General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User msjw
(newbie) Tue 23-Mar-10 16:10:20
Print Post

Re: The BT FTTC line stats thread

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
Thanks very much msjw. Hopefully someone on here can figure out how to get line stats out of the modem; I know someone that works for openreach so I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they can put me in touch with some knowledge. I'll try and update the thread with some information.

No problem - I'm also hopeful that we can get stats from the modem somehow.

I can also confirm that I can connect my machine using a PPPoE session direct to the modem. When I do that I get the my static IP assigned to me (and default gateway set to my static IP too). I can't seem to find more info on how to access any modem interface when I connect via PPPoE, though.

Standard User oddius
(newbie) Thu 25-Mar-10 09:53:41
Print Post

[re: msjw] [link to this post]

First full day since activation

Engineers measurements: Distance from cab. 400 meters, Attenuation 11dB

Best speeds achieved Speedtest.net - 29.36Mbps Down, 9.38Mbps Up
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/760250280.png[/IMG]

Actual results from engineer's test equipment at socket - unknown
At the cab. speeds (tested by engineer) - unknown

Availability checker reports - 20.5Mpbs Down, 7.7Mps Up

ISP/Package - BT Infinity Option 2

Equipment;
* Huawei HG612 VDSL Modem
* BT Infinity Home Hub 2

Edited by oddius (Thu 25-Mar-10 11:28:48)

Standard User msjw
(newbie) Thu 25-Mar-10 22:55:37
Print Post

[re: oddius] [link to this post]

Did you try any of the other speed testers? I've found they vary greatly - even the speedtest.net one is very sensitive to the server location (& capacity/capability for VDSL?). The most reliable one I've found is mybroadbandspeed.co.uk.

For me, it was strange that the Openreach engineer preferred to use speedtest.net rather than the BT one, speedtester.bt.com.

Edited by msjw (Thu 25-Mar-10 22:57:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User oddius
(newbie) Fri 26-Mar-10 08:26:47
Print Post

[re: msjw] [link to this post]

I've now run all 3 at around 8:10am, yes its very interesting speedtest.net automatic choice is not the fastest, I selected several different servers nearer to me London & MK and you get similar results to BroadbandMax.

BroadbandMax
My Broadband Speed
Speedtest.net

Edited by oddius (Fri 26-Mar-10 08:27:35)

Standard User cleverly
(newbie) Fri 26-Mar-10 08:47:04
Print Post

Hi guys

Sorry to Hijack the thread, got my Infinity installation next week (was originally scheduled for Tuesday just gone....)

Just want to know how long the installation took? Im on holidays next week and my brother is going to cover the house on the day on install. Just want to give him a rough idea on how long it will take.

Bear in mind that i need a Data extension kit run to my PC upstairs, don't know how long this takes

Any help would be great

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Mar-10 09:53:47
Print Post

[re: cleverly] [link to this post]

Data extension kit, just guess at the time it would take to tack a phone extension over the route - think about where you want the wiring to go and let brother know, move furniture to encourage them to take your preferred route

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Mar-10 09:56:13
Print Post

Some speedtests give a peak speed, i.e. if speed is variable they still give a feel good figure (OOKLA based services)

Our tester often fairs badly, but gives a better indication of download performance, as we average over the total time of the download.

The tbbmeter tool is a good way of seeing how fast what you actually download is running at, rather than running a speedtest all the time. It also has a couple of tests built into it.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cleverly
(newbie) Fri 26-Mar-10 10:04:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Data extension kit, just guess at the time it would take to tack a phone extension over the route - think about where you want the wiring to go and let brother know, move furniture to encourage them to take your preferred route

Lol yeah i have made it as "simple" as possible for him, everything is moved out of the way and showed him 3 tmes where i want it placed. Something tells me he still might get confused!

Just looking for a estimated time for install, on the BT site it says it can take up to 3 hours.
Standard User oddius
(newbie) Fri 26-Mar-10 13:14:11
Print Post

Overall all from swapping over the pair at the cabinet (claim to fame we are the first connection to the cabinet in our road) to installing the equipment less that an hour.

We had no other stuff to worry about, ie BT Vision, no data cable extension etc, it was a new install on the master socket downstairs, we'd run a 30m cat5e cable for the switch upstairs we prefer wired to wireless.

He's also supposed to install the software on the CD, if you don't want it tell him.

So now its goodbye to Demon 2.5mb/s HO2+, and the 2nd line.

Oh yes plenty of chat but no cup of tea.

Edited by oddius (Fri 26-Mar-10 13:29:50)

Standard User msjw
(newbie) Fri 26-Mar-10 13:19:11
Print Post

Took just over 2 hours from point engineer rang from the cab to say he was about to start to him finishing all his standard tests (which were repeated many times because they mostly failed). The area around the master socket was pre-cleared so didn't have to involve any tidying.

However, I didn't have a data extension kit installed. (Although I did get one left for diy as my office room is moving from the master socket location to another room soon.) I'd bet on up to 3hrs if a kit install is required. Also, the engineers are very new to this - mine was just out of training - so they may get more efficient over time.

(When compared to oddius' 1hr time, mine seems long - but I did make the engineer a cup of tea and had a good chat to get more info!)

Edited by msjw (Fri 26-Mar-10 13:22:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to