General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spikester84
(regular) Tue 01-Nov-11 13:47:52
Print Post

Re: BT fibre broadband cable UK rollout accelerated

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

I live in Lossiemouth in the Highlands of Scotland, and find BT's rollout of Fibre Optic and 21CN (ADSL2+) rather puzzling.

Nairn, which is about half an hour away from me, is getting BT Infinity at the end of this year, when Elgin, which is a much much larger place than Nairn, and only about 20mins drive from Elgin, is left with nothing. Also a small rural town called Hopeman which is about a 5 minute drive away from me in Lossiemouth has just been upgraded to ADSL2+.

I have got in contact with BT to see if they will be upgrading the Lossiemouth exchange but they really know sweet eff all about anything. Im in Market 2 as well so I dont know if that improves my chances of getting BT's faster broadband!

Steve

P.S. Click on the town names to see there SamKnows info......

Edited by Spikester84 (Tue 01-Nov-11 13:49:33)

Standard User James8282
(learned) Tue 01-Nov-11 15:01:53
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

So does that mean if your Exchange isn't enabled by 2014 its not gonna be upgraded?

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 01-Nov-11 16:04:59
Print Post

[re: James8282] [link to this post]

Call me cynical, but I expect 2014 targets to be met (in that they are not too adventurous), but before then other targets added. Somewhere, someone has worked out which exchanges will give the best population per exchange to get the 80% on 10 Meg+ by 'x' year or 90% on broadband by 'x' year.

I think 100% on ADSL2+ or better by 2015 would be a more suitable target. That way, the limitations are down to distance from the exchange or individual wiring issues, rather than a national strategy shortfall. The wholesalers and the government can at least show willing, and many of the more remote areas will accept their lot due to their location.

Keep in mind that ADSLmax rolled out to most around 2005. Ten years later, and little improvement for many areas etc.

Here's my own situation. Market 3, accessible village. Population of less than 5000, less than 3000 residential premises and less than 100 commercial properties. However, I get 6.5 Meg and healthy pings. I will probably get 12-14 Meg on ADSL2+ (not sure of FTTx speeds). I am not particularly close to the exchange either.

I find it strange that a village which can get such speeds is bypassed for upgrades when it could certianly do with increased business investment (increased BB speeds would help in this case). Suffice it to say my village isn't that needy compared to others, but neither are those exchanges on the list it seems.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenNSFOC
(newbie) Tue 01-Nov-11 17:20:22
Print Post

[re: Spikester84] [link to this post]

I'm exactly the same, I live in Mosstodloch and I don't see why they would get faster broadband before Elgin.
Standard User epyon
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 17:24:05
Print Post

I'm just up in aberdeen

only two exchanges here are being enabled

one in dec and one in march.

BE*Unlimited 15713/1321Kbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Tue 01-Nov-11 19:12:02
Print Post

Welcome to the digital devide !

i can say whatever i want as i no longer work for the [censored]!
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Nov-11 20:00:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spikester84:
I live in Lossiemouth in the Highlands of Scotland, and find BT's rollout of Fibre Optic and 21CN (ADSL2+) rather puzzling.

Lovely area - strange rollout. Forres has two exchanges in town (Findhorn and Forres) and the main Forres exchange now has LLU from TalkTalk and Sky/Easynet, but still no 21CN from BTwholesale.

BT's 20CN services are very poor in that area too, I'm tech lead on a project that has 8 lines.

I suspect some of the other smaller exchanges that have had TalkTalk LLU fitted, are connecting back to a bigger exchange. Maybe fibre down the A96 wink

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Nov-11 20:03:26
Print Post

[re: James8282] [link to this post]

No you cannot assume that, as there is the BDUK and many county council projects to get superfast broadband to close to 90% of homes, i.e. 20 to 30% on top of BT coverage by 2014, and also ensure 100% coverage of 2Mbps

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Nov-11 20:05:45
Print Post

BT has only ever said 66% of UK homes, not 66% of each country that makes up the UK

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Nov-11 20:10:04
Print Post

The RAF base and its closure that was turned around may have something to do with it, not looked at the precise demographics for the area

BT is under no obligation to publish its commercial plans, we are lucky to get the few plans we get now.

Sometimes a co-operative local council can make a difference, i.e. cabinet locations where permission is not a problem.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to