General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sun 29-May-11 23:19:21
Print Post

Target SNRM, errors and DLM

[link to this post]

I have a long, noisy line and struggle to maintain a 1000 kpbs profile. Over the last few weeks my SNRM seems to have been drifting upwards and is now at around 11.5 dB. Today there was a jump from 8.5 to 11.5 and I was wondering if that was the DLM? There was no disconnect - the synch remained at 1152 kbps - the lowest speed for a 1000 kpbs profile. Hopefully, I won't have a disconnection as I suspect I will not be able to synch at 1152 again and with a profile of 1000 you don't want to be losing anything. From what I've read, it seems to be a matter of being patient and hoping that the line/DLM will sort themselves out. Does anyone know how a line is judged to be stable in terms of error counts (CRCs, HECs, FECs) before the target SNRM is dropped??
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-May-11 23:35:00
Print Post

Re: Target SNRM, errors and DLM

[re: Frank873] [link to this post]

BT don't publish the error rates that trigger things frown.

Please can you post your line stats from the router? Preferably including the error figures, but certainly the up connection speed, and both up and down attenuations.

Have you been raising issues with your ISP?

From what you say so far, it could even be that something that was disturbing your line has gone away. You haven't had a neighbour just go on holiday have you? Or move out?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sun 29-May-11 23:42:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Router is a Speedtouch 585v8. Changed from a Netgear DG834v2 five or so weeks ago.

Here are the numbers:

Uptime: 1 day, 9:17:26
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 672 / 1,184
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,152
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 275.15
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 63.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 11.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 5 / 1,768
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 5 / 21
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 54

Haven't spoken to Orange recently.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-May-11 00:04:41
Print Post

On the face of it, my suggestion at the end of my previous post is feasible. Some noise source has ceased.

In your position I would wait until well after sunrise tomorrow and do a re-sync. Before you do that though, have a browse through the BT DLM, IP profile and Noise margin pages on my website, but more importantly, if you already know that stuff, go to the Troubleshooting section and home in on the Ring/bell wire, High SNRM/Margin and Miscellaneous Nasties pages.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Mon 30-May-11 08:55:27
Print Post

Thanks - I am well acquainted with your site - and very useful it has been too!

Ring/bell wire is removed. I had an NTE5 installed (Openreach) to replace an old style LJU3 to allow easy isolation from internal (cat5e) wiring. I usually don't connect to the master socket directly - tests show some effect from the internal cabling but I haven't yet decided whether to change the modem location. Filters have been replaced recently. I use a DECT phone plugged into an extension socket - when it rings there is a small increase in errors logged by the modem. I haven't managed to figure this one out yet.

My next door neighbours are away but have been so for a few days now and the jump only occurred yesterday - hard to say if there is a link but it is certainly worth remembering. May get resolved when they return!

Will post new data if/when I re-synch - the prospect of dropping to 0.5 Mbps again is painful ....
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-May-11 09:37:15
Print Post

when it rings there is a small increase in errors logged by the modem. I haven't managed to figure this one out yet.

Very common, and not a fault as such, if there were many errors associated with phone use, then there might be something to chase.

Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Mon 30-May-11 11:38:37
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Next installment. I had to go out and when I returned the modem had resynched all by itself. Numbers here:

Uptime: 0 days, 0:50:55
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 784 / 2,016
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,856
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 2.31
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 17.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.0 / 8.0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 65,540 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 30 / 3,935
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 31 / 259
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 24 / 801

I have never synched at that speed ever before. Error counts are much higher. Not sure I believe the Error Seconds figure though. Let's hope it stays stable and that the profile ups itself (to 1500?) over the next two or three days.

Thanks everyone.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-May-11 12:13:44
Print Post

[hunch]
Please can you post the link to what samknows says about your exchange.

Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Mon 30-May-11 19:23:08
Print Post

Samknows link to my exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EACOM

There was a further change in the SNRM from 8 to 6 after some three hours from the initial reconnect but no further disconnection. Here is a link to the RouterStats data over the period covered by this post:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5777474124...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-May-11 19:43:22
Print Post

The exchange doesn't show what I thought it might. So no real idea what is going on.

