General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Jul-12 22:42:50
Print Post

Re: Effect of IP profile and how do individual ISP's use it

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Paragraph 3 of the post you quote smile.

The link from the BRAS to the ISP can be MSIL or to a Central. As most ISPs will have MSILs by now, as you say, it makes sense.

Another issue though, which I have doubts will have changed. IPSC and WBC/WBMC apparently cannot be channelled through the same MSIL frown. Entanet have all 20 WBC nodes active, and all ten IPSC, but different MSILs at the common nodes. It's still cheaper to replace IPStream Centrals with IPSC MSILs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jul-12 22:44:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Another issue though, which I have doubts will have changed. IPSC and WBC/WBMC apparently cannot be channelled through the same MSIL frown. Entanet have all 20 WBC nodes active, and all ten IPSC, but different MSILs at the common nodes. It's still cheaper to replace IPStream Centrals with IPSC MSILs.

Yuck - wonder if that means in the "future" some ISPs could decide to stop serving people with 20CN only ? Hope not.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Jul-12 00:52:03
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

http://noc.enta.net/21cn-interconnect-status/
http://noc.enta.net/ipsc-interconnect-status/

(Just a note for anyone not knowing what those indicators are about, they are the loadings for Entanet MSILs. Every ISP has their own MSILs, though very few have all twenty 21CN and all ten IPSC ones. The Entanet loadings are irrelevant to any other ISPs loadings).

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 11-Jul-12 00:52:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 11-Jul-12 09:42:16
Print Post

[re: rippedcotton] [link to this post]

The key difference between LLU and BT Wholesale is that the former mix all their traffic at the DSLAM / the exchange, which is usually visible as an IP address. So there's only one pipe required from the exchange and one bit of kit managing the flow to you which already knows your line's capacity. No need to signal capacity upstream.

BT Wholesale tunnel individual customers to their individual ISPs on virtual paths, originally on ATM where you have to dimension the circuit size so the IP profile exists at both ends as an ATM pipe size. ATM systems had little bufferring.

With 21CN they still use dedicated paths and I believe it's good practice to dimension these too - hence the profile - as otherwise you have a gigabit ethernet pipe visible to a connection capable of maybe 20M at the end user end which is a recipe for buffering and efficiency issues.

It's more efficient for Plusnet et al to only send 20M of data at you, if that's what you can receive, rather than bursting to 60M or something and having a whole load of control packets come back to regulate the flow retrospectively.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Sep-12 04:06:30
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I just want to know which ISP do not have their ip profile capped at their end (I really hate it if they do this) I believe plusnet is the only isp that do capped ip profile while IDNet isp leave it uncapped (no ip profile at their end because it leave to BT end to set the customer's line speed is the best way forward) and plusnet should do the same to be uncapped.

Really fed up with plusnet ip profile do not updated itself every 12 hours, had to ask plusnet staff on the forum to set it manually to match bt end is rather annoying and stupid way to do this. They ought to leave it uncapped and let BT do the line capped itself! Because the 88.23% is instant profile rate for all 21CN and no need to wait for 72 hours for the profile to match. I guess it just plusnet to save their bandwidth like they updated profile every 12 hours but it never worked. The only working is profile to dropped more quickest than waiting for 72 hours to get BT matched profile to be rise then again another 12 hours for plusnet to updated with a total of 84 hours is a joke really! Might switch to IDNet to get profile instant at all times but their usage allowance is far too low and too expensive!

plusnetADSL2+16.4 Meg
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by adslmax (Mon 03-Sep-12 04:14:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Sep-12 22:58:29
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Your BT IP Profile changes instantly Max.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain having to wait for the PN update, but it doesn't often fail. I think it is 3-4 times a day now? Not twice.

You pays your money and you makes your choice smile. At least the throttling is now nearly non-existent. Two hours a day at 2Mbps on P2P and external FTP.

I moved from IDNet fibre to PN fibre and pleased I did.

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Sep-12 23:01:52
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Short memory Max? How many Entanet resellers did you use several times each in the past, at monthly change intervals tongue ? Enta operate a copy IP Profile as well. So do AAISP. I've a feeling Zen do as well, but I could be wrong.

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Sep-12 02:31:03
Print Post

I am sure Zen doesn't have their own ip profile at their end as I use to be with enta, zen, adsl24, icuk, idnet and so on, I ran many isp's to find out who are the best. I lost my count how many isp's I have been with since 1999, probably over 100's isp! Overall, Idnet is the best but I moved to plusnet on the 26/01/2011 and never left them ever since.

plusnetADSL2+16.4 Meg
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by adslmax (Tue 04-Sep-12 02:32:07)

ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Wed 26-Sep-12 16:45:11
Print Post

I've a feeling Zen do as well, but I could be wrong.

No - Zen don't use the BT IP profile.

ta,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Apr-13 03:02:56
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SkyFire:
I've a feeling Zen do as well, but I could be wrong.

No - Zen don't use the BT IP profile.

ta,
Phil.

Are you saying that Zen do have uncapped ADSL2+ (no ip profile on your side) to match BT ip profile ? Uncapped ip profile seem very good to me, just leave it uncapped speed and let the BT exchange run at your line speed.

plusnetADSL2+15.7 Meg
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to