General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Oct-12 22:41:27
Print Post

Re: Is this DLM

[re: zarkrax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zarkrax:
Does DLM actually control sync speed?
Indirectly! It negotiates a reasonable, stable Target NM, which in turn determines the sync speed.

The IP Profile is auto calculated from the sync, and its history, and on 21CN WBC is usually an immediately responsive 88.2% of sync.

The DLM will not retrain unless the line goes unstable and disconnects.

It is no use quoting the sync speed w/out the corresponding NM (and even the attn. if that ever changes).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Oct-12 22:46:00
Print Post

Re: Is this DLM -EDITED

In reply to a post by zarkrax:
I am now down to 5.4, and no change in the line stats
That shouldn't be w/out a re-sync. Is there a router log showing when and how frequently it has re-synced?

EDIT: Oh, you mean you have rebooted in the dark? Then it's to be expected. Only reboot during daylight.

Oh, it's all explained. As you rebooted as the night descended, the sync went slower grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 12-Oct-12 22:51:42)

Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Fri 12-Oct-12 23:00:29
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ah ok but my ip profile has also changed I guess that will change when my sync does back up, is early morning ok like 2am ok to reboot?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Oct-12 23:09:39
Print Post

2AM not daylight round here!

As I said earlier IPP will follow sync.

Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Fri 12-Oct-12 23:13:31
Print Post

Ok why daylight hours? I said 2am because I thought you ment no one would be on their BB.

I just can't believe I have managed to knock a whole meg off my downstream, oh how I wished I left it alone wink
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Oct-12 23:21:46
Print Post

I've always understood there is more electromagnetic noise around at night. For starters everyone's at home with the lights, TVs and appliances on. Even after they gone yo bed there's the street lights and other stuff...

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Oct-12 23:49:25
Print Post

The main cause of night-time noise is a change in behaviour of whichever layer in the atmosphere it is that reflects electromagnetic radiation, due to the sun's heating of it going.

IIRC, but I may be wrong, it reflects AM medium wave frequencies more at night and that makes a mess on ADSLx unless something is shielding it. I'm finding on VDSL2 (FTTC) a much smaller effect than I did on ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+, but this may be down to a decrease in copper distance from the cabinet compared with from the exchange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Sat 13-Oct-12 00:07:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok thanks everyone, I will wait until the sun rises and give it a another reboot.

What I am still foxed about is why the sync speed changed a little at a time on each reboot, rather then the whole meg.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-12 01:37:11
Print Post

Why should it change a whole Meg at a time? It is a continuum.

Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Sat 13-Oct-12 01:43:53
Print Post

No, but if it was down to electromagnetic interference why did the sync speed change in small amounts on every reboot?

I did give it a cheeky reboot as it was after midnight and the sync speed has increased to 5.7mb so I am hoping for good things in the day time smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to