General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matthewcl375
(member) Sat 09-Mar-13 02:03:03
Print Post

Re: Will switching ISP get me a better sync?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

That would make sense, yet our exchange doesn't yet have 21CN enabled for PSTN, which is what made me think it would be a DSLAM...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Mar-13 04:03:14
Print Post

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

No exchange is. 21CN voice plans shelved years ago.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(member) Sat 09-Mar-13 04:07:37
Print Post

@XRaySpeX Ahh, I see you're a night owl too tongue

I've made a list of any possible noise sources that can be eliminated, so far I have fridge/freezer, neighbour's radio, television aerial(s) and the fact the router is plugged into an electrical extension cable which could be faulty...

If none of these prove to be the case, chances are it's a REIN issue which most likely can't be easily fixed, so I will have to wait and see if the upgrade to BT produces any higher sync speeds (tbh i'd settle with 12-15Mbps right now). If not, I will be on the phone to BT Support as they have told me to do should I not get the speed I was estimated

Edited by matthewcl375 (Sat 09-Mar-13 04:20:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sthen
(member) Sat 09-Mar-13 08:26:40
Print Post

When my exchange was moved to 21cn they initially just used it for new/migrated connections and only moved existing lines across after ~10 months or so.
Standard User sthen
(committed) Sat 09-Mar-13 09:11:30
Print Post

If there's a noise problem (and there usually has to be some kind of problem to end up with ~9dB target) it's more likely to affect the line rather than directly affecting the router. Extension cabling can often pick up noise (acting as an aerial) and feed it back even if it's *after* the router. (disconnecting the bell wire can reduce this, though for a test it can be simpler to just disconnect it completely - if you have an nte5 where the extensions should be wired from the front half, so using the test socket disconnects this). Certainly worth disconnecting any that you don't need.

If you have a router which reports CRC errors (BT ones often do though I'm not certain about the homehub) this is a good indication of noise so if you normally see the error count increasing and it stops in the test socket this gives a good indication of something to look into (walking around with an not-tuned-in AM battery radio looking for noise sources is good for this; LCDs, fluorescent lights and switched-mode power supplies are common possibilities). Be aware of anything which might not always be powered on of course. And there is the possibility that problems don't show up wigh the speed you're currently connected at, but would if you connected at a higher speed (i.e. DLM working as expected) so sometimes all you can do is clean up cabling as much as possible and leave it for a couple of weeks to see if sync rates creep up.
Standard User sthen
(committed) Sat 09-Mar-13 09:12:31
Print Post

The 448k upstream sync suggests you are *not* on 21cn gear.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 09-Mar-13 12:41:27
Print Post

[re: sthen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sthen:
The 448k upstream sync suggests you are *not* on 21cn gear.

careful, there are silly 20CN style profiles on 21CN too.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 09-Mar-13 12:45:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Why bother wasting money and space keeping 2 varieties of kit when you can cover both with just the modern kit and just throwing a few software switches?
That is what happens. There's no requirement for CPs to move users to 21CN when it arrives, and several do not.

Saves rewiring a load of lines to a new MSAN when they can be left on existing DSLAMs until such time as the latter are unneeded (as users have migrated) or retired.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(member) Sun 10-Mar-13 02:50:26
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Bit annoying as I was put on a 4.5Mbps profile due to that Home Hub :/ Am I right in thinking it will rise given time, according to my current sync of 6880?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Sun 10-Mar-13 02:56:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Mar-13 12:38:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
Bit annoying as I was put on a 4.5Mbps profile due to that Home Hub :/ Am I right in thinking it will rise given time, according to my current sync of 6880?
From all the help, information and explanations you have been given over several weeks, if not months, what would you answer if someone asked you the same question about their connection?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to