General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User schander
(learned) Fri 08-Feb-13 22:43:26
Print Post

Re: Possible two routes for line

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

A comparison point :-

BT Recorded Line Length to Exchange (m): 4123
This is a 21CN line.
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 3.78 Mbps (6 dB SNR, 54 dB attn)
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 0.45 Mbps

Previously the BT number checker picked up data for your active service and fed it back as available speed, this doesn't seem to be the case currently as I have a line saying "up to 3M" that syncs at 8128. Sounds like you have a database glitch the other way.

Sounds reasonable. If this is the case then BT OpenReach are likely to charge for coming out frown
Ed to add: I guess what I'm saying is that there isn't a shorter route, the ISP might be making it up and the TPON overlay will be long back to the exchange and that won't be changed by the reconnection work unless you're on an exchange boundary and they're connecting to the "other" exchange (Hampton in Peterborough for example is fed from two exchanges) but this seems unlikely TBH.

BT are saying that i'm connected to cabinet 49T, I'm assuming that the T means TPON, as I said before the cabinet is not in use, well if I believe the OpenReach engineer.
Don't think that my ISP (Merula) is making it up, they're just reasoning why the adsl checker would be quoting the higher figure.
I'm pretty sure, I'm not on a exchange boundary.

Thanks
Satpal
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Feb-13 00:07:03
Print Post

[re: schander] [link to this post]

Surely if you were off a TPON cabinet, you'd not have an ADSL service already.

Standard User schander
(learned) Sat 09-Feb-13 07:42:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Surely if you were off a TPON cabinet, you'd not have an ADSL service already.

Then what the engineer said must be true as I have adsl.

Satpal

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 09-Feb-13 10:49:09
Print Post

[re: schander] [link to this post]

Don't think that my ISP (Merula) is making it up, they're just reasoning why the adsl checker would be quoting the higher figure.
that's what I mean by "making it up" - retrospectively generating an explanation to fix the observations wink

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Feb-13 23:19:22
Print Post

is that tester accurate?

The Service ID is: BBEUxxxxxxxx
This is a 21CN line.
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 78.73 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

So it says I have higher than the max 77.43.

The reason I did run it is from my tbb graph it looks like my modem resynced 2 days ago, but the ppp didnt timeout, I still have the same throughput meaning if it did resync its either at the same speed or higher, and my ECI telnet is now closed (dodgy ECI modem bug) so cant check the modem.

However since my ip profie wont have updated and also confirmed with my throughput (cant check on BTw tester now for 1-2 hours) the question is how is mouselike.org reporting this high profile, does it somehow read a value stored elsewhere that will come into play if I reestablish ppp?

seems according to this I am right there is 2 profiles.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm BRAS and IP profiles are seperate.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 15-Feb-13 10:18:57)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 15-Feb-13 08:20:24
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

It just runs the BT speedtest and reports the IP profile from that. It looks like the BRAS profile is once again not updating as I reported before Christmas. http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/f/4191475-bras-p...

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Feb-13 09:50:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

that BRAS profile was from the windows.mouselike.org link which doesnt run a speedtest, it just shows some stats like estimated line length and BRAS profile. (incidently 2.4km line with gives 50db attenuation on adsl).

The IP profile last time I checked I had was 69.xx mbit as my sync was just under 72mbit. Now my unlocked ECI modem however the telnet daemon has crashed on it so I cant access my sync stats until I reboot the modem (dont want to do). I had a red line on my tbb graph 2 days ago at 1am which may have been a DLM change of some sort.

Now even this morning I cannot run the BTw tester as it says this for further diagnostics..

"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider"

My pppoe has not been recconected at all during this time so my ip profile should (and appears to be the same), I believe I have seen it mentioned elsewhere there is 2 profiles with only one getting updated on the new ppp session which is the one reported by BTw.

Either that or http://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=B... is inaccurate and wrong.

I defenitly am not on a 78mbit ip profile at the moment, throughput matches the 69mbit profile.

I see according to kitz site the BRAS profile is indeed seperate to the IP profile, the BRAS profile it seems is supposed to be a bit higher than the IP profile.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 15-Feb-13 10:24:28)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 15-Feb-13 10:29:16
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

It's a lookup thing that interrogates the BT database, so it should I believe yield the same results as the BT speedtester without having to go through the speedtest.

If BT have "evolved" the systems and the tool isn't up to speed then it may be stuck with an old value. I was just using it for the line length TBH.

incidently 2.4km line with gives 50db attenuation on adsl

that's a bit [censored], mine's under 40 dB at 2.5km and I can cycle the line route with a GPS to confirm distance.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 15-Feb-13 10:34:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
It's a lookup thing that interrogates the BT database, so it should I believe yield the same results as the BT speedtester without having to go through the speedtest.
As I said, it runs the speedtest. It's just been upgraded for the new Flash-based one.
"Tom's BRAS Checker" is back up and functional after BT redirected the old Java based site to the new Flash based test.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 15-Feb-13 10:37:02)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 15-Feb-13 10:36:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

As I said, it runs the speedtest.
Didn't see that - it runs it and hides the output ? seems a bit pointless if it gets the data anyway

eta - of course it'll be run from the server so a duff value. Doh ! more caffeine required.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics

Edited by yarwell (Fri 15-Feb-13 10:37:17)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to