General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Thu 19-Jan-12 17:38:08
Print Post

Re: SNOD Exchange and FTTC

[re: leedsit] [link to this post]

The only trouble with satellite is the latency times are pretty high. I'm sure you've seen the effect on live interviews on the news; that's the kind of delay you'll encounter when browsing the net.
Voip calls and online gaming? Pretty difficult.

If its not a concern then, well, fine, but if you had nights of gaming planned you might wish yo think again!

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-12 15:15:31
Print Post

What's the 3G signal like in your area? May prove to be a good solution -- certainly better than satellite.
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Mon 23-Jan-12 15:32:55
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

Hi,

Already tried 3G, not an option, Ive even tried to find wimax solutions, but guess what.. no coverage.

Totally understand Satellite will have around 500-600ms latency, so plan to keep the BT ADSL for gaming and Skype as the latency is around 40ms and use Satellite for video steaming and larger downloads. Most have 10-15GB limits which ill be well within.

Ill use BT ADSL with a Default gateway of 192.168.1.254 for my gaming PC and the Satellite router with 192.168.1.253 for all my other devices.

Cheers, Lee

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-12 12:57:31
Print Post

Look into 3G900 on o2. Looks like pretty good reception where you live. You'll need a device that supports 3G on the 900MHz band.

You may also be able to get 3s HSPA+ coverage if you have an externally mounted antenna.
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Thu 29-Mar-12 10:08:29
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

Hi ccxo,

dont suppose you know if there are any updates for my cab?

NDSNO SNODLAND ME21JB {NDSNO}{P10} 0 100%

Samknows states FTTC 1st of March and 21stcent end of may.

Cheers, Lee.

Edited by leedsit (Thu 29-Mar-12 10:09:04)

Standard User ccxo
(committed) Thu 29-Mar-12 16:30:08
Print Post

Hi we are still on the December spreadsheet so no more information is known, their is alot of BT work that is scheduled going on in Snodland, your cab may appear in a later phase but i cannot say for certain.

The best thing to do is for you and your neighbours to register their interest below and register on the BT infinity site, if you can get say 30-50 people plus registering a interest then its very likely OR will come back and enable the cabinet.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen....

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Fri 30-Mar-12 08:38:20
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Thanks CCXO.

I have already performed a leaflet drop to our village and even tried to get enough people to sign up so we can have wireless 30MB (www.medwave.co.uk), but not many takers out of 200 houses. All i can presume is that they are all happy with their broadband or its not an issue for them, i think 750kbps is very poor tbh.

Ive opted for 10 MB Satellite broadband to compliment my adsl link, so think all i can do is sit tight and see what happens. Use ADSL for gaming and satelitte for the rest.

lee.

Edited by leedsit (Fri 30-Mar-12 09:09:59)

Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-12 20:52:28
Print Post

Well the Satellite guy came to fit on Tuesday and guess what... bar a pole or small tower in my garden, there is no where for the dish to go

So no satellite, no 3g, no 3g 900, no Medwave wireless, no fibre, only option is to stick with BT, how very frustrating....

So plan B, what options do I have with BT and my line, as mentioned before when I first moved in I would sync around 1.4..1.5meg stable, best I get now is 1meg and thats lowering the SNR limit from 6db down to 3db which does make the line a little less stable. Twice ive logged this with BT and they say they can do nothing more.

Fact I know I had 1.5 meg, and Fact we do still get crossed lines even though the engineer assures me we dont. Any pointers?

lee.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Apr-12 20:58:40
Print Post

According to samknows, you have the following available:

FTTC
Virgin
BE
Sky
TalkTalk

What are your current line stats?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-12 21:19:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It does say that but im on Cab10, which im afraid doesnt have FTTC. If you look at the exchange location (SNOD) and "upper halling, kent", you`ll see why our lines are not so good. So my only option is Copper...

As the crow flies, were about 1.5K from our Cab, then the Cab is probably another 2K from the exchange.

But from memory(as ive done this alot), our Attenuation Down is 63.5, SNR Down is 3dB and Sync speed is 900k.

** when i first moved in, and ADSL was installed by BT, the engineer with his tester managed a SYNC at 2meg, my router got 1.5 give or take, when the engineer came two/three months back, his synced at around 1meg which was inline with my router at around 900k. All testing has been done my the master socket. From there I have a new BT ADSL Faceplate with a RJ45 connection and Cat 6 to the ADSL Router, The engineer also tested from there and also get exactly the same Sync Speed + the Cat 6 has been fully tested, so I know internally all is ok

*** i also purchased a Billion ADSL Router to try and squeeze more speed out, If the SNR is at the normal level of 6dB, my sync speed is even worse at around 700k giving me an IP Profile of 500k, at least with a Sync and Im configued for a target of @3db Down im just in the 750k profile(well most of the time).

Lee

Edited by leedsit (Thu 12-Apr-12 21:26:53)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to