They'll tell you themselves that you can't downgrade package within contract.

It's entirely at the ISP's discretion wether to let a customer downgrade package.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Aug-20 10:58:45
Print Post

From experience with other ISP's upgrading and downgrading service tiers doesn't require re-contracting as long as original contract is adhered too (cost)....

It's not unreasonable of me to think this would apply elsewhere and I asked BT in the end and they said yes I can.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 02-Aug-20 11:07:29
Print Post

BT Help, (my underlining):
What happens to my other BT services if I upgrade or recontract?

If you recontract or upgrade either your phone landline service or your BT TV service (and you already have BT Broadband), then your broadband service will automatically recontract. This is so that you can enjoy these services for the full duration of the new contract without any problems or technical issues.

If you want to upgrade or recontract your BT Broadband service and you are a BT Sport customer, then this will automatically recontract as well. If you enjoy BT Sport on our app or online or via Sky, once your contract has finished then you may face an increase in price if you do not recontract before your contract expires.

If you are a BT Mobile customer, then your BT Mobile contract is treated separately from any other BT products or services. Recontracting or upgrading your BT Mobile service with BT will not cause any changes to the contract end date for any of your other BT products or services.

What happens to my contract if I upgrade my BT Broadband to a higher option?

When you upgrade your BT Broadband, for example from Broadband to Broadband Unlimited, you transfer with it any discounts as well as the remaining months of your current contract.

The only exception to this is if the higher broadband option has a special offer, or if you're moving from BT Broadband to Superfast Fibre.
You might find it also depends on the dates involved. IIRC BT's full Ts & Cs change periodically and you need to check your contract dates against the historical dates, not just the terms at the time you make any later change.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Aug-20 11:51:01
Print Post

I asked BT in the end and they said yes I can.

I recommend getting that in writing.

As mentioned previously it's entirely at their discretion wether to let you downgrade (and if there are any additional charges for this).

Downgrading will start a new 24 month minimum term again, at the lower package speed.

Edit: removed incorrect info

Edited by j0hn83 (Sun 02-Aug-20 16:51:58)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Aug-20 12:03:41
Print Post

Well don't matter anyway, I've decided to go with another provider.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 02-Aug-20 16:27:59
Print Post

That isn't how I read the quotes I posted. Or the rest of the same section that I edited out.

If the part I underlined doesn't apply, then an upgrade seems to continue within the original contract.

It probably did apply to what the OP was wanting to do, but not for any other upgrades other than the two specified.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Aug-20 16:51:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah, quite confusing the number of references to recontracting.

So if it's a fibre to fibre upgrade (not ADSL to fibre) and there's no special offer (standard price) the original contract term will continue.

That isn't the case with a downgrade. A quick Google search of "can I downgrade my BT Broadband" brings up about a dozen results in the 1st 2 pages from the BT Forums (including posts from a mod) stating this needs a new contract/possible charges incurred.

My personal experience was they wouldn't allow me to downgrade unless I agreed to a new contract (I had 2 months left), which I didn't want to do.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to