General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pgre
(committed) Fri 05-Mar-10 13:40:42
Print Post

Re: FTTC distance from cabinet speed deterioration

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Thats where we need Google in the UK offering Gigabit speeds over fibre..
If only...

There is dark fibre out there.. but its obviously too dark to see.

Regards PGre
Standard User Ignitionnet
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Mar-10 13:42:13
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pgre:
Some people have suggested thats happened already in Basingstoke... but as far as I know its still not live.
But maybe there will be some cross talk even with the lower 8c profile powers limits.

For sure there will be some, per my previous post 8c will reduce it it's impossible to eliminate it without making VDSL worthless.

Stuck on the One Way Internet?
Standard User Pgre
(committed) Fri 05-Mar-10 14:11:03
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Would the answer be to move as much as possible to VDSL then ?
i.e. will multiple VDSL lines affect other VDSL lines.. or just the ADSL lines.. ?

I guess even if they are affected the effects would be less. Well if its FTTC deployments anyway as the Noise should be less anyway due to reduced length of copper line... Just speculating here of course.

Regards PGre

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Mar-10 14:17:30
Print Post

Lots of it, but it is getting it that last mile or even few hundred feet to each home.

A neighbourhood with proper utility ducting or paving slabs that are easily lifted to put a fibre down under are one issue, but a UK street with 100+ years of utilities, tree roots etc

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bookey
(experienced) Fri 05-Mar-10 15:04:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Grief I didn't read the thing, I just kinda know stuff from people who know stuff and google a bit.

Check the PDF and note the downstream transmit power on 8c and how low it is, has to be low to reduce crosstalk with exchange / CO based DSL else you'd have everyone's ADSL sync rates dropping once a VDSL customer went live.

Logic on that if they removed exchange based ADSL/ 2+
People close to the exchange on VDSL2 line cards or FTTH then BT could use a better profile than 8c?
(Crude idea but you see where I am going)

What worries me now is I know people on the edge of the exchange can get around 3mbit but as more people closer to the exchange have VDSL2 the line rate will drop.
Do we know a estimate as to how much it might drop?

Paul
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Mar-10 15:18:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Lots of it, but it is getting it that last mile or even few hundred feet to each home.

A neighbourhood with proper utility ducting or paving slabs that are easily lifted to put a fibre down under are one issue, but a UK street with 100+ years of utilities, tree roots etc
I think Pgre is talking more about backhaul there. I keep hearing that there's loads of dark fibre sitting in the ground all over the country just waiting for tax breaks to make it viable.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Mar-10 15:44:29
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bookey:
Logic on that if they removed exchange based ADSL/ 2+
People close to the exchange on VDSL2 line cards or FTTH then BT could use a better profile than 8c?
(Crude idea but you see where I am going)

What worries me now is I know people on the edge of the exchange can get around 3mbit but as more people closer to the exchange have VDSL2 the line rate will drop.
Do we know a estimate as to how much it might drop?

Openreach might have some ideas but they've not shared them with the public as far as I know.

Basingstoke will give us some answers I imagine.

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Mar-10 15:45:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pgre:
Would the answer be to move as much as possible to VDSL then ?
i.e. will multiple VDSL lines affect other VDSL lines.. or just the ADSL lines.. ?

I guess even if they are affected the effects would be less. Well if its FTTC deployments anyway as the Noise should be less anyway due to reduced length of copper line... Just speculating here of course.

That answer sadly isn't likely to happen. BT Wholesale, Talk Talk, Sky, etc, have quite a lot invested in equipment in the exchanges and whether or not they'll be happy to get rid of lots of it is anyone's guess.

VDSL will crosstalk with VDSL just as it does ADSL.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Fri 05-Mar-10 15:46:16)

Standard User Pgre
(committed) Fri 05-Mar-10 16:16:09
Print Post

Yep.. with many in BStoke having long lines already it will be interesting to see what happens.

I am wondering if anythings happened in Luton.. as FTTC is live there .. well at least one member of the Thinkbroadband forum mentioned there were live.

Regards PGre
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Mar-10 18:10:53
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Again the where from/to is an issue, no good if a firm has loads of spare dark fibres linking its UK premises if they don't have the interconnect to make them much use.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to