General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Tue 05-Apr-11 22:18:28
Print Post

Re: 21 WBC Date

[re: mrpwick] [link to this post]

I'm up in Aberdeen on the weekend of the 23/24th of the month. If you don't manage to get anything sorted, I can always pop in on a quick A90 detour.

I don't suppose the haar is causing the speed reduction? laugh

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User mrpwick
(newbie) Wed 06-Apr-11 12:12:36
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I have a socket where the bottom half comes off like your picture. I believe it's a BT NTE 5. That is my Master socket and is downstairs in the Hall. However, my router, a Netgear DGN 2000, is plugged into my Bt socket in my study upstairs.

I do have a Sky box and a burglar alarm, but neither are attached to the telephone. In the dim and distant past I did connect my router to my Master socket, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

camieabz

Thank you for your kind offer, but that week-end we will be taking my grandson back to Wick on the Saturday, staying overnight to see the other 3 then travelling back on the Sunday. Anyway, I hope my problem s will be sorted by then! Is there an Emoticon for crossed fingers?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Apr-11 12:54:10
Print Post

If you have a laptop or normally connect wirelessly to your router, take the router down to the master socket and plug the filter into the test socket - that's the one on the wall at the back with the faceplate removed - but don't use a plug-in phone extension cable to reach the socket.

Read the stats like that. You will probably get a much higher connection speed. Don't bother with speed tests though.

If you do have a much higher connection speed, gently remove the ring wire, see this page, put the master back together, making sure the ring wire doesn't touch any contacts, (but don't cut it), and see what stats you get there then. Should be about the same as the test socket. If not, get back to us with the colours of all the wires and which terminal each is on.

Then assuming there was a gain, take the router back upstairs and see if you get similar at your normal socket.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrpwick
(newbie) Wed 06-Apr-11 13:02:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Roberto

After your previous post I did all that after reading instructions on line. I took the router down to the master socket anyway.
Stats are as follows:-

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 7521 8813 0 4884 14397 00:10:00
LAN 10M/100M 1408 0 0 717 0 00:10:25
WLAN 11M/54M/130M 10405 9183 0 15307 5759 00:10:14

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5440 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 29.0 db 14.0 db
Noise Margin 6.0 db 20.0 db
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Apr-11 13:51:42
Print Post

But did you take the router and plug it into the test socket inside, not the normal socket of the master? You haven't mentioned the test socket in any posts.

Using the outside socket of the master is unlikely to make any difference from your normal socket. The test socket eliminates all internal wiring and any problems with that, or should do.

If you remove the master faceplate, does anything work at the extension? It shouldn't.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User mrpwick
(newbie) Wed 06-Apr-11 15:27:45
Print Post

Sorry Roberto, didn't make myself clear. I read it up on line - removed the face plate and disconnected the "bell wire' and just left the wires attached to terminals 2 and 5.

Then put the faceplate back and connected the router.

Everything works and it seems faster!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Apr-11 16:35:45
Print Post

smile
It's still worth plugging the router into the test socket though and seeing the stats there. (And making sure the extension is dead when the master faceplate is off).

You should certainly be getting more than you are, and that is the only diagnostic that will indicate whether the problem is your end or external.

As I said just now, even the colours of the wires on T2 and T5 can be important.

Standard User mrpwick
(newbie) Wed 06-Apr-11 16:54:23
Print Post

OK. Stats with router plugged into test socket:-

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 232554 308882 0 2667 25773 03:55:49
LAN 10M/100M 7964 0 0 135 0 03:56:14
WLAN 11M/54M/130M 317963 241617 0 26562 3065 03:56:03

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5440 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 29.0 db 14.0 db
Noise Margin 5.9 db 20.0 db

The extension is dead when the faceplate is off.

Did I read somewhere it might take 2 or 3 days to notice an increase in speed?

Edited by mrpwick (Wed 06-Apr-11 16:57:47)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Apr-11 17:18:42
Print Post

frown
No better. Which is unusual.

It isn't likely to matter now, but before you put it back together could you check the wire colours? It was only really relevant if the speed had been higher, but still worth knowing.

You did read the thing about 2-3 days, but that is for the IP Profile to rise if you get a higher connection speed. As you are getting a consistent 5440kbps connection, then you are well into that period, actually up to 5 days. You should get an IP Profile of 4500kbps, which IIRC is a lot more than at the moment.

You don't have any other router you could try do you?

Standard User mrpwick
(newbie) Wed 06-Apr-11 18:42:07
Print Post

The wires to terminals 2 and 5 are both blue and white i.e. 2 separate wires which are both coloured blue and white. The others which I disconnected are both orange/red.

I don't have another router. I give all my old stuff to my Daughter!

Edited by mrpwick (Wed 06-Apr-11 19:35:52)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to