User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Scoot
(member) Thu 09-Jul-20 16:12:41
Print Post

BT Fibre 250 (G.fast) - Order Dispute

[link to this post]

Hi all,
Previously BT have wrote to me and offered online the option to purchase G.Fast 250 up to 330mbps.

However the online website no longer gives me the option to order it and when calling them up and speaking to an agent they only have the option to upgrade me to their Fibre 100 product.

My line and cabinet is showing on the Wholesale checker as capable of being able to accept orders for G.Fast up to 330mbps. I told the BT broadband customer advisor this and they checked with a colleague and that person said their data and systems were not allowing them to upgrade me past their Fibre 100 and maybe the issue was with Openreach data provided to them, which contradicts the wholesale checker info.

I managed to contact Openreach via an online form and they have emailed me back explaining there is no reason why any ISP's should not be able to place an order and activate the full g.fast product up to 330mbps.

So now I am stuck, how do I get BT to correct their data, or is there an internal issue on BT Broadband's side stopping me upgrading like contention in the area or another reason as to why they cannot order this product for me?

Should I just move away from BT and try order this product elsewhere? ive had pretty good service with BT broadband so would stay and sign a new deal if I could get this faster product.

Edited by Scoot (Thu 09-Jul-20 16:17:25)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Jul-20 16:20:13
Print Post

Re: BT Fibre 250 (G.fast) - Order Dispute

[re: Scoot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Scoot:
I managed to contact Openreach via an online form and they have emailed me back explaining there is no reason why any ISP's should not be able to place an ordered activate the full g.fast product up to 330mbps.

You were advised incorrectly by OpenReach.

If the estimates are too low then you can only order the 160Mb G.Fast and after activation need to upgrade to 330Mb.

This might also be the case if the Wholesale checker is reporting G.Fast as Amber rather than available.
This basically means it needs to be a managed install (engineer visits your home and fits a G.Fast faceplate and tests the connection) as self install is still only in trial (or was last time I checked).

It's very common that you can only order the lower tier then upgrade after activation.
It's definitely very common with BT.
I don't think this is unique to BT though but may be an OpenReach restriction.
Nothing can be done apart from upgrading at a later date.

Out of interest what are your estimates and does it show as Amber?
I know a bunch of properties that I've been keeping an eye on have had their G.Fast estimates revised down this week.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 09-Jul-20 16:22:14)

Standard User Scoot
(member) Thu 09-Jul-20 16:30:30
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Hi j0hn83,
Thanks for the quick response. here is a link to my line info:

https://ibb.co/HCvT28j

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Jul-20 16:34:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Scoot:
Hi j0hn83,
Thanks for the quick response. here is a link to my line info:

https://ibb.co/HCvT28j

Decent estimates.

Availability is Amber which means an engineer managed install.

No idea if it's an OpenReach restriction (I believe it is) or just a BT restriction, but there's no way around only being able to order the lower package.
Regrading to the higher package after service is live can be an overnight flick of a switch.
Standard User Scoot
(member) Thu 09-Jul-20 16:38:55
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Hmmm I don't wish to sign a new contract on a lower service and be stuck with it if I cannot upgrade further. The cab is literally 50-100 meters away. Always maxed out my speeds on FTTC 80Meg service.

I appreciate your reply, shame Openreach couldn't advise me better or BT broadband.

Do you think its worth a gamble singing the Fibre 100 contract on the basis it will likely give me the option to upgrade pretty soon thereafter?

Wonder if any other ISP's can offer me a smoother transition to the full package? or have a better deal currently.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Jul-20 16:44:19
Print Post

Yes you can definitely upgrade with BT after activation.

The likes of Zen might be able to put you straight on the higher tier (friends if it is an OpenReach restriction or not).

There's actually quite a few threads on these forums from a couple months ago where BT would only allow 160Mb but then allowed the upgrade to 330Mb after activation.

No idea why this restriction is in place.

The ThinkBroadband ISP comparison page should show you what ISP's are seeking G.Fast and at what price.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/#

Click on Find a provider, then enter your postcode.
  Print Thread

Jump to