User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User unknown101
(member) Sat 09-Jan-21 22:42:47
Print Post

Re: FTTP Install - Practical details of install

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Brownfield = CSP required.

If this isn’t being done, then the install isn’t being done properly.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-21 23:03:02
Print Post

[re: unknown101] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by unknown101:

Training is area specific.

No inside out training on this patch at all. Engineer hasn't even heard of it.
No CSP's.
Connectorised cables still being used in my street last week.

Many other examples of the same in other areas.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jan-21 10:23:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Training is area specific.

No inside out training on this patch at all. Engineer hasn't even heard of it.
No CSP's.
Connectorised cables still being used in my street last week.

Many other examples of the same in other areas.
We have heard on this forum for probably a year now that CSP's is the correct way for engineers to install fttp and several good reasons have been given (PITA outer cable stripping, high number of field kit SC APC failing) although its not clear if engineers in some areas who are spliced trained are still not using them. I personally would like to see both options continue to be available in all areas, for my specific install a CSP really wouldn't make sense.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jan-21 11:53:55
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
We have heard on this forum for probably a year now that CSP's is the correct way for engineers to install fttp

We heard about a year ago that OpenReach had started using CSP's again with the inside out method, yes that is correct.
It actually started in June 2019.

OpenReach stagger their training across their many training centres in the UK.
We had a pandemic nearly a year ago that put a halt to many planned changes.

Comments like this are just wrong...

That route isn’t practical, the line would need to go to ground level first externally so the CSP...

And another wrote

As pointed out though, the cable would need to go into a CSP at ground level first,

On their patch that might be the case.
It isn't the case everywhere.

Inside out was trialled in a concept trial (very early) on a couple patches in June 2019.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefi...

The trial didn't even officially launch until February 2020, a month before the pandemic.
It was extended to some other areas.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefi...

My install in August on a brownfield site used no CSP.
I've seen about a dozen installs done in my street the exact same way as recent as 2 weeks ago.
The engineers here haven't heard of it. That's both the new hires and a couple long term guys.

AFAIK it's still a trial deployment.
There has been no OpenReach briefings to say the trial is complete.

I see no problem advising people they may or may not need a CSP depending on the area they are in and if OpenReach are using the inside out method on their patch.

Insisting on every post that a CSP is needed is foolish, particularly with the number of posts we still see that have no CSP installed at all, including brownfield sites.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sun 10-Jan-21 11:58:07)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jan-21 12:23:58
Print Post

Thanks for your post smile
In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Comments like this are just wrong...

That route isn’t practical, the line would need to go to ground level first externally so the CSP...

And another wrote

As pointed out though, the cable would need to go into a CSP at ground level first,
Lots of posters (including myself) are guilty of repeating what they have read on this forum and/or other forums, I think reading members posts/opinions and reading facts are very different and we need to remember that in the same way as street gossip seems to become fact if repeated too many times frown
Standard User MarkC64
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-21 13:45:22
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheInstaller:
I can't really see that general route as being much of an issue, as long as there are no pipes or mains cables anywhere near the light you have by the front door.

As pointed out though, the cable would need to go into a CSP at ground level first, and then into the porch as you indicated. It won't run into the house without one of these. They are square grey boxes about 5 or 6 inches and about one inch deep.

So you'd be ok with it coming down the front of the house, but when you get to the corner you can come down vertically there to the CSP and back up again at the same point to continue your suggested route, or you could have the CSP by your front door, and drop down to it there. There is also nothing stopping you from over painting the cables afterwards if you wish to make them less noticeable, as they will be black and are roughly about the same size as existing copper phone cables.

You will need to discuss the actual route with the engineer when he comes, but expect something along the lines i've suggested there. The CSP (grey box) needs to be at ground level as the fibres are spiced in it, this can't practically be done at height.

Hope that helps.

The engineer came in to the porch/vestibule and hall and looked into the front bedroom he saw the layout, he simply didn't want the extra work of routing it to my porch/ vestibule, lazy and ignorant wanted a quick job and go. Once he knew it couldn’t go into the bedroom he wasn't interested in any other solution.

OPENREACH don't seem to be fitting CSP’s here, neighbour has a connectorised cable straight from pole routed to his house and in through wall to internal ONS. I am no expert but maybe there is limiting length of the connectorised cable and beyond this there will be a requirement for a CSP. I have asked for a survey before they come back in March so there is a plan before the engineer turns up.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Jan-21 14:43:49
Print Post

[re: unknown101] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by unknown101:

When I was installed by Kelly (after they'd terrorised the neighbourhood leaving ladders unattended in the wind) they installed my FTTP with an internal CSP at 3rd level (essentially loft) taking OH line straight through the wall into small 'white' CSP and then out of the side into the ONT.

Bit more of a can do attitude with my guys though it seems.
Standard User Cockroach
(learned) Sat 03-Apr-21 14:32:33
Print Post

[re: MarkC64] [link to this post]

MarkC64, how did this install turn out in March?

Iain
Standard User MarkC64
(newbie) Sat 03-Apr-21 15:17:43
Print Post

[re: Cockroach] [link to this post]

It was postponed for a week and then cancelled at last minute due to COVID regs, now going ahead on 13th April. Did manage to get £125 compensation from BT for all the messing around. £25 for each missed instal and £50 for the issues around the first appointment. Will update once it gets installed, only taken them nearly 6 months since ordering.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to