General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ggremlin
(regular) Mon 26-Apr-10 16:03:10
Print Post

Re: The BT FTTC line stats thread

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

thanks

looks like the 'last mile' takes circa 8ms wink

edit:
8ms to cabinet, and <10 to exchange

Edited by ggremlin (Mon 26-Apr-10 20:14:27)

Standard User Addnan
(learned) Mon 26-Apr-10 16:56:51
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Hows online gaming on FTTC?

O2 Standard 8mbs.
Standard User msjw
(newbie) Tue 27-Apr-10 08:54:04
Print Post

[re: Addnan] [link to this post]

Playing Modern Warfare 2 regularly I now don't notice any lagging at all. When compared to a 0.4Mbps Sky service, it really is incomparable. Previously, if anyone else in the house was using the Internet; messaging or whatever, you really couldn't play, but now you can throw anything at it and the gaming isn't affected at all.

I've found I'm more likely to host games based on MW2 matchmaking, but mostly only if there are British and European gamers in the party - very few games have ended because an existing host quit out - I would regularly take over as the host. Ping tests I've done have shown up excellent results - but there's still the necessary latency to get across the water to US gamers.

This shows the major benefit of FTTC to me - much more headroom to do more individual things at the same time. Only once did I actually see close to the maximum speeds on a single download - 4.5Mb/s - and iPlayer, XBox and PS3 downloads go very fast. But you're more likely see quick speeds spread across a number of services, rather than one service taking up the whole.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Robbo
(regular) Wed 28-Apr-10 06:55:25
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IamQ:
In reply to a post by Robbo:
Very nice congrats, looking forward to when they finally 'upgrade' our exchange.

Not the exchange - the cab...

Good point wink
Standard User edisnotcircle
(newbie) Wed 28-Apr-10 13:36:20
Print Post

[re: Robbo] [link to this post]

msjw or anyone else! Could you give us some in game ping times for games like cod4 mw, quake, quake3, quake live, counter strike etc etc. To UK servers!. Thanks for putting that stuff about MW2 but let's see some ping times instead please!! smile
Standard User msjw
(newbie) Fri 30-Apr-10 16:28:02
Print Post

[re: edisnotcircle] [link to this post]

Sorry, I'm a lightweight PS3 MW2 player, not a hardcore COD4 MW PC player. So custom servers aren't my thing. I can trying pinging from my PC some UK COD4 servers if it helps, but I don't think that helps you, does it?

Standard User edisnotcircle
(newbie) Mon 03-May-10 18:46:01
Print Post

[re: msjw] [link to this post]

I just want to see some ping times on BT Infinity or any other FTTC provider for games like quake and counter-strike & cod4mw, eg games that have between 20 to 40ms give or take on standard ADSLx and Virgin Cable.
ISP Representative drefsab
(isp) Wed 12-May-10 10:48:45
Print Post

[re: edisnotcircle] [link to this post]

If you can wait until the 18th then I can give you some comparison stats. My FTTC line gets installed then.

Can then give you that vs my virgin 50mbit vs my ADSL LLU line.

Aaron Eldridge
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.
The opinions expressed here are that of my own and not that of ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Wed 12-May-10 13:59:59
Print Post

[re: drefsab] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by drefsab:
If you can wait until the 18th then I can give you some comparison stats. My FTTC line gets installed then.
Will that be BT Infinity, or Zen, or ANOther? If Zen, BT Wholesale based or LLU?

Bob's broadband basic info/help site:
www.robertos.me.uk
ISP history: Demon dialup >> Freeserve dialup >> BT Broadband >> Prodigynet >> Newnet >> O2 Standard.
Domains,web and mail hosting history: Purple Cloud >> Tsohost.
ISP Representative drefsab
(isp) Wed 12-May-10 19:21:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This one will be a Zen line smile and it will be Wholesale based

Aaron Eldridge
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.
The opinions expressed here are that of my own and not that of ZeN Internet

Edited by drefsab (Wed 12-May-10 19:22:19)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to