General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Fri 20-Jan-12 10:07:32
Print Post

Re: 21CN WBC status date kept changing- now ACTIVATED But...

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If I'm using the "crow fly straight" method to the exchange, it's around 0.8 miles. So I should be getting better down/upload speed, correct?

I'll give your troubleshooting page a read over the weekend and see what I can achieve.

Cheers.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-12 10:14:46
Print Post

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

Any distance you measure is irrelevant once you know the attenuation. Attenuation is a real-time measure of the effect of distance on your connection. It depends on the actual length and quality of the cabling, which can be way different from the "crow flies" or even the road map route. The higher the attenuation the lower your connection speed.

As I said, with your attenuation you should have had well over 7Mbps on ADSL, and now be heading towards 11Mbps on ADSL2.

You really do need to get the stats from the test socket, connecting the way I specified smile. But don't do lots of disconnections within an hour. A few is safe.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 20-Jan-12 10:17:37)

Standard User hypertony
(committed) Sat 21-Jan-12 00:27:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the additional details, now make sense.

While we're on this, here's the latest stats - have not rebooted or moved the router to the test socket yet...

Up Speed: 867800
Down Speed : 3519700
SNR Margin: 5.0
Loop Att.: 41.0

Is this a sign of the line being "settled down" after the ADSL2+ upgrade? Should I wait until the 7 days training period finishes, or should I go ahead and test it from the test socket?

Cheers.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Jan-12 00:51:05
Print Post

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

Go ahead and try the test socket.

Incidentally it's 10-day training, not 7, and it is completely irrelevant in your case. See this page. As your sync is hideously below what it should be, all that is happening is that the Maximum Stable Rate and Fault Thrwshold Rate that it sets will be highly disadvantageous to you.

Once we find the cause of the low speed and get it corrected, you will need to ask for a fresh 10-day period to set things correctly.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 21-Jan-12 00:51:32)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to