General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User msjw
(newbie) Mon 22-Mar-10 12:21:37
Print Post

Re: The BT FTTC line stats thread

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
it won't, it's a router. You would need to talk to the modem for that. Does the 2Wire have an external IP address ?

Of course, begging my pardon sir - what I was meaning to say was that the router, as the only point of information I can get to, is not reporting the modems sync speeds. With the router also being the only interface into the modem (at least from my side), I kind of assumed that it might.

I can access the web interface to the 2wire router over a local IP. I don't know of any way to access it via any ssh/telnet interface, like my old netgear. I also don't know of any way to connect to the HG612 modem in the same way - connecting direct to its LAN1/LAN2 ports doesn't give me any dynamic IP (ok, no DHCP server) - nor do I know it's static IP settings to be able to connect to it. If you know any more, please do share, as I'd like to know, thx.

Standard User uno
(member) Mon 22-Mar-10 12:55:14
Print Post

No wireless from the ones we have seen. Single ethernet port at the rear to connect your own "cable" router that supports PPPoE.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Our current offers
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 22-Mar-10 13:16:48
Print Post

[re: msjw] [link to this post]

so does the 2wire's GUI show an external IP address or a WAN side local IP - if the latter then the default gateway would be the address to try.

Probably a PPPoE session on the 2wire passing through the Huawei at a guess, your PC might work connected directly if you set up a PPPoE session for example in windows recent editions "make a broadband connection" wizard.

Does your Huawei have wireless ? the public domain info talks of a wireless interface and a button to turn it on/off.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User msjw
(newbie) Mon 22-Mar-10 14:28:08
Print Post

The 2wire has my external static IP address assigned to it. I'll see if I can establish a PPPoE session later.

The modem has no visible wireless interface - no box light for WLAN, no signal being generated, no wireless on/off button (no interface to configure it!). The modem doesn't look big enough to hold any decent size of antenna anyway. There might be circuitry inside, but there's a "warranty void if broken'' seal on the box to that stops me sneaking a peek for anything obvious.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 22-Mar-10 15:11:09
Print Post

does the box match this page ?

a wifi antenna can be the size of a 50p but the Huawei site may just be messed up.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Mar-10 19:01:59
Print Post

The Openreach modem has the router side disabled, i.e. just a simple IP presentation to the device connecting to the Ethernet port, i.e. very like a lot of US DSL setups.

Do not believe it is using PPPoE either.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 22-Mar-10 20:08:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think it is, as it's Generic Ethernet Access and the router isn't getting the WAN address via DHCP. See also Openreach " Following the upgrade it was found that on some services, during the re-establishment of PPPoE* sessions, the Openreach network did not report the VDSL line rate in the Intermediate Agent message."

SIN498 talks of both PPP and DHCP.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User uno
(member) Mon 22-Mar-10 20:13:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

To the end users CPE? Why do you say that?

The lines that we have are all using PPPoE.. and to answer the question by another poster earlier, yes you can plug a machine in directly and use PPPoE with the provided user/pass to get connected.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Our current offers
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Mar-10 00:32:52
Print Post

interesting stats, thanks for the post.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Mar-10 05:15:20
Print Post

Thanks very much msjw. Hopefully someone on here can figure out how to get line stats out of the modem; I know someone that works for openreach so I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they can put me in touch with some knowledge. I'll try and update the thread with some information.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to