General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Thu 12-Jan-12 11:50:44
Print Post

SNOD Exchange and FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi,

had sooo many issue with BT adsl, which I wont go into here but my connection is around 500kbps. I have no alternatives to broadband, no cable, no 3d or no wireless in the area, so ADSL is my only option bar Satellite.

I know im on quite a long line ( Atten 61dB) and our SNOD exchange is due for FTTC by the end of March and 21CN End of August. I know that on my line, 21CN will not make any difference, however hopefuly FTTC will. Is there anyway I can find out if my street cab is due to be upgraded?

Thanks Guys, Lee.
Standard User ccxo
(member) Thu 12-Jan-12 16:41:34
Print Post

Re: SNOD Exchange and FTTC

[re: leedsit] [link to this post]

Whats you're post code as its used to check on the December lists, do you know what number you cab is as well?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Fri 13-Jan-12 08:21:48
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My Postcode is ME2 1JB. With regards to a cab, ive looked but never seen one. Ill try over the next few days to take another look and also at the telegraph pole outside my house.

Cheers, Lee.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(member) Fri 13-Jan-12 16:57:51
Print Post

NDSNO SNODLAND ME21JB {NDSNO}{P10} 0 100%

You are connected to cab 10 but there is no planned date yet for that cab, on the December list.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Sun 15-Jan-12 08:28:07
Print Post

Thanks ccxo,

Ive found the cab and as the crow flies its about 1k from my house. Since its not on the upgrade list and im quite a distance, think my only solution at the moment is satellite broadband to compliment my adsl. Is there a public list viewable with cabs on that i can keep my eye on?

Thanks again for your help, Lee
Standard User ccxo
(member) Mon 16-Jan-12 03:21:29
Print Post

The list was avalabile to the public but was then removed, it is leaked once every few issues. July and December last year are the two i recal seeing.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chro...

That is the December list, second link is to download the two parts of the file to excel. You may see you're cab upgraded down the line. A large excahnge near me that was enabled back in phase 5a with the majority of its cabinets but has recently had a few more added in phase 9b which is the current phase.

So more cabs will get added eventually, just depends on BT.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Mon 16-Jan-12 08:55:48
Print Post

Thanks ccxo,

I currently get around 500kbits connectivity through to 750kbits depending on the day and would like solid speed for remote access into work(can be slow and glitchy) and really need solid connectivity, this would save me having to stay at work in the evenings to make changes. As mentioned im 1k - 1.5k from this Cab(10). If is was to be upgraded to Fibre would I see the benifit? Just wish BT would keep us in the loop so I can make an informed decision before I sign up to Sat for 12 Months at £50.00 a month as I would have so much more time on my hands if I could work from home.

Thanks again, Lee.
Standard User ccxo
(member) Mon 16-Jan-12 22:54:56
Print Post

There would be a benefit though it all depends on the quality of the copper/ali from the cab to you're property.
Unfortunetly the only people that BT will keep in the loop are few in number, whats you're County Council as their head of IT should be liasing with the other Councils about the BDUK funds.

They may be able to shed some light on what their plans are, if you can show enough demand for a faster service on you're cab then it makes it commericaly atteactive to BT to upgrade.
They may have it planned for later in the rollout, its hard to find out but if you can show demand then things can happen eventually.

Openreach do have a form that can be filled in to show interest, get enough residents connected to the cab to fill in the form and the date could appear.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen....

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Tue 17-Jan-12 18:25:29
Print Post

You might like to investigate line bonding. I know that vivaciti and be* can do this; would you be interested in such a product? You'd typically get circa double the speed as now, assuming the second phone line connected at the same speed as your existing one.

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 11:54:16
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

Thanks Guys,

the bonding sounds like a good idea in but guess you have to pay double. guess its like tech such as etherchannel or Multilink. Aggregating multiple physical links into one logical connection.

TBH Ive had enough of ADSL, slow connectivity, throught with errors and next to useless support from BT, so will be going with Satellite at least for the next year I think. But thanks for all of your help guys.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Thu 19-Jan-12 17:38:08
Print Post

The only trouble with satellite is the latency times are pretty high. I'm sure you've seen the effect on live interviews on the news; that's the kind of delay you'll encounter when browsing the net.
Voip calls and online gaming? Pretty difficult.