What sync is it now at? I can't work it out from the RS pic.

Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Mon 30-May-11 19:51:25
Print Post

1856 - hasn't changed from this morning as no more re-synchs

Here are the latest Router stats:

Uptime: 0 days, 9:06:13
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 784 / 2,016
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,856
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 68.17
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 17.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.0 / 5.5
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 65,567 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 31 / 9,057,553
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 31 / 1,682
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 82 / 13,718
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 30-May-11 20:58:12
Print Post

Gut feel is that you may have a resync overnight - about 1:00 or 2:00 AM as your resync was at the quietest time of day.

You may need to resync early morning tomorrow to get the figure back up but do it after sunrise but before breakfast.

Also, think about a better modem/router - 2wire 2700 HGV as good long line performance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Wed 01-Jun-11 20:22:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Just an update - no resynch until today around 6 pm when synch speed dropped to 1440 with SNRM of 6 dB just afterwards. There seems to be some extra noise back as the SNRM value is fluctuating more than usual around this 6 dB mark but I don't know the source.

Is the 2wire that much better?
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Wed 01-Jun-11 22:42:05
Print Post

Its got a top notch modem for marignal lines and has good wireless (even the gimped uk version).

What ISP are you with though? 2700's can be a little tricky when it comes to firmware and making sure you can get it setup right since they are exclusivly sold/distributed by ISP's since 2wire don't sell direct to market or retail stores - the firmware is getting more locked down with every revision and the ISP's have control over auto updates.

Edited by FRS_Plunderer (Wed 01-Jun-11 22:44:33)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 01-Jun-11 22:44:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Frank873:

Probably ... In almost all cases (90% +) where I have installed, suggested or recommended a 2wire 2700 there has been a measurable improvement.

You can pick up a new boxed one on ebay for around £10-£15 - or as a friend did recently 99p + £3.50 postage!

M H C

Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 02-Jun-11 09:27:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:

Probably ... In almost all cases (90% +) where I have installed, suggested or recommended a 2wire 2700 there has been a measurable improvement.

You can pick up a new boxed one on ebay for around £10-£15 - or as a friend did recently 99p + £3.50 postage!
It gave me about another 1Mb on my line, so I too would recommend it, but my ADSL days are now gone!

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 02-Jun-11 09:40:32
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:

It gave me about another 1Mb on my line, so I too would recommend it, but my ADSL days are now gone!

You have a ready market for your old 2700!

M H C

Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 02-Jun-11 09:50:23
Print Post

I'm using it as a wireless repeater at the moment but no doubt it will end up being given to a friend who needs a new router!

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 02-Jun-11 11:01:00
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I'm using it as a wireless repeater at the moment but no doubt it will end up being given to a friend who needs a new router!

I am running four 2700s as WAPs off my 2701 ! Nothing gets through my floors - steel sheets!

M H C

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 04-Jun-11 00:03:12
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

Anything before 6.1.48 can be changed for almost any UK ISP ... not heard of a failure yet.

And as I have said before - the modem is excellent. 2Wire went out and had a decent modem designed to their exacting standards and NOT just a generic chipset. I've met a couple of the design team on one of my many trips to LA and SoCal - not secrests given away but the front end cost a fortune to design and is, possibly, from what I gleaned, auto adjusted/tweaked depending on the country of install/software version.

M H C

(experienced) Sat 04-Jun-11 07:46:53
Print Post

Biggest loss with V6 firmware was the MDC, that had some great tools. Hopefully there's still something in there that someone just needs to stumble across but with the auto updates that the firmware allows, any discoveries may quickly disappear.

Quest firmware is useful on the newest V6 firmware models - its a bit quicker to react when navigating the routers setup pages and fully unlocked.

Its a shame they'll never release a generic firmware though - I can understand the policy since their customers are ISP's not you or me and therefore can't be seen to be circumventing their ISP's policies.

