User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ffox
(committed) Thu 21-Jan-21 11:46:44
Print Post

Internet Radio Streams breaking

[link to this post]

We joined BT from Plusnet last week. Everything is fine apart from streaming internet radio which cuts out for 15+secs at regular intervals over many hours. It worked smoothly with Plusnet for years. TV and YouTube are not affected.

There are oddities:

If I put a different Hub on for the very first time the radio is fine for several hours. The problem returns after subsequent changes. (I have tried two Smart Hub 2s and a Home Hub 6.) I have switched Smart Setup off - no difference.

Sometimes, but not often, the radio streaming works smoothly

If the streams are OK when I switch the PC off the problem reappears when the PC is switched on again.

The intervals between stream breaks usually alternate regularly between ~30 seconds and ~290 seconds.

BT have sent an Openreach line engineer and a Qube engineer to investigate. They could find nothing wrong at this end or up to the exchange. I am told an engineer will check upstream from the exchange tomorrow.

Any ideas are welcomed.

BT Fibre 2Smart Hub 2 St Ives Cambs (EMSTIVE)
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-21 20:40:12
Print Post

Re: Internet Radio Streams breaking

[re: ffox] [link to this post]

Possibly interference from some other electrical device or its power supply killing the wi-fi signal. Or is the PC connected to the router using an ethernet cable? If not then worth a try to see if it makes a difference.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User ffox
(committed) Fri 22-Jan-21 09:31:18
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, but it's an ethernet connection.

The fault had disappeared when I checked yesterday lunchtime. Thankfully all remained well after restarting the PC early this morning, and it's still OK now.

Mid-morning yesterday a research company engineer checked into my new Smart Hub 2 remotely to configure their NAS device. It's my guess that this action effected the cure, but can't imagine why.

BT Fibre 2 Smart Hub 2 St Ives Cambs (EMSTIVE)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jan-21 10:14:58
Print Post

As it is already using an ethernet cable then I suggest also trying a test of streaming over wi-fi to your mobile phone or tablet or internet radio to eliminate it being a dodgy cable or something about the PC itself that is causing it if it should recur.

I had problem streaming Classic FM to an internet radio over wi-fi some years back which kept dropping out momentarily every now and again. But only Classic FM and only on that device.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User ffox
(committed) Fri 22-Jan-21 10:26:37
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

I'll try that if it happens again. smile

BT Fibre 2 Smart Hub 2 St Ives Cambs (EMSTIVE)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jan-21 13:16:37
Print Post

BT have sent an Openreach line engineer and a Qube engineer to investigate. They could find nothing wrong at this end or up to the exchange. I am told an engineer will check upstream from the exchange tomorrow.

Shocking really .... during lockdown.
You imply that there is no other issue. Why are your service provider, not once, but twice, sending their staff out to visit your property.

Print Thread

Jump to