If its not a concern then, well, fine, but if you had nights of gaming planned you might wish yo think again!

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-12 15:15:31
Print Post

What's the 3G signal like in your area? May prove to be a good solution -- certainly better than satellite.
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Mon 23-Jan-12 15:32:55
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

Hi,

Already tried 3G, not an option, Ive even tried to find wimax solutions, but guess what.. no coverage.

Totally understand Satellite will have around 500-600ms latency, so plan to keep the BT ADSL for gaming and Skype as the latency is around 40ms and use Satellite for video steaming and larger downloads. Most have 10-15GB limits which ill be well within.

Ill use BT ADSL with a Default gateway of 192.168.1.254 for my gaming PC and the Satellite router with 192.168.1.253 for all my other devices.

Cheers, Lee
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-12 12:57:31
Print Post

Look into 3G900 on o2. Looks like pretty good reception where you live. You'll need a device that supports 3G on the 900MHz band.

You may also be able to get 3s HSPA+ coverage if you have an externally mounted antenna.
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Thu 29-Mar-12 10:08:29
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

Hi ccxo,

dont suppose you know if there are any updates for my cab?

Samknows states FTTC 1st of March and 21stcent end of may.

Cheers, Lee.

Edited by leedsit (Thu 29-Mar-12 10:09:04)

Standard User ccxo
(committed) Thu 29-Mar-12 16:30:08
Print Post

Hi we are still on the December spreadsheet so no more information is known, their is alot of BT work that is scheduled going on in Snodland, your cab may appear in a later phase but i cannot say for certain.

The best thing to do is for you and your neighbours to register their interest below and register on the BT infinity site, if you can get say 30-50 people plus registering a interest then its very likely OR will come back and enable the cabinet.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen....

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Fri 30-Mar-12 08:38:20
Print Post

Thanks CCXO.

I have already performed a leaflet drop to our village and even tried to get enough people to sign up so we can have wireless 30MB (www.medwave.co.uk), but not many takers out of 200 houses. All i can presume is that they are all happy with their broadband or its not an issue for them, i think 750kbps is very poor tbh.

Ive opted for 10 MB Satellite broadband to compliment my adsl link, so think all i can do is sit tight and see what happens. Use ADSL for gaming and satelitte for the rest.

lee.

Edited by leedsit (Fri 30-Mar-12 09:09:59)

Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-12 20:52:28
Print Post

Well the Satellite guy came to fit on Tuesday and guess what... bar a pole or small tower in my garden, there is no where for the dish to go

So no satellite, no 3g, no 3g 900, no Medwave wireless, no fibre, only option is to stick with BT, how very frustrating....

So plan B, what options do I have with BT and my line, as mentioned before when I first moved in I would sync around 1.4..1.5meg stable, best I get now is 1meg and thats lowering the SNR limit from 6db down to 3db which does make the line a little less stable. Twice ive logged this with BT and they say they can do nothing more.

Fact I know I had 1.5 meg, and Fact we do still get crossed lines even though the engineer assures me we dont. Any pointers?

lee.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Apr-12 20:58:40
Print Post

According to samknows, you have the following available:

FTTC
Virgin
BE
Sky
TalkTalk

What are your current line stats?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-12 21:19:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It does say that but im on Cab10, which im afraid doesnt have FTTC. If you look at the exchange location (SNOD) and "upper halling, kent", you`ll see why our lines are not so good. So my only option is Copper...

As the crow flies, were about 1.5K from our Cab, then the Cab is probably another 2K from the exchange.

But from memory(as ive done this alot), our Attenuation Down is 63.5, SNR Down is 3dB and Sync speed is 900k.

** when i first moved in, and ADSL was installed by BT, the engineer with his tester managed a SYNC at 2meg, my router got 1.5 give or take, when the engineer came two/three months back, his synced at around 1meg which was inline with my router at around 900k. All testing has been done my the master socket. From there I have a new BT ADSL Faceplate with a RJ45 connection and Cat 6 to the ADSL Router, The engineer also tested from there and also get exactly the same Sync Speed + the Cat 6 has been fully tested, so I know internally all is ok

*** i also purchased a Billion ADSL Router to try and squeeze more speed out, If the SNR is at the normal level of 6dB, my sync speed is even worse at around 700k giving me an IP Profile of 500k, at least with a Sync and Im configued for a target of @3db Down im just in the 750k profile(well most of the time).

