General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Apr-12 21:21:56
Print Post

Re: SNOD Exchange and FTTC

[re: leedsit] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by leedsit:
But from memory(as ive done this alot), our Attenuation Down is 63.5,
So that's bad as it's just the highest that some modems report, and it could be higher. The only option for more speed is more phone lines - and more cost.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-12 21:30:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I Would accept that i) if my neighbors did`nt get around 1.5Meg and ii) if I once didnt have 1.5 meg, it just seems acceptable that Copper is (over a long distance) "not very good" and if it degrages its not cost effective for BT to put much effort in fixing it. Again would understand BT not being interested if Ihad dropped from 3.5 meg to 2.5 meg, but 1.5 meg to 750k is a 50% loss.

But in BT`s words, "nothing more we can do".

Lee.

Edited by leedsit (Thu 12-Apr-12 21:34:41)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Apr-12 21:51:12
Print Post

It's not that copper degrades, it's that noise increases.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 12-Apr-12 22:23:59
Print Post

Why not a pole?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-12 09:35:14
Print Post

Hi,

Eitherway, surely everyone else`s line should be affected the same by noise?(more or less), any why is it only my line the noise has affected more over the last 4 years effectivly halving my effective bandwidth?

Lee.
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-12 09:38:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Why not a pole?

Its fine having it on a roof or side of my house, but having a 6 foot pole in my garden for my kids to Dance around isnt the greatest to be honest. If it was a 60 foot garden, i might be able to sort something out but its only 15 feet with high fences.

May have to look at a possible flat roof stand, didn`t know you could get them but found lots on ebay. Could be an option.(not sure why the installer didnt suggest one)

Lee
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 13-Apr-12 09:44:15
Print Post

Hi,

Eitherway, surely everyone else`s line should be affected the same by noise?(more or less), any why is it only my line the noise has affected more over the last 4 years effectivly halving my effective bandwidth?

Lee.
Well, lots of things cause noise - it could be RFI in your house, it could be a line fault...

Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-12 09:49:58
Print Post

Hi again,

we have ruled out noise in the house(well upto the Master Socket which is in the corner of the loft where the line comes in) and BT assure me its not a line fault(even though I do still get crossed lines). Just frustrating I cannot get the focus from BT.

Lee.
Standard User sthen
(member) Fri 13-Apr-12 11:12:46
Print Post

** when i first moved in, and ADSL was installed by BT, the engineer with his tester managed a SYNC at 2meg, my router got 1.5 give or take, when the engineer came two/three months back, his synced at around 1meg which was inline with my router at around 900k. All testing has been done my the master socket. From there I have a new BT ADSL Faceplate with a RJ45 connection and Cat 6 to the ADSL Router, The engineer also tested from there and also get exactly the same Sync Speed + the Cat 6 has been fully tested, so I know internally all is ok

How long is the cat6 to the router, with these sort of line stats you really want it as close as possible to the NTE and take a lot of care over filtering. You mention BT ADSL faceplate, I assume this is a filtered one and that the extension wiring is run from the filtered side, if that assumption is incorrect that would be worth trying.

Is the bell wire connected? If so, disconnecting this may help. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

If I read the thread correctly someone mentioned Be is available on your exchange, you might possibly do better with their exchange equipment/backhaul than BT's. Probably worth looking at AAISP who have better-than-average BT-wrangling skills and also do lines running over Be - they have a bit of a reputation for being expensive but on a long lower-speed line with mostly-evening use, especially if with Be, you're unlikely to have a problem racking up a huge bill wink

They also have line bonding which, while more expensive than a single line, is not double the cost (if you do want to look at bonding, you'll need a second phone line to run it over so you might like to note that post office 'home phone' often have cheap deals on voice line installation).

BT assure me its not a line fault(even though I do still get crossed lines).

If you haven't specifically reported crossed lines as a voice fault I think you should do so.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Apr-12 19:05:33
Print Post

[re: sthen] [link to this post]

you might like to note that post office 'home phone' often have cheap deals on voice line installation
Currently free.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to