General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Mon 13-Jun-11 22:34:28
Print Post

Re: Target SNRM, errors and DLM

[re: Frank873] [link to this post]

I had a question on the 2700's performance. I'm using RouterStats to monitor the SNR margin. I'm surprised to see absolutely no variation regardless of the time of day or night. There aren't even any small spikes. Can someone explain what this means please? Wouldn't one expect to see some variation in the reported margin?
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sat 02-Jul-11 16:57:27
Print Post

Question (and please say if this should have been posted in a new thread): If I connect at the test socket on the NTE5 ie. no internal wiring in play, I can get a sync at 1856 kbps. If I put on the face-plate (Clarity) I can only get 1440. If I connect with exactly the same set-up but from an extension I can get a sync at 1856 kbps.

How can you get a higher sync at an extension than at the master socket? 400 kbps difference seems a lot.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sat 02-Jul-11 17:06:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Frank873:
Question (and please say if this should have been posted in a new thread): If I connect at the test socket on the NTE5 ie. no internal wiring in play, I can get a sync at 1856 kbps. If I put on the face-plate (Clarity) I can only get 1440. If I connect with exactly the same set-up but from an extension I can get a sync at 1856 kbps.

How can you get a higher sync at an extension than at the master socket? 400 kbps difference seems a lot.

I have known this, and the problem was a dry solder joint at the filter faceplate ADSL socket.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 02-Jul-11 17:11:01
Print Post

Is the extension wiring connected to the faceplate, or is it connected behind the wall socket?

What I mean is, if you remove the faceplate, does the extension stop working?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sat 02-Jul-11 18:14:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes, if the faceplate is removed the extension stops working.
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Sat 02-Jul-11 20:06:23
Print Post

How can you get a higher sync at an extension than at the master socket?
with the clarity master faceplate normally installed, you would NOT get an adsl signal at the extension.
I suspect the extension is wired a/b terminals, not 'phone (2/5).
thus, at the master faceplate there's horrible 'reflections' from the extension wiring.
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sat 02-Jul-11 21:17:55
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

with the clarity master faceplate normally installed, you would NOT get an adsl signal at the extension.
thus, at the master faceplate there's horrible 'reflections' from the extension wiring.

You are correct about a/b being connected. The same effect used to happen even without the Clarity faceplate though - just with the standard faceplate. I guess it was the same issue?

It would be inconvenient to site the router at the master socket hence the use of a/b and the extensions. I don't see much, if any, difference between the sync at the extension and at the test socket on the NTE5 so there seems little point in plugging the modem into the master and disconnecting the extensions altogther. It's frustrating as I was hoping that getting rid of the extension cabling would give me some more sync. Best profile I can get is 1500.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Jul-11 22:18:53
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
How can you get a higher sync at an extension than at the master socket?
The whole point of the a/b terminals is to allow ADSL connection at the extension. There shouldn't be a problem.

I think systemx hits the nail. A faulty ADSL faceplate.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Jul-11 22:21:43
Print Post

Don't play around more than 4-5 times an hour. Assuming you are on a BT Wholesale based circuit you could cause a much worse problem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Frank873
(newbie) Sun 03-Jul-11 00:08:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't play around more than 4-5 times an hour. Assuming you are on a BT Wholesale based circuit you could cause a much worse problem.

Thanks. I'm aware of the risk so I restrict playing around to just a few times per hour.

I get the same low sync at the master socket with both the original NTE5 faceplate and the Clarity - doesn't this make it unlikely that it's the faceplate responsible?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to