Lee

Edited by leedsit (Thu 12-Apr-12 21:26:53)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Apr-12 21:21:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by leedsit:
But from memory(as ive done this alot), our Attenuation Down is 63.5,
So that's bad as it's just the highest that some modems report, and it could be higher. The only option for more speed is more phone lines - and more cost.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-12 21:30:38
Print Post

I Would accept that i) if my neighbors did`nt get around 1.5Meg and ii) if I once didnt have 1.5 meg, it just seems acceptable that Copper is (over a long distance) "not very good" and if it degrages its not cost effective for BT to put much effort in fixing it. Again would understand BT not being interested if Ihad dropped from 3.5 meg to 2.5 meg, but 1.5 meg to 750k is a 50% loss.

But in BT`s words, "nothing more we can do".

Lee.

Edited by leedsit (Thu 12-Apr-12 21:34:41)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Apr-12 21:51:12
Print Post

It's not that copper degrades, it's that noise increases.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 12-Apr-12 22:23:59
Print Post

Why not a pole?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-12 09:35:14
Print Post

Hi,

Eitherway, surely everyone else`s line should be affected the same by noise?(more or less), any why is it only my line the noise has affected more over the last 4 years effectivly halving my effective bandwidth?

Lee.
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-12 09:38:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Why not a pole?

Its fine having it on a roof or side of my house, but having a 6 foot pole in my garden for my kids to Dance around isnt the greatest to be honest. If it was a 60 foot garden, i might be able to sort something out but its only 15 feet with high fences.

May have to look at a possible flat roof stand, didn`t know you could get them but found lots on ebay. Could be an option.(not sure why the installer didnt suggest one)

Lee
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 13-Apr-12 09:44:15
Print Post

Hi,

Eitherway, surely everyone else`s line should be affected the same by noise?(more or less), any why is it only my line the noise has affected more over the last 4 years effectivly halving my effective bandwidth?

Lee.
Well, lots of things cause noise - it could be RFI in your house, it could be a line fault...

Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-12 09:49:58
Print Post

Hi again,

we have ruled out noise in the house(well upto the Master Socket which is in the corner of the loft where the line comes in) and BT assure me its not a line fault(even though I do still get crossed lines). Just frustrating I cannot get the focus from BT.

Lee.
Standard User sthen
(member) Fri 13-Apr-12 11:12:46
Print Post

** when i first moved in, and ADSL was installed by BT, the engineer with his tester managed a SYNC at 2meg, my router got 1.5 give or take, when the engineer came two/three months back, his synced at around 1meg which was inline with my router at around 900k. All testing has been done my the master socket. From there I have a new BT ADSL Faceplate with a RJ45 connection and Cat 6 to the ADSL Router, The engineer also tested from there and also get exactly the same Sync Speed + the Cat 6 has been fully tested, so I know internally all is ok

How long is the cat6 to the router, with these sort of line stats you really want it as close as possible to the NTE and take a lot of care over filtering. You mention BT ADSL faceplate, I assume this is a filtered one and that the extension wiring is run from the filtered side, if that assumption is incorrect that would be worth trying.

Is the bell wire connected? If so, disconnecting this may help. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

If I read the thread correctly someone mentioned Be is available on your exchange, you might possibly do better with their exchange equipment/backhaul than BT's. Probably worth looking at AAISP who have better-than-average BT-wrangling skills and also do lines running over Be - they have a bit of a reputation for being expensive but on a long lower-speed line with mostly-evening use, especially if with Be, you're unlikely to have a problem racking up a huge bill wink

They also have line bonding which, while more expensive than a single line, is not double the cost (if you do want to look at bonding, you'll need a second phone line to run it over so you might like to note that post office 'home phone' often have cheap deals on voice line installation).

BT assure me its not a line fault(even though I do still get crossed lines).

If you haven't specifically reported crossed lines as a voice fault I think you should do so.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Apr-12 19:05:33
Print Post

[re: sthen] [link to this post]

you might like to note that post office 'home phone' often have cheap deals on voice line installation
Currently free.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-12 13:08:14
Print Post

[re: sthen] [link to this post]

Hi,

Sorry about the delay...

