General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 09-Mar-12 16:29:39
Print Post

Re: BT to further extend ADSL2+ coverage

[re: LadFromWales85] [link to this post]

Sorry i got the dates wrong, well looking at you're exchange Sam knows already says that Sky and TT llu are both avaliable, sky llu is very good and TT has good resellers of their llu product.

Their is a pretty good choice now and BT's 21CN offering will offer the same, so why not go with the 2 that are already present. Then switch to BT if you want when the exchange is finally enabled.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User LadFromWales85
(committed) Fri 09-Mar-12 22:35:58
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

ccxo,
I switched one of my lines to Sky when the exchange got unbundled, and it was terrible. I synced at the full 19995 and saw kilobits during the evening and latency through the roof. Perhaps it's sorted by now, that being over a year ago, but it lasted months after I returned my line to BT/AAISP. Even for £7.50 a month I wasn't prepared to put up with that!

It effected all Sky/Easynet exchanges across North Wales, which were all fed from Manchester, the link was probably being hammered by the massive influx of new customers due to Sky unbundling so many exchanges at once.

The lack of even a single static IP, let alone IPv6, is a let down, also!

My Broadband Speed Test
AAISP via 2x20CN
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 10-Mar-12 10:03:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by LadFromWales85:
but it lasted months after I returned my line to BT/AAISP.
In that case, it wasn't Sky but a problem with your line.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Sat 10-Mar-12 14:35:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hell of a conclusion to jump to?!

LOL, I either wrote my sentence incorrectly, or you misunderstood how I wrote it.
The problem at Sky, lasted months after I returned my line to BT/AAISP. As in, for months after I took my line back, there were many many complaints on Skyuser and Sky's own forums regarding throughput and latency issues. See here http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Speed/Sky-...

For the record, during offpeak times on Sky, between midnight and 3PM, downstream speeds were in excess of 2MB/sec, or in excess of 16Mbit/sec, whichever you prefer.

My Broadband Speed Test
AAISP via 2x20CN
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 10-Mar-12 15:05:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by LadFromWales85:
Hell of a conclusion to jump to?!

LOL, I either wrote my sentence incorrectly, or you misunderstood how I wrote it.
The problem at Sky, lasted months after I returned my line to BT/AAISP. As in, for months after I took my line back, there were many many complaints on Skyuser and Sky's own forums regarding throughput and latency issues. See here http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Speed/Sky-...
Oh I see, you think there were problems for months after you left. There were no problems on my Sky connection, so my experience says you were mistaken.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 10-Mar-12 15:06:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Mar-12 15:20:59
Print Post

Unless you were both on the same exchange and using the same backhaul link, then it is entirely reasonable that both of you are right.

Since congestion on one exchange in one part of the country, does not equal congestion at another, and vice versa.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-12 16:16:20
Print Post

I am glad that you experienced no problems with your Sky connection, your experience is the same as that of most Sky users.
Sadly for me, Sky at my exchange and other exchanges fed from the same backhaul along North Wales, at around December 2010 to January 2011, produced a much less fortunate experience. There is plenty discussion about this on Sky's forum should you need more information.

I can imagine, over 12 months on, that any problems have long since been fixed. I can imagine that the number of exchanges in the area unbundled within a short time frame is mostly to blame.

I will hold fire with 20CN for now, and will upgrade to 21CN when it becomes available to me, or BE, whichever comes sooner, allowing me to remain with AAISP. If Sky offered to foot the bill of installing a line for it's service I'd consider it along side my current connections, but for now I'll continue plodding along on standard ADSL.

Of course, pound for pound, on throughput alone, your connection is vastly superior! smile

My Broadband Speed Test
AAISP via 2x20CN
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 11-Mar-12 17:37:55
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

Samknows is now updated to reflect the spreadsheet for my RFS date. Others may care to check if their exchange had changed.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Mar-12 09:07:42
Print Post

Bt Engineers locally claim circa 10k lines on SWPM... its hard to know, but certainly far more than the Sam Knows figure which seems to have not updated for at least 5 years despite lots of development here, in that time several areas served off of SWPM that have seen significant numbers of new builds or conversions, so the figure quoted to me by local engineers are very credible.

3 smaller exchanges in Pembrokeshire have/are about to have WBC, me - I voted with my feet last weekend and signed up to Vivaciti who can now offer unbundled services on Pembroke exchange (SWPM), so for the same money I should be seeing better speeds, and getting away from the yellow VPs that illustrate BTw's neglect here with no fix date published - drops to sub 1 meg speeds in the evening on a line that has an Ip profile of 6000 when connected to an IPSC node is below 75% loading is not (in my view) a broadband service performing within acceptable parameters. Tenby is even worse being red for some time now - and we are supposed to believe that BTw is treating all of its customers in an open handed way?

In the past time I have had BT supporters telling me that BTw need the income from people being connected to their services to generate the finance for upgrades, well where they have no competition it seems they are happy to take our money and invest that in other areas while we fell further behind and suffer slow unreliable services. No more for me... and others are taking the same route here now, why should we pay through the nose for a crawl while watching other areas getting upgrade after upgrade while BTw seem happy to allow our service to degrade to levels best described as "farce".

Its not just smaller exchnages that miss out it seems, and if there is a technical reason for this BTw would do themselves a lot of PR good if they explained the issues to those in the affected area inmstead of allowing us to feel that we have been deliberately passed over.... of course this may be the case... and I suspect that is the case in many places.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
VP status Yellow
Leaving the BTw 8 meg crawl behind thanks to Vivaciti LLU from 20th March
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to