General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sun 19-Sep-10 22:21:02
Print Post

Re: FTTC - which cabinets and when?

[re: arg0naut] [link to this post]

Quite often BT Retail enable exchanges and cabinets based on a marketing plan, not technical availability. Frequently people can get connected via FTTC earlier than BT makes Infinity available to them.

I have a list of FTTC suppliers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Sun 19-Sep-10 22:38:47
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gt94sss2:
Its telegraph pole 759 - but am not sure if this is a BT Cabinet or not- as our road is all telegraph poles.

Nop - that looks very much like a typical south london NTL/Virgin cab.
Standard User arg0naut
(newbie) Sun 19-Sep-10 22:48:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So how can i find out when ? I am happy to peruse the market and choose a different supplier if they can give me what I want smile
According to BT, several people (and I dont neccessarily believe them as I used to be an Engineer myself) have said the checker is the only thing they go by as its due to technical abilities of the line which they test in areas randomly to see if available.(Never heard so much drivel).
I did say somewhere, someone, Marketing, planning, engineering... Openreach would have the details..But alas nothing. What with some people posting on here that the checker is saying they have availability but BT say sorry not until December. As the checker says nothing for me and the date is basicly here, I am worried I may never get it!
I know Sittingbourne was pushed because of Iwade.
My thing is who can we put local pressure on nay petition to get this moving or alert them that people want it.
Thanks in advance for the replies.

Jason
Originally @3.8...now maxed out at around 2.2... No more in the pot to go round frown
Hoping for the Future.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sun 19-Sep-10 22:56:46
Print Post

[re: arg0naut] [link to this post]

You are raising several different issues there.

All I'm saying is that if and when the cabinet is enabled then BT Retail may be a bit slow selling Infinity on it. So you can contact the ISPs I list, and more coming soon, and see what's what.

No need to go round them all. They will all know within a day or so of it being ready for service. So one will basically answer for all.

As for putting pressure on Openreach to speed up the commisioning, you can forget that idea.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User dilus
(regular) Sun 19-Sep-10 23:44:14
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bookey:
ssshhh don't tell everyone! wink

LOL that's where I dropped it smile
I have been following this thread all the way through, not for my own sake but for friends & family that live in built up areas and what it might mean to them in the near future (lucky so and so's)
I live in a small village with it's own (quite large exchange) and as sad as I am I went for a wander tonight with my dog to see if we had any cabs in the village, sadly for me and probably more importantly for Zak (he had to resort to using a telegraph pole)
We have no cabs whatsoever, everything is underground or up poles but Zak is over the moon with the amount of telegraph poles and wants to go again tomorrow night!
I am quite lucky though, I am on an up to 8 meg line and regularly get 6 meg so can not complain despite having to take Zak for a walk more often.
I wonder if your proximity to a cab will effect your house price, I'm thinking of building a dummy cab in front of the house and painting fttc on it in white aerosol, it might p**s the people off in the posh houses two roads up smile

Edited by dilus (Sun 19-Sep-10 23:46:16)

Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Sep-10 19:45:25
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
In reply to a post by jfdi:
Hi
According to the BT Infinity website our local exchange is due to launch with FTTC on 30th September this year.

Does this mean that everyone on the exchange will be able to get some kind of fibre service from that date? Or will it be a postcode lottery for the local cabinets?

From looking at other posts it seems as if cabinets get rolled out individually, is there any way of checking where on the list a particular cabinet sits?

Apologies if this has been answered before,all searches seem to bring back millions of hits. Thanks for your help.

Rgds
JFDI

- The cabinets get selected individually.
- No guarantee all cabinets in an exchange area will get upgraded, nor may they get upgraded at the same time.
- Here in N.Ireland they tend to choose cabinets furthest away from the exchange first. No point giving fibre to people near the exchange who already get up to 20mbit or more while the outskirts get less than 5mbit. Whether the same tactic is followed elsewhere i'm not sure.
- Haven't seen any definite lists of cabinets except for in N.Ireland where we have a nice drop down list to pick the exchange and see.

What is the accuracy of the BT Wholesale broadand checker? As the checker says this when entering in my phone number:
Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 20.6Mbps and upstream line speed of 9.1Mbps.

It specifically says Your cabinet. So not sure if thats just a generic message to say my exchange is going to be enabled or if actually my cab is going to be enabled.

Any idea's on this?

Standard User Ignitionnet
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Sep-10 22:40:20
Print Post

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bobby_Valentino:
What is the accuracy of the BT Wholesale broadand checker? As the checker says this when entering in my phone number:
Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 20.6Mbps and upstream line speed of 9.1Mbps.

It specifically says Your cabinet. So not sure if thats just a generic message to say my exchange is going to be enabled or if actually my cab is going to be enabled.

Any idea's on this?

Yes - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/t/390384...

Your cabinet means precisely that.
Standard User CHELSEACFC
(newbie) Tue 21-Sep-10 09:07:31
Print Post

[re: Jelmok] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jelmok:
Looks like the dates for the Putney exchange might have been pushed back. My line is now showing an enable date of 31st December 2010. Tried a few other addresses in Putney and they show the same. Is yours showing the same ChelseaCFC?

UPDATE - Found a couple of addresses which according to BT wholesale checker are now showing as available. Guess that means my address has been put back frown

Hi,
Well all the addresses around where I live which also have new FTTC cabinets installed have 31st Dec, so Putney exchange must be having problems and have been pushed back?

Cheers,
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Sep-10 16:33:03
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

read that but an official answer from either the ISP or BTWholesale/Openreach would be nice smile

Standard User thinkpl
(newbie) Tue 21-Sep-10 17:56:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

RobertoS

Would you be so kind as to check my local lcab please ? You appear to be a man in the know smile

The old cab has "21" written on it, the new cab next to it has nothing - would it be the same ?

Cab 21 on the Bagshot exchange. Scheduled for enablement on 1st Sept 2010

Much appreciated smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to