The CAT6 run is about 20 meters but this has been fully tested with testers and is a solid connection, proven by the fact that my stats are virtually the same if the routers plugged into the master socket or the other end(test over a few days). So im confident that the CAT6 can be excluded from any issues.

The Bell wires not connected and BT fitted one of their new ADSL plates when they last visited. So the phones are on the filtered side and the ADSL router plugged directly into the specific modem RJ45 socket.

Im currenty still under contract with BT for another 10 Months, so not much I can do with this line, bar ordering another but that will be a bit of a gamble so guess all I can do is just put up with it.

(21cnet should be active in May, but I get the feeling I will not see any benifit).

Lee.
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 14:13:04
Print Post

Hi,

An old thread, however, any updates on the snodland exchange cab 10? Would love to lose my Satellite Internet connection....

Thanks, lee.

Edited by leedsit (Tue 19-Feb-13 14:49:28)

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Tue 19-Feb-13 15:21:23
Print Post

No change
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-13 08:07:17
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thank Ribble
Standard User leedsit
(learned) Thu 12-Sep-13 13:16:34
Print Post

Does anyone in the know have any updates on the Snodland SNOD Cab 10 Exchange/Cab? I did have a speed jump to 1900 for around 5 months but dropped back down to 1200. Logged a fault but nothing wrong aparantly and they will not/cannot explain the drop. looking for some good news either from BT upgrading or the BDUK project.

Lee.

Edited by leedsit (Thu 12-Sep-13 13:40:18)

Standard User wellhiddenmark
(newbie) Fri 13-Sep-13 10:49:49
Print Post

Have you ever considered moving house?

It might be less stressful than obsessing over this.
Standard User leedsit
(learned) Fri 13-Sep-13 19:33:51
Print Post

[re: wellhiddenmark] [link to this post]

I would`nt say obsessing, I guess its a matter of perspective, besides, already thought of that, it would cost me £15,000 in stamp duty and fees and to be honest we cant get much right in this country when it comes to broadband anyway, well not compared to south Korea and south america etc.... as an example, the new build estate just down the road, 60 new houses being built, right next to a virgin media enabled area, and indeed, the closest old house to the new estate(were talking 30 Meters) can get very good speed with VM Cable, so I enquired about the broadband capability on the new estate, to which I just got blank looks, its turns out you will only be able to get a a BT service over copper cable, they are not installing Fibre as they build the estate, so best speed, 1-3 MB on adsl... Crazy, lay the fibre with the other services while its dug up!

And again, obsessing... perspective.... I'm a network engineer, on call most of the time, and normally deal with Sev 1&2 incidents, Guess what.. I need a stable and "Suitable" connection, so I can setup a VPN to the customer and try and fix their issues, now when I had about 1.75MB it was fine I could work with, but now my line has dropped back down to 1MB doing my job is slower, things take longer, alot longer to be honest, my connectiosn are not thin client, its a logical connection to their network.

I was fine and dandy for 5 months, then I droped to 1MB, guesss what BT dont care, its ADSL, get over it is their attitude, I get crossed lines, noisey lines, they dont care... numerous calls but their computer states no fault found so thats it, but in the very next breath I pick up the phone and car hear what Mary had at the chineese last night.

Im not one of these guys that sits on the forums and bangs my fist because my 16MB connection is only giving me 15.5MB and need all the BT engineers in the world to pop around and fix my connection, I just want a reasonable service, and trying to understand if thats going to be soon.

I understand ADSL is, well compared to ethernet etc, Pants if your line is more than a nats whisker away from the exchange or any noise at all then there are prices to pay with speed and stability. I just want to know..... since my exchange has been fibred up, is SNOD Cab 10 going to get better soon, Just give me 2 megs, thats all I want, thats all I need.

So since I last asked in Feb this year, things have been fine, until recently, so just popped back to see if there was any news.... Second time in 7 months. When I start posting every day, then you can say I was a little obsessive.

Lee.

Edited by leedsit (Fri 13-Sep-13 19:37:11)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Sep-13 20:51:56
Print Post

Just a thought. It's understandable you need a rant about your service, but once BTW have enabled your exchange the provision of FTTC to your cabinet is nothing whatsoever to do with them. As the title of this forum is BT Wholesale DSL Implementation ....

Maybe the Fibre Broadband one would have been better? It would have got a much larger audience.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 13-Sep-13 20:55:52)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to