General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User timl
(member) Wed 05-Jun-13 22:42:05
Print Post

Re: Slower speed that houses around me

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's so very true.

BT provided my sisters line and we could only ever manage a sync of 1Mb despite numerous BT visits even though BT had originally quoted speeds of up to 3.5Mb.

We then followed the advice of someone on this site and got a new line installed and we got a rock solid 7.5Mb sync.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 06-Jun-13 08:46:21
Print Post

[re: plankton] [link to this post]

you have to compare the same router on the same modulation to be sure that the "attenuation" reported is the same. Some routers report line attenuation +3dB higher on ADSL2+ on longer lines but the same signal attenuation, for example. As attenuation is a function of frequency it can get a bit complicated.

The 2-wire business hubs that report a 300 kHz attenuation figure are handy for this.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User sthen
(committed) Thu 06-Jun-13 09:06:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by plankton:
I've the same issue. my line get 62.5 Attenuation where as my 4 neighbours get 57 ... all with BT Broadband ADSL2+, home wiring all isolated, same cab, same route to the exchange etc. Upshot is that I get about 1.7 download neighbours get 3+. The BT wholesale checker say that I should expect between 1-3.5 this seems such a wide margin that you could drive a coach and horses through it.

The margin really needs to be this wide to allow for differences between routers (individual devices not just models), filters, modem leads, etc., (even before you start taking into account local noise sources). If you haven't already tried replacing some of these things, that would be a good starting point.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User plankton
(newbie) Thu 06-Jun-13 20:16:18
Print Post

I'm pretty tempted to get a second phone line and do a short BB contract on it, it might be more cost effective and less stress than going into a battle I can't win with openreach.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to