But yeah it is a top piece of kit and I always end up coming back to it after having a play with whatever else I've gotten my hands on... so glad I got a V5 and immediately changed to singtel firmware - little change singtel are ever going to try and update the firmware since the seem to have completely discontinued the router in their lineup.

How does the new BT 2701HGV-C compare?

Edited by FRS_Plunderer (Sat 04-Jun-11 14:24:31)

Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sat 04-Jun-11 10:45:05
Print Post

Thanks everyone. I will see if I can get hold of a 2wire.

One other point I wanted to ask about: I always understood that noise levels are higher in the evening/night. However, monitoring the SNR margin on my modem using RouterStats over the last few days seems to show that the Noise margin is slightly higher during the night than the day. There is not a lot of variation as the range is only from 3.5 to 5 dB but it's definitely higher at night. Any ideas?
(experienced) Sun 05-Jun-11 14:08:40
Print Post

So just to be clear - your router is reporting a downstream SNR margin of 3.5db during the day and 5db at night?
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sun 05-Jun-11 15:09:28
Print Post

Yes. I was thinking it could mean that there is some other kind of noise which is swamping the normal day/night noise cycle.

I've been round the house checking appliances, connections, etc. but haven't spotted anything noticeable except for the phone. if I unplug the phone, the SNR margin drops by 2 dB - plug it back in, back up goes the SNR margin by the same 2 dB amount. I think this is because the phone is plugged into a wall extension at the end of the daisy chain on the extension cabling in the house and maybe when it's not terminated it's acting like an antenna?
(experienced) Mon 06-Jun-11 08:23:42
Print Post

Its a first to me but if you have a long extension run it may be preventing some signal reflection at the end of it - mabey like the chain terminators that were put on data cables and ribbons.

From the sounds if it a bit of an internal rewire might be an idea for you.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-Jun-11 22:55:24
Print Post

Yes. I was thinking it could mean that there is some other kind of noise which is swamping the normal day/night noise cycle.

I've been round the house checking appliances, connections, etc. but haven't spotted anything noticeable except for the phone. if I unplug the phone, the SNR margin drops by 2 dB - plug it back in, back up goes the SNR margin by the same 2 dB amount. I think this is because the phone is plugged into a wall extension at the end of the daisy chain on the extension cabling in the house and maybe when it's not terminated it's acting like an antenna?
The margin falls when you unplug the phone? It should do very little, but if anything it should rise.

What happens if you also unplug the phone power supply from the mains?

Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Mon 06-Jun-11 23:46:52
Print Post

Yes it fell by 2 dB. I have just repeated the exercise and it is behaving slightly differently. Dropped by 0.5 dB only when I unplugged the phone but didn't bother going back to its original value when I plugged it back in again. My 585v8 only reports the noise in 0.5 dB steps which doesn't help.

Unplugging the phone power supply made no difference when I tried it - with and without the phone being plugged also. It looks like something has changed somewhere - the effect was reproducible when I first reported it. There's something funny going on but likely to be very specific to my house, equipment and wiring and possibly time of day. I'll need to do some more thorough testing.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-Jun-11 00:48:12
Print Post

Sky box been replaced? Filter on it checked anyway?

Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Tue 07-Jun-11 06:44:09
Print Post

Sky box is not connected.
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Fri 10-Jun-11 15:52:51
Print Post

I acquired a 2Wire 2700-HGV as recommended which is synching at 1600 to 1632 kbps and appears to be rock-solid at 6 dB noise. I'm not seeing any of the noise variations I used to see previously including that effect from unplugging the phone connection.

I may consider re-siting the modem to the master socket to see if I can make it up to the next BRAs profile band.

Many thanks to everyone for their help.
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Mon 13-Jun-11 22:34:28
Print Post

I had a question on the 2700's performance. I'm using RouterStats to monitor the SNR margin. I'm surprised to see absolutely no variation regardless of the time of day or night. There aren't even any small spikes. Can someone explain what this means please? Wouldn't one expect to see some variation in the reported margin?
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sat 02-Jul-11 16:57:27
Print Post

Question (and please say if this should have been posted in a new thread): If I connect at the test socket on the NTE5 ie. no internal wiring in play, I can get a sync at 1856 kbps. If I put on the face-plate (Clarity) I can only get 1440. If I connect with exactly the same set-up but from an extension I can get a sync at 1856 kbps.

