User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Feb-21 15:14:20
Print Post

Re: Download speed normal; upload barely above zero

[re: Butch_bex22] [link to this post]

I sympathies with anyone who is having ongoing issues with their broadband but I am drawn to your continued references to compensation and reimbursement rather than explaining what the issues are with your broadband.

There are lots of good people on this forum who may be able to advise on what could be causing these issues but you need to engage with them rather than just having a rant about the side show and compensation.

Edited by dect (Wed 17-Feb-21 15:50:42)

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Wed 17-Feb-21 20:37:44
Print Post

[re: Internaut] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Internaut:
While I do use some of these services (especially iCloud and OneDrive) there should be no significant backing up or syncing activity since everything is pretty much backed up already (so maintenance only).

Presumption is the mother of all scew ups as they like to say. Or should and could being entirely different. There will almost certainly be something doing an upload that is hogging the bandwidth.
Standard User Dieng
(newbie) Thu 18-Feb-21 14:34:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Just adding to Ian72's suggestion:
My BT Homehub6 has a My Network page which lists all individual items connected to my router, whether by network cable or WiFi. It shows the upload & download separately for each individual piece of equipment.
That might help identify if there has been a very large upload from one particular connected equipment, or you might even notice one going up quickly as you look.
Unfortunately, I don't think you can see equipment connected on the 'public' side of your router wifi. If anybody knows otherwise, please let me know, thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Internaut
(learned) Fri 19-Feb-21 17:52:11
Print Post

[re: Dieng] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Dieng:
Just adding to Ian72's suggestion:
My BT Homehub6 has a My Network page which lists all individual items connected to my router, whether by network cable or WiFi. It shows the upload & download separately for each individual piece of equipment.
That might help identify if there has been a very large upload from one particular connected equipment, or you might even notice one going up quickly as you look.
Unfortunately, I don't think you can see equipment connected on the 'public' side of your router wifi. If anybody knows otherwise, please let me know, thanks.

Well my problem is back! So I'm looking at that right now. If the total uploaded data is since the last reset, earlier in the week, then I'm seeing nothing that would explain my suddenly degraded upload speed. Looking at it in upload order:

- The iPad is the worst offender having uploaded 2GB since Monday, explained by me uploading some photos to Creative Cloud.
- Followed by the Corporate Dell at 940MB (saving documents plus suspect FireEye sends a lot of Telemetry).
- After that, a few things in the 100s MBs (LG WebOS and so on) and then you have the mobile phones, light bulbs and so on.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 19-Feb-21 21:00:50
Print Post

Internaut

If it was ok then has just started up again. You may have a rare issue that is affecting upload frequencies only.. This may be something that is only used at weekends / evenings ( maybe an economy 7 device!). It may not be in your house but will be close.by. (Radio enthusiast etc)

It is not normal to just affect upload but can happen
Standard User Internaut
(learned) Sat 20-Feb-21 11:33:04
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
Internaut

If it was ok then has just started up again. You may have a rare issue that is affecting upload frequencies only.. This may be something that is only used at weekends / evenings ( maybe an economy 7 device!). It may not be in your house but will be close.by. (Radio enthusiast etc)

It is not normal to just affect upload but can happen

Thanks. I've been reading around this; quite an eye opener. I've not been able to isolate anything in the house that is never on when broadband is perfect. I have taken precautions. So, the table lamp (led) next to the router has been further away from the router (it was right on top of it). Nothing scientific, so far (it was already improving a little, at that point).

One thing to note: This isn't a suddenly bad/suddenly good thing. It's gradual in both directions. It started dropping off a little, Thursday night and was at its worst Friday afternoon, was up to to 10Mbps this morning and close to 20 thereafter. So not necessarily hours we'd associate with maintenance windows or work going on at the cabinet around the corner from us.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sat 20-Feb-21 12:26:13
Print Post

Internaut

System in the DSLAM works on frequency bands, so as a band deteriorates it cuts what is used. I do not know whether the bands are subdivided and are cut out bit by bit. If so this would explain the slow slide then the slow recovery.. Some Modems record the band usage so you can see what each is giving.

Upstream and downstream bands are normally interspersed so that distance and interference take both down a bit at a time rather than losing all of one. But it is possible for coincidence to take out all one way. ( you may be one of the few that are losing the lottery out of millions!)
Standard User Internaut
(learned) Fri 05-Mar-21 09:56:11
Print Post

Just an update on this. We've had a visit from an Open Reach engineer who ran some tests and, according to his equipment, from the wall socket our product is fine. The visit was coincidentally at a time when upload speeds were on the floor (it was a Tuesday visit and things had deteriorated badly over the previous weekend). He requested a new Smart Hub which arrived Wednesday and we installed it on Wednesday night.

Since then, I think the situation could best be described as acceptably bad smile. So, upload speeds reliably in the 3-10 Mbps range when tested, with just two tests where the final score was below 1 (we've done many) and, more importantly it's not stopped me working, doing video calls and saving my work to the corporate network. I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks.

Incidentally, we have excellent 5G coverage, locally, and that has been a real bacon saver (seriously, the only thing that would beat EE's 5G, in good coverage, would be FTTP and higher than BT's base product offering).
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Mar-21 10:47:39
Print Post

Incidentally, we have excellent 5G coverage, locally, and that has been a real bacon saver (seriously, the only thing that would beat EE's 5G, in good coverage, would be FTTP and higher than BT's base product offering).

Have you considered just ditching the landline based services altogether ?

A one off payment for a router which takes a mobile sim, then an eat all you want data sim .... sorted.

You can then wave bye-bye to your landline based service.

Standard User Internaut
(learned) Fri 05-Mar-21 11:33:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Have you considered just ditching the landline based services altogether ?

A one off payment for a router which takes a mobile sim, then an eat all you want data sim .... sorted.

You can then wave bye-bye to your landline based service.

I have looked into that in EE's £55 per month product looks pretty good.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to