User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Feb-21 19:23:45
Print Post

Does BT Business Broadband (ADSL) have a static IP?

[link to this post]

Does BT Business Broadband (ADSL) have a static IP as standard?

I thought it did, but Googling suggests otherwise.

If I have to ask for a static IP will I be charged or is it free of charge?

I cannot find any mention of whether the IP will be static or dynamic.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 26-Feb-21 21:53:21
Print Post

Re: Does BT Business Broadband (ADSL) have a static IP?

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

There is a choice depending on whether you have the Enhanced or Essential package

There are a lot of extras in the Enhanced including next day repairs, 4G assure, IT support and Static IP.

Have done some digging and the comparison is here: https://business.bt.com/products/broadband-and-inter...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 26-Feb-21 21:54:19
Print Post

There is a choice depending on whether you have the Enhanced or Essential package

There are a lot of extras in the Enhanced including next day repairs, 4G assure, IT support and Static IP.

Have done some digging and the comparison is here:

M H C

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Feb-21 23:39:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for doing the digging. I had tried searching BT but it did not want to play. I had already gone through our order details etc, without any luck.

The village hall has BT Broadband Essentials & Value Line (on ADSL) It's fast enough and not that many calls go out.

With your post as a pointer found that we can have a single static IP address for £5.50p + VAT per month, or could up-grade to Enhanced. Now it so happens that back in May last year we were offer an upgrade to Enhanced for £5.00p + VAT per month. We did not take it up since had no need at the time.

Now, our contract expires this month, so it may be worth seeing if they will allow that offer now, and then see what they can renew our contract at.

We need the static IP for remote access.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Feb-21 10:15:29
Print Post

When you call, say that you wanted to go for the Enhanced offer then but getting it through "Committee Agreement &c" takes so long. Although I am sure you may well be able to negotiate a deal that is less than you are currently paying.

4G is certainly worth it as a back up too. My current FTTC is failing every few days and 4g just picks up.

M H C

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Feb-21 10:40:20
Print Post

Yes, may well do that!

With the Enhanced option and 4G, does the package include the 4G SIM or is that a separate purchase? Also should it go to the back-up 4G, does it still have the same static IP address?

We don't need a FTTC service, ADSL is more than adequate, so hoping that I can get a good deal on ADSL which not available for new order at that location CH5 3HS.

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Feb-21 12:22:56
Print Post

4g Assure as the fail over service is called comes with a USB Dongle and stand with a 4g SIM inserted. Plug into the back of the BT hub and that is it. If service drops it fails over in seconds and then where ADSL/VDSL is restored it waits 10 minutes or so, just in case, then hands service back. No 4g charges - they are included, but it cannot be used for anything else.

You retain the v4 static IP during fail over too but not v6 although TBBs BQM does not work when failed across

My v4 connection today showing the dropouts - My Broadband Ping I still had service available during the red blocks.

M H C

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Mar-21 23:04:43
Print Post

I spoke with this morning. I ended up with Enhanced BB with the 4G fallback thus will get the static IP £26.95p +VAT.

Previously was paying £22.00p + VAT and was advised by email first thing this morning that it would increase to £28.00p plus VAT if I didn't take out a new 2-year contract at £22.95p.

So considering we now have the full Enhanced package , not too bad.

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 01-Mar-21 23:13:13
Print Post

Seems reasonable and you will probably get a new hub too. So, if you do, tweak the old one to become a WAP. Then make a new SSID and passcode/phrase, set it to Hide SSID and share it with the Committee so that when the other is busy you have you own connection!

M H C

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Mar-21 22:41:31
Print Post

You were right there, I did get a new hub as well.

Anyway, there is no EE signal through the office window. Hawarden is notorious for poor mobile coverage. AT home, I am OK for o2 and Vodafone since they share a mast about 200 metres away. 3 is just about there outside and also, believe it or not, a cracking signal if I connect my Huawei E5776 to my rooftop mounted ADS-B antenna, I kid you not!

If I disconnect the phone line ADSL by the way, not VDSL, will the hub and dongle combination work so as to give a means where I can search other windows to see what EE reception I can get? Just wondering there whether the hub monitors to ensure the dongle is being used as a back-up device and not as a mains powered mobile WiFi.

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 10-Mar-21 22:58:23
Print Post

Yes, I believe that the system will throw up an error if you try to use both at once - so, you cannot take it with you as a mobile device..

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 11-Mar-21 12:32:02
Print Post

Slightly misread what you posted ... if you discoinnect the phone line - effectively "a fault" and take the router on a walkabout, yes you should be fine.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 13-Mar-21 09:59:59
Print Post

One thing I forgot to say about using the 4g with a Static IP.

It will continue to show you are on the same static IP but BQM does not work! Having failed over about 10 times on Thursday, I have dropped the copper connection and am now on 4g permanently until the winds drop. BQM is completely red.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to