General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matthewcl375
(member) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:29:41
Print Post

Re: Will switching ISP get me a better sync? - EDITED

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

That's strange because the Tesco retention team definitely said about things being switched round in the exchange, that's why I'm having to wait until the 25th, because OR has a busy schedule...
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Mar-13 20:02:10
Print Post

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
That's strange because the Tesco retention team definitely said about things being switched round in the exchange, that's why I'm having to wait until the 25th, because OR has a busy schedule...

I wouldn't take much notice of that: your new ISP will be sorting things out during the migration, if necessary, with the other parties. As far as you are concerned all Tesco can do is give you a MAC key.
(member) Wed 06-Mar-13 20:34:31
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Ahh, going by what was said on previous threads, my under performance is either due to some kind of banding which has been applied on the line, or a high level of noise, or an issue with my current router (so far I have not been able to find another router to test with).

I suspect it to be the former or the latter, since I can find no extra sources of noise apart from the ones I've already isolated, unless its coming from a neighbour's house (we live in a terraced house).

In this case, banding SHOULD be removed as the new BB runs through its first 3 days of building a fresh line profile. If it is the router, obviously a BT HH 3 should sort that out too.

I guess I am just worried it could be something out of our control, such as maybe the underground cabling running from the exchange to the street pole...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Mar-13 22:29:19
Print Post

Tesco retention team definitely said about things being switched round in the exchange
I'd be surprised! Neither Tesco nor C&W have any kit at exchange; it's all BT's.

A fat lot Tesco support know about exchange things as they don't even supply BB themselves. Never believe anything that BB phone support say; likely to be wrong 90% of time grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Mar-13 22:33:55
Print Post

If banding were the issue, it's only present cuz it found line unstable.

By not finding a replacement, you have failed to eliminate the most likely cause, the router.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(member) Wed 06-Mar-13 22:58:28
Print Post

You're right about Tesco, like you say they're not even an ISP per se

Regarding a spare router, we'll be getting one from BT soon regardless. Also, I am going to see if the college I go to would be able to 'loan' or sell me any old router at a discount, I will also check with the place I will be working next week to see if they could lend me an old router too, but I doubt it.

I found the following on the BT Wholesale ADSL Checker for my line:

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17.5 Up to 1.5 16 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available

Do you know if these BTW predictions are based on a 'standard' target noise margin? Because I am pretty close to getting that lowest sync figure of 6.5Mbps ...

Oh, and the other question I had was (a bit technical but not entirely unrelated), if there is no equipment to be moved round in exchange, how does DLM know to re train the line again?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Wed 06-Mar-13 23:25:35)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Mar-13 23:26:03
Print Post

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17.5 Up to 1.5 16 to 19.5 Available
Wrong line! You want the one w/out Annex M. But it'll be the same Down speed.

There just pure estimates; you can assume a standard NM if you like, but they are only a guide.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Mar-13 23:28:37
Print Post

I already told you. A little guy sits at his console and programs it. It takes millisecs.

(member) Thu 07-Mar-13 01:09:38
Print Post

Ah it sounds a lot easier than I pictured it. Forgive my sometimes over-inquisitive mind tongue

Well, my plan of attack now is to try and get a second hand router to do a double check of line stats with, and errm wait it out for the BT BB to get activated I guess...

I'm quite positive about it right now, thinking if I can get near maximum speeds on ADSL Max with a 9db Target Margin, in theory I should be able to get near maximum speeds on ADSL2+, with the same Target Margin smile Also BT have said to contact them if I don't get within close range of their Estimated speeds, I will also have a very helpful community to turn to if any problems arise wink

Edited by matthewcl375 (Thu 07-Mar-13 01:09:57)

Standard User sthen
(member) Thu 07-Mar-13 08:32:35
Print Post

Changing router, *even if your current one is not faulty*, can make a huge difference. Even just changing cables/microfilter can help more than you might think.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to