General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 31-Mar-11 12:48:19
Print Post

Re: Cost of BT Engineer call-outs

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Intermittency. That’s probably why BT network tests are not finding a problem despite my failing a copper line test run by my ISP. There’s no pattern to the issue and, up till now, the disconnections have been a nuisance (leading to interleaving and slightly reduced speeds) rather than no service (as I experienced back in 2005 when my line card died.)

I am approximately 930 metres from the exchange (straight line distance)
Standard User GeeTee
(member) Thu 31-Mar-11 13:04:40
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

It is not down to the individual engineer. The SFI engineer visit is very clearly defined by Openreach in how it should proceed. The first thing the engineer should do is a pair quality test from the NTE5.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Apr-11 11:16:16
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

Well going by my experience I guess it's down to the individual engineer if they follow OR's procedures! tongue

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Apr-11 12:08:38
Print Post

Re: Thought I was sorted but…

[re: ste__] [link to this post]

No sync drops for a full week despite regular incoming/outgoing phone calls. (The last disconnection before that had no phone association.) Then, this morning, I make a call. Nine-second disconnection. frown I make a couple more calls and the line holds. Weird.

SNR: 15-13 dB
Line Attenuation: 22 dB
Approximately 930 metres from the exchange (straight line distance)

Edited by ARD (Sun 03-Apr-11 12:10:42)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 03-Apr-11 13:49:27
Print Post

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

Not the router then?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Apr-11 14:02:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Not the router...not unless I have 3 faulty routers.
Not the filters...not unless I have 2 packs of faulty filters.
Not my phones...not unless the 2 new ones are faulty along with the two discarded phones.
Not wiring either...not unless the test socket is wired badly (and that would be down to BT)

Made a few more calls....no further sync drop. My ISP ran a copper line test on 18th and reported that this check was failing. Another fault was logged with BT. A week later, BT replied that their network tests suggested nothing amiss. Baffled.

Edited by ARD (Sun 03-Apr-11 14:14:43)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Apr-11 18:44:48
Print Post

Soz, not been following this thread, is this a 21cn (up to 20) circuit you are on ? If so,
seen some like this round here, everything swapped out all the kit, line swapped completely, end to end, and 2 lift and shifts done, and PSTN equipment switched also. All to no avail, still get intermittent drops of sync during phone calls. I *believe* it's the 21cn DSLAM causing the problems, it never happened before on the 20cn stuff.

Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-11 10:23:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes. My line was upgraded to 21CN a year ago. However, there were no obvious problems until 3 March when my neighbours had their BT line reconnected after 13 years. BT botched the job. Their broadband is fine but they were without incoming phone calls for 2 weeks before another engineer came out to fix it.

EDIT: I made 4 phone calls in the last 40 minutes. The first resulted in a 13-second disconnection. The other 3 had no ill-effect. It's unlikely that BT's remote test facility could locate the problem. Even an engineer might have difficulty.

Sync: 8128/ 928

Edited by ARD (Mon 04-Apr-11 12:35:50)

Standard User BP1
(committed) Mon 04-Apr-11 11:29:50
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Soz, not been following this thread, is this a 21cn (up to 20) circuit you are on ? If so,
seen some like this round here, everything swapped out all the kit, line swapped completely, end to end, and 2 lift and shift done, and PSTN equipment switched also. All to no avail, still get intermittent drops of sync during phone calls. I *believe* it's the 21cn DSLAM causing the problems, it never happened before on the 20cn stuff.

This is exactly what happened to me before christmas. BT upgraded to 21CN and ADSL2+. Had constant disconnects from the switch over. Router showed very high errors on upstream only and the disconnects only happened on incomming calls. Had 5 engineer visits. lift and shifts, equipment change but the problem remained. Currently on BT infinity which seems to have resolved everything.
I think your right that there must be problems on some lines with the 21cn product and the BT equipment which they are finding very difficult to find and resolve

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 18:58:12
Print Post

Re: And it gets worse *DELETED*

Post deleted by seb

Edited by ARD (Tue 05-Apr-11 19:00:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread