User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woppy1010
(learned) Sat 31-Oct-20 12:16:41
Print Post

Another engineer visit

[link to this post]

Got another OR engineer coming out in a week(6th in 3 years) as I lost another 5mb off my speed mid week, started at 80mb 3 years ago now down to 60, got my first helpful CS agent though, she has put it into the notes that I can leave penalty free if they can’t get my speed back, cheeky gits even have even knocked off 10mb of my acceptable range was 78-55mb in feb now down to 65-50mb
Standard User flilot
(member) Sat 31-Oct-20 16:05:14
Print Post

Re: Another engineer visit

[re: woppy1010] [link to this post]

May just be that three years ago there were less people in the area with FTTC using your cabinet, and in recent years more and more people have signed up causing a cabinet full of crosstalk which may degrade your (and likely everyone else's) speed. The revised acceptable range may also point to this. Not much can be done about crosstalk. But do report back what the engineer says/does.

Carl
(regular) Sat 31-Oct-20 16:33:10
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

If like every other time he will do a check see there is no fault on the line and say “your over your max guaranteed speed so there is nothing I can do”

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 31-Oct-20 16:50:55
Print Post

If enough people complain and its down to cross talk in the tie cables,then they can be changed to cat 5 cables, but that is not going to be done overnight so to speak
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sat 31-Oct-20 21:20:12
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Is this a joke reply? Do you really think that the crosstalk is caused by a few meters ( well maybe fifty metres or so of tie cables) I don't think so. What about the hundreds of meters of telephone cable going from the cabinet to the premises which is where crosstalk happens and Openreach will not seriously consider activating vectoring because it will cost them and they will get no financial return from users.frown
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Oct-20 22:19:23
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

May I politely suggest you check out witchunt's many other most informative posts in these forums. I suspect, no I know, that they have far more knowledge of Openreach's network than either of us.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 31-Oct-20 23:13:08
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Well I'm no expert but vectoring is used to reduce the effects of Far End Crosstalk, which why its typically been used to raise speeds in areas with longer lines. Near End Crosstalk is likely to eminate at the cabinet where the XDSL signals are 1) most powerful and 2) mostly concentrated, but there is always the possibility OR just like to replace the cables just for the hell of it.
No, it's not a joke reply.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 31-Oct-20 23:36:11
Print Post

I hope you are ready for the £100+ bill when no fault is found.

You are seeing what hundreds of other users also see. As more properties move to VDSL crosstalk and conducted noise increases resulting in speed drops. Mine has dropped from well over 90Mbps when I was the only user, to mid/high 60s as more moved across. And one particular neighbour casues a 10Mbps drop. Can I do antything? Notreally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Oct-20 23:51:26
Print Post

You will get £100+ charged by Openreach if no fault are found! Good luck with your bill

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User woppy1010
(regular) Sun 01-Nov-20 08:19:59
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I said that to the tech support guy about the charge and that OR would come out and say “ I can’t find a fault and your above you minimum anyway” and he has put in the notes that I won’t be charged, and the retention girl I spoke to first also put it in the notes that if I don’t get my speed back I can leave penalty free
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to