General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Mar-13 11:21:41
Print Post

Re: Will switching ISP get me a better sync?

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
...her line is even shorter than mine...

Actually her line is possibly the same length or a little longer than yours in terms of attenuation: her downstream attenuation is 7dB and you have seen both 7dB and 6dB reported by your routers.

You obviously want to know why your line is underperforming since the repairs were done on it. As things stand it does seem that because of the previous line fault you were put on some sort of banded ADSL1 profile and the only means of rectifying that is to have the line re-set or to shift to ADSL2+ - which you are very wisely doing smile
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 11-Mar-13 11:54:52
Print Post

I was loking at a capped line with 33 dB SNR margin on Friday, so not convinced.

If you look at the bin plots and find half the frequencies aren't in use that would explain the low power. If they're all in use but low downstream power then power cutback is likely.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Mar-13 12:07:47
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
I was loking at a capped line with 33 dB SNR margin on Friday, so not convinced.

If you look at the bin plots and find half the frequencies aren't in use that would explain the low power. If they're all in use but low downstream power then power cutback is likely.

Does that correlate to reduced power on a very good short line to eliminate crosstalk and where, additionally, downstream SNRM is increased - which we have perhaps established is not applicable to the OP's problem?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 11-Mar-13 16:58:32
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Does that correlate to reduced power on a very good short line to eliminate crosstalk
perhaps, if that happens in practice. Without knowing the frequencies in use it's hard to judge the downstream power.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Mar-13 17:29:09
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

So if the OP is still concerned about output power, reduced sync, etc. he could run DMT and look for tone gaps?
Standard User matthewcl375
(member) Mon 11-Mar-13 18:06:45
Print Post

My router isn't compatible with DMT frown Also still waiting for my Ip profile to catch up
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Mar-13 18:28:28
Print Post

My router isn't compatible with DMT frown

A tg585 v7 is, if you can find one of those kicking about somewhere...
Standard User matthewcl375
(member) Mon 11-Mar-13 19:59:35
Print Post

I doubt it...

Something strange is going on now, broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk, iplayer speed test and the BTW speed check are all showing below 1Mbps download speeds, yet speedtest.net is showing 4.27, which it should be

Edited by matthewcl375 (Mon 11-Mar-13 20:02:36)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 11-Mar-13 20:00:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
So if the OP is still concerned about output power, reduced sync, etc. he could run DMT and look for tone gaps?

yep, grab a router that shows it or one compatible with a software tool that extracts it.

Helpful to understand the low sync if there's a block of frequencies that can't be used.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Mar-13 20:10:46
Print Post

Something strange is going on now, broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk, iplayer speed test and the BTW speed check are all showing below 1Mbps download speeds, yet speedtest.net is showing 4.27, which it should be

A peaktime Tesco/C&W throughput thing - don't worry about it smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to