User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-20 13:11:42
Print Post

BT Whole Home Wifi

[link to this post]

I am looking at potentially improving my home wireless - I have a couple of TP Link wifi extenders but they keep falling off the network and are a bit hit and miss.

I have Fibre 100 (150Mbps download) and a Smart Hub 2. I could get complete wifi but I am not keen on paying monthly. I know BT do the Whole Home Wifi and Mini Whole Home Wifi products that I could get through Amazon or Ebay - but does anyone have any experience of how well these work with the Home Hub 2? I don't want to spend a fairly chunky sum on something that doesn't work better than what I currently have.

Probably looking at 3 or 4 discs as it is a 4 bed house, I want to cover down the end of the garden and one of the bedrooms seems to be a faraday cage so I have to position the repeater just right so the signal goes through the door.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Sep-20 14:33:42
Print Post

Re: BT Whole Home Wifi

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Designed to work well with the Smart Hub 2 (not the Home Hub 2 which you also mention is a very old BT router - so guessing just a slip up in the wording).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 24-Sep-20 15:03:54
Print Post

Might be worth trying a third party router first as it might be a cheaper & neater solution than BT wifi discs, which do work well.

If you don't want to spend shed loads of money on the latest & greatest wifi 6 router, then the Netgear R7800 (best wifi 5 router out there for wifi) or Asus RT-AC88U or Asus RT-AC86U will almost certainly beat any standalone BT router for wifi. How much by, you won't know know until you give it a try. Btw my single Netgear wifi 6 router easily provides full wifi coverage in my 4 bedroom house on my Gigabit line. But its a relatively new house with wafer thin walls, which helps a lot smile

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dean83
(newbie) Thu 24-Sep-20 15:10:34
Print Post

AFAIK, the bt-whole-home-wi-fi that you purchase outright ( white discs ) will not 'converge ' with your current router - they will set up a second wifi network which does not include you current Hub - even if its a BT one - so you will have your SSID from your hub, and the another from your 'whole home wifi'. So you would need a disc where your Hub is.

the 'Complete wifi' that you purchase alongside your broadband ( black Discs ), converges with the smart hub 2 - so you dont need a disc where the router is.

I have the 'complete wifi' ( on fibre 900 ) with 4 discs to cover a large property and also an out house in the garden and it works well - i get between 100 - 400 mbps in every room which is ample for my wifi needs. I didnt pay that much extra each month to upgrade - and i think the cost at the end of the term if i dont send them back is £30 - so cost wise it worked out less than buying the discs outright.

obviously this set up can only be used with BT, the 'complete wifi' disc is useless with another company - whereas 'whole home wifi ' will work with any provider so its flexible if you move to a new company
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-20 15:36:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew - and yes, that was a slip up - it is smart hub 2.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-20 15:37:37
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

It is unlikely a single router is going to reach everywhere I need coverage so some sort of extension is going to be needed. I have TP-Link RE305 devices at the moment but their connection to the hub is unstable despite a good signal where they are located - I seem to have to reboot the hub regularly to keep them online properly.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-20 15:38:46
Print Post

[re: Dean83] [link to this post]

I am looking for the definitive answer as to whether the Whole Home WiFi that you can buy outright integrates with Smart Hub 2. MrS thinks it does but you think it doesn't - I haven't yet found anything definitive online to confirm either way and most of the reviews were done before the Smart Hub 2 came out.
Standard User Dean83
(newbie) Thu 24-Sep-20 16:03:21
Print Post

non of the set up guides for 'whole home wifi ' indicate integration with the smart hub 2.

if you did want to buy the 'complete wifi ' discs outright that are for the smart hub 2 - a google search shows they can be bought from BT at https://www.bt.com/broadband/accessories#advanced
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-20 17:51:13
Print Post

[re: Dean83] [link to this post]

Thanks. Although they are a bit pricey and I suspect that allows BT to encourage people to the monthly payment as I suspect I would need at least 2 and possibly 3 discs (BT when I use their selector for the whole home suggest I would need 4 of the premium discs and I just don't believe that - it isn't a sprawling mansion!). 3 discs at £300 would allow me to "rent" them for a good while by which time new technology would be out to replace them so at that price owning them would be unlikely to make sense).
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Sep-20 17:52:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
I am looking for the definitive answer as to whether the Whole Home WiFi that you can buy outright integrates with Smart Hub 2. MrS thinks it does but you think it doesn't - I haven't yet found anything definitive online to confirm either way and most of the reviews were done before the Smart Hub 2 came out.
only the black discs work with the smarthub 2, you set them up using the MyBT app - the same one as you access billing. The ones you buy in the store are white and have their own app BT whole home WiFi. You must have one next to the hub connected via Ethernet. The first one in the store kit must connect via Ethernet.

The WiFi guarantee ships with the black ones and as long as you have the smarthub 2 away you go. People are selling them on eBay for about £50 to £75 each if you want to get them unofficially as a one time cost.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to