General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 13-Apr-13 23:32:00
Print Post

Re: Effect of IP profile and how do individual ISP's use it

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Exactly. "If".

As you well know, that's what Plusnet argue is the good point about their own traffic management, that other ISPs apparently don't emulate

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 13-Apr-13 23:36:23)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Apr-13 00:30:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm intrigued to know how other ISPs manage to avoid the problems that the Plusnet system addresses, hence my query.

I believe AAISP do something similar to Plusnet (but they get it from the sync speed at connection time on 21CN I think).

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 14-Apr-13 00:39:06
Print Post

You're suggesting AAISP do DPI

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 14-Apr-13 00:58:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I think he is referring to AAISP "doing similar to Plusnet" in the sense of using a copy of the IP Profile. I'm sure they used to, but not sure they still do.

The declared reason for this is to allow buffering or dropping of packets at the ISP end, thus preventing the IP Profile causing packet dropping at the DSLAM/MSAN. This does have an advantage in that it stops retransmission of dropped packets between the user and the ISP, with associated resource usage and possible "hidden" allowance usage.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Apr-13 10:14:22
Print Post

That's exactly what I'm referring to and I think I'm correct in saying that the BT specs. say it's something the ISP should do.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 14-Apr-13 10:25:15
Print Post

So he's saying that the ISP's using the BT BRAS are doing what BT say they must do? Seems rather obvious...

I thought he was saying AAISP enforce a traffic management system like Plusnet do using Ellacoyas deep-packet inspection to spy on their customers traffic.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 14-Apr-13 11:37:20
Print Post

it's generally good practice where there's a constraint like an interconnection from wholesale to the ISP that can run full to allocate each user the proportion of that constraint that matches their line capacity. It isn't pretty when you tell an ISP router that a 2M fixed line is a 622M link and it tries to max it out.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 14-Apr-13 12:06:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I thought he was saying AAISP enforce a traffic management system like Plusnet do using Ellacoyas deep-packet inspection to spy on their customers traffic.
I think you mean Zen, and I don't think he was saying that at all. He did ask how they do stop things screwing up with simultaneous multiple traffic types on a single line, but that's a question. Not a suggestion that Zen even do anything about it, never mine how.

Edit - don't forget this thread has been restarted recently after a huge gap.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 14-Apr-13 12:07:16)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 18-Apr-13 09:01:56
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

why would it try to max it out?

pretty much all high speed traffic is TCP unless something like a DOS attack.

TCP self regulates and it starts from 0 not from 622mbit/sec it ramps up using slowstart,

eg. if I start to download a iso image, it doesnt immediatly try to send it all at once at some insane high speed, it ramps the speed up from just 576bytes/sec to the sustainable speed, the name slowstart is a bit misleading in that it all happens very quickly but its a ramp up process not ramp down.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012

Edited by Chrysalis (Thu 18-Apr-13 09:02:45)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 18-Apr-13 23:30:26
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

http://blog.benstrong.com/2010/11/google-and-microso...

and multiple streams so it may start faster than you think.

it doesn't start at any bytes per second but is supposed to wait for acks before pushing more than the initial window. So the initial rate is primarily a function of latency.

My maxing out occurred on a 2M line wrongly assigned 622M as its throughput doing a bonded link with another 2M line, one was maxed out and the other was useless, as it was getting 2/622 or some similar fraction of the total throughput.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to