User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Goldenbone
(newbie) Sat 30-Jan-21 17:36:05
Print Post

New FttP Install - Home Network

[link to this post]

Hi there!

My street was recently provisioned for FttP connections, so I promptly ordered a nice fast package with BT. Covid is getting in the way of that, which is fine.. install date is early April.

As far as I can tell, BT will install the fibre / ONT right at my front door, where the master socket is located.

The problem I have is that currently my FttC connection is run from my livingroom phone socket, to the router, then via a cat6 cable to my upstairs patch cabinet (which then supplies the house with wired connectivity)

I don't have any network ports near the place I think they'll terminate the fibre. Can they terminate my livingroom socket in some kind of cat6 connection and route the data from the ONT to allow me to have the router in the same location it is currently?

Sorry if that's a bit muddled - all advice gratefully received.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Jan-21 21:08:27
Print Post

Re: New FttP Install - Home Network

[re: Goldenbone] [link to this post]

Is the current point in the living room against an outside wall ?

It might be that a short run from this point to the external CSP may be easily and feasible.

Standard User Goldenbone
(newbie) Sun 31-Jan-21 10:03:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The fibre comes in on the left side of my front foor, the livingroom is round the right side of the house. I've got a feeling it's not going to be easy to reroute the fibre..

I think it's going to result in a new ethernet run somewhere.. it's about as awkward as it can be in terms of route!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Feb-21 12:33:49
Print Post

Can you not then run an ethernet cable externally from your suspected ONT location to where you wish the router to be ? Kinda guaranteed to get it where you want it then 😉

Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Mar-21 12:57:26
Print Post

If OR can't install to the location you want just buy some decent exterior grade Cat5e/6 & run the cable outside & in to your new location its so much easier than trying to do so internally & cable is really cheap too.
  Print Thread

Jump to