User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Internaut
(newbie) Mon 15-Feb-21 16:30:48
Print Post

Download speed normal; upload barely above zero

[link to this post]

Hi,

I seem to be in a bit of a pickle with BT... My download speeds are normal - well above the 48Mbps guarantee BT give me. Just recently, my upload speeds have gone from the expected 15-20Mbps to barely above 0,5! BT have done their usual automated checks and found no problems. And I've talked to an agent who gave a somewhat circular argument: we do not guarantee upload ergo we don't investigate upload problems. Looking on my account I can see:

- The fault I reported today is not there.
- There is a problem reported 2nd Feb (not reported by me!) - Broadband - UpfrontTest, and fixed 11th Feb.

Now, I live just around the corner from the box and OpenReach seem to have a man their pretty much permanently so can well imagine this interfering with existing customers.

My product: Fibre with BT Halo 2 (one of the FTTC products)

Slightly concerned because it's not so long since I renewed the contract so worried I may be stuck with the product through to late this year if BT refuse to investigate. And no idea where I stand legally.

I'm full time WFH due to [censored], at the moment, so fortunate to have a very good 5G to fall back on.
Standard User Internaut
(newbie) Tue 16-Feb-21 09:47:29
Print Post

Re: Download speed normal; upload barely above zero

[re: Internaut] [link to this post]

Hmmm... after a good month of problems (culminating in so unusably slow that Alexa would just blink at my, vacantly, whenever I asked her to turn the light on), the problem seems to have mysteriously corrected itself. Perhaps bad end of call surveys and social media rants work (albeit disappointing they are required)?
Standard User BrianC1
(learned) Tue 16-Feb-21 10:30:16
Print Post

I had this problem for a couple of weeks and it turned out that my BT Cloud app had gone rogue and was hogging all the upload bandwidth. I closed it down and everything is back to normal.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Internaut
(newbie) Tue 16-Feb-21 10:36:05
Print Post

[re: BrianC1] [link to this post]

I don't use the cloud app. We did put some effort into finding out if something else in the house was doing what your cloud app was doing though. I had assumed it was simple contention with other households (terraced houses, so densely packed and everyone working from home/remote learning) but the eye opener was when I found myself wide awake at 4am, and decided to do some tests.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 16-Feb-21 10:46:42
Print Post

Internaut

Usually this is due to an automatic upload / backup on a device somewhere. Can be One drive, Google cloud, or any of the other dozen apps that try to keep all your data 'safe' .

If your download is ok the upload is working at some point as if the upload is completely swamped downloads become restricted due to Ack delays. This suggests it is a device issue as the upload is being restricted when downloads are taking place ( to enable the download) but when the upload starts it is being contended with the 'other' upload as the app will not be configured to give priority to a different upload.
Standard User Internaut
(learned) Tue 16-Feb-21 11:09:51
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

While I do use some of these services (especially iCloud and OneDrive) there should be no significant backing up or syncing activity since everything is pretty much backed up already (so maintenance only). I should have mentioned that for my early hours test the only computing device switched on was the iPad used to make the test. If it happens again, I might try snooping my home network.

One thing that did occur to me.... What if a BT WiFi user is connecting to my Smart Hub and uploading a lot of data? BT's answer to that is that I have priority:

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/bt-wi-fi--common-q...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Feb-21 13:33:15
Print Post

My smarthub has a status page under the advanced section that tells me how much data has been uploaded/downloaded. If you were to keep an eye on that for 10 minutes or so and you would be able to see if anything was using the upload - if it doesn't go up then that isn't the problem but if it does then there is a device somewhere using bandwidth.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 16-Feb-21 13:42:40
Print Post

The BT wifi user shouldn't have access to all your bandwidth, it is a limited VPN type service.

If you had just switched the Ipad on, the apps have a habit of checking everything on start up so use quite a lot of bandwidth for the first x min, x depends on how much data you have on the device. .
Standard User Butch_bex22
(newbie) Tue 16-Feb-21 21:45:38
Print Post

We've had broadband for 12 months now and we have had service issues from day one ... we've had numerous engineers come to our property and try and resolve the issue but all have failed ...at the start of the issue if the fault wasn't fixed we received £8per day until it was fixed ...when they thought they had fixed it the fault would be closed ... the fault would happen again so another fault would be opened well this has been going on for 12 months now there was a period last summer for a few months our broadband seemed fine but from September 2020 it became terrible...we called in the fault as normal but then we was getting engineers not turn up when they was meant to bt gave us £20 for the no engineer showing up then they would book another to come out and again no engineers turned up and still our Internet would just drop out and unable to use ...in November I think in the space of 2 weeks 5 engineers never came out to us but two of them said they did but we have cctv at our property and I said I can prove they never came and I made a formal complaint regarding them engineers that said they had been here but never heard anything back regarding this.... my husband has had numerous phone calls to bt complaining about this once he was accused of being drunk by a member of staff because he raised his voice obviously its been very thrustraiting and has took its toll on the both of us all we wanted was a stable Internet connection that was promised when we signed up ...we then had a lady called Olivia sted taking over as she was higher up we were told but still nothing has been fixed ...the last conversation my husband had with bt a gentleman who was fairly rude and cocky in our eyes said he was taking over our case and that we wouldn't be receiving any compensation what so ever even though 2 weeks previously Olivia offered us compensation but we wasn't happy with it ... when I explained to the gentleman that at the beginning of our contract we was given £8 per day until the fault was fixed but from September we never received that and when added up was a fair bit of money his whole attitude changed to us we asked for someone else to take our complaint over he refused blatant and said its him or nothing ....we have decided to go with a different provider as how we have been treated during this who contract is absolutely not on and wouldn't wish anyone to go through the same
Remedy Requirements
Letter of apology

Reimbursement of time off of work due to engineers not coming

Reimbursement for stress that this has caused us both
And the mental strain it has caused during the time of covid has been made worse
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-21 10:52:15
Print Post

[re: Butch_bex22] [link to this post]

If unnecessary cross posting four identical posts across these forums is an indication of your attitude when dealing with your supplier, don't expect much sympathy here!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to