How can you get a higher sync at an extension than at the master socket? 400 kbps difference seems a lot.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sat 02-Jul-11 17:06:29
Print Post

Question (and please say if this should have been posted in a new thread): If I connect at the test socket on the NTE5 ie. no internal wiring in play, I can get a sync at 1856 kbps. If I put on the face-plate (Clarity) I can only get 1440. If I connect with exactly the same set-up but from an extension I can get a sync at 1856 kbps.

How can you get a higher sync at an extension than at the master socket? 400 kbps difference seems a lot.

I have known this, and the problem was a dry solder joint at the filter faceplate ADSL socket.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 02-Jul-11 17:11:01
Print Post

Is the extension wiring connected to the faceplate, or is it connected behind the wall socket?

What I mean is, if you remove the faceplate, does the extension stop working?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sat 02-Jul-11 18:14:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes, if the faceplate is removed the extension stops working.
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Sat 02-Jul-11 20:06:23
Print Post

How can you get a higher sync at an extension than at the master socket?
with the clarity master faceplate normally installed, you would NOT get an adsl signal at the extension.
I suspect the extension is wired a/b terminals, not 'phone (2/5).
thus, at the master faceplate there's horrible 'reflections' from the extension wiring.
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sat 02-Jul-11 21:17:55
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

with the clarity master faceplate normally installed, you would NOT get an adsl signal at the extension.
thus, at the master faceplate there's horrible 'reflections' from the extension wiring.

You are correct about a/b being connected. The same effect used to happen even without the Clarity faceplate though - just with the standard faceplate. I guess it was the same issue?

It would be inconvenient to site the router at the master socket hence the use of a/b and the extensions. I don't see much, if any, difference between the sync at the extension and at the test socket on the NTE5 so there seems little point in plugging the modem into the master and disconnecting the extensions altogther. It's frustrating as I was hoping that getting rid of the extension cabling would give me some more sync. Best profile I can get is 1500.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Jul-11 22:18:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
How can you get a higher sync at an extension than at the master socket?
The whole point of the a/b terminals is to allow ADSL connection at the extension. There shouldn't be a problem.

I think systemx hits the nail. A faulty ADSL faceplate.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Jul-11 22:21:43
Print Post

Don't play around more than 4-5 times an hour. Assuming you are on a BT Wholesale based circuit you could cause a much worse problem.

Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sun 03-Jul-11 00:08:51
Print Post

Don't play around more than 4-5 times an hour. Assuming you are on a BT Wholesale based circuit you could cause a much worse problem.

Thanks. I'm aware of the risk so I restrict playing around to just a few times per hour.

I get the same low sync at the master socket with both the original NTE5 faceplate and the Clarity - doesn't this make it unlikely that it's the faceplate responsible?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 03-Jul-11 07:56:16
Print Post

Some photos of the internals of your phone sockets, showing the wiring, might be useful.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Sun 03-Jul-11 10:25:56
Print Post

given you get the same at the extension, (via a/b) as you do at the test socket, there is little you can do by improving internal wiring.
[but if you wanted to use the router at the master faceplate, then connect extensions via 2/5]

so, really its try a different router,
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sun 03-Jul-11 17:41:23
Print Post

there is little you can do by improving internal wiring

yes - this was my view too. Disappointing as I was hoping to eke out a bit more sync by completely removing any extension cabling.

I've tried a 2Wire, as suggested, recently - holds rock steady at 6 db and syncs in 1600 to 1700 kbps range. Currently using a Billion 7800N with a bit of SNRM tweak: gives me between 1750 and 1850 kbps and again the sync is rock solid down to 3.5 db or so. I think that's probably as good as it's going to get unfortunately unless anybody has any other ideas.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to