General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deft
(committed) Thu 29-Aug-13 17:49:16
Print Post

How to best solve the mystery of my ceased broadband

[link to this post]

Broadband with Uno (via Talk Talk LLU), Voice with BT.

A couple of months back my broadband died. Turned out (via Uno) that work had been carried out on my voice line which resulted in an automatic cease of my broadband.
BT retail deny any work order was placed by them. BT Openreach obviously won't deal with me and are not giving Uno much info other than it originated BT Wholesale (not 100% confirmed, could be a typo).
At the moment I am out of pocket a cease fee (which perhaps I should have argued more against with Uno) but they waived all the reconnection fees.
Is it possible that Openreach were doing a real job that was accidentally assigned to my line by an as yet unknown 3rd party? Keyed my phone number in wrong or something?
Basically I'm finding it difficult to get to the bottom of where this work order on my voice line originated and hence who is really responsible for my loss of service / costs.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Aug-13 17:54:27
Print Post

Re: How to best solve the mystery of my ceased broadband

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

Uno via TalkTalk have the responsibility to chase up the chain and complain to Openreach and do things like get the cease charge to them refunded etc

A wrong number on a submission is likely to be the reason, Ofcom is strengthening requirements for checks to avoid this, so it does happen

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Aug-13 18:37:08
Print Post

I wouldn't be happy with that!
As Uno are your ISP I would have thought/hoped any change in your ADSL situation would be their responsibility.

Let us know how you get on and if your ISP look after you properly...

EDIT: Your TBB profile says your ISP is Zen...

Edited by b4dger (Thu 29-Aug-13 18:37:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deft
(committed) Thu 29-Aug-13 20:24:12
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks for the comments. Didn't realise my profile even had that info - updated it now! Been a few years since I was with Zen.
I'm reasonably relaxed about the whole thing (was aggravating at the time with a heavily pregnant and overdue wife!).
I've bounced the info back to Uno for them to now follow up, who have been good so far I feel. Difficult it seems with Openreach in the middle and no-one quite having the whole story. Communication between all parties is not as easy and direct as you might hope.
Standard User Deft
(committed) Fri 30-Aug-13 17:33:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Uno are not as yet budging on the cease fee citing that Openreach carried out work they were ordered to by the voice provider and as such there is no grounds for complaint from Uno to Openreach.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Aug-13 20:03:57
Print Post

Sadly, the correct thing to do is to pay uno and request reimbursement from the voice line company that caused the cease. Then seek reimbursement fro the voice company. The CAB may be able to help you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User partial
(member) Fri 30-Aug-13 21:43:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The dispute is with the broadband provider. So the solution will only be deliverable by dealing with the broadband provider. .

Uno are a systemless reseller and have no direct relationship with Openreach, as a TalkTalk partner, TalkTalk manage the relationship with Openreach.

TalkTalk do offer an SLA to partners so this long tail of out of service is down to Uno to sort out and claim their compo.

The op would be well advised to use a real ISP next time rather than one that simply walks away from their responsibility when support is needed.
Standard User partial
(member) Fri 30-Aug-13 21:52:39
Print Post

Your problem of no broadband is down to your broadband provider to sort out. It is simply not acceptable for your broadband provider to blame third parties, walk away and wash their hands.

Xilo are a member of an OFCOM approved ADR as is a requirement of all providers, even systemless resellers and this is an avenue worth exploring. I am unsure whether this covers UNO as many resellers are somewhat cavalier when it comes to complying with OFCOM requirements.

I would be investigating this avenue or just put it down to experience and sign up with a real ISP.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Aug-13 22:03:56
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

I'm sorry. That is tripe. The world is as it is, not how you think it should be.

You will find nearly all, if not all ISPs, real or virtual, charge the cease fee to the customer in such cases.

It should be that the broadband cease is charged to the company causing the broadband cease, in this case the line rental CP or another CP trying to take the line. But it isn't. End of!

There is no way a CP charged by Openreach is going to foot the bill for some other CP's cockup. The OP got his information via uno, which is not he same thing as uno ordering line work.

This problem occurs several times a year on these forums. It always gets loads of posts by people saying the same thing as you - that the innocent CP should stand an irrecoverable cease charge.

The user can recover it from the CP to blame. The broadband CP doesn't even know which CP that is.

It needs Ofcom complaints about Openreach by the bucketful from users to get this changed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User partial
(member) Fri 30-Aug-13 22:12:26
Print Post

Negative. The Op was busy minding their own business and their broadband stopped working.

This is clearly down to the provider to sort out.

A rogue charge has been raised to restore service.

This is all the OP needs to concentrate on.

Talk of going to the CAB to reclaim off of BT Retail is 'tripe' advice.

The OP should go to ADR. The provider will refund sharpish as it will be far cheaper than going to ADR.

Edited by partial (Fri 30-Aug-13 22:16:44)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Aug-13 22:18:34
Print Post

So uno refer it to TT, and TT tell uno exactly what I m telling you.

Openreach have charged TT and it gets passed on. Openreach are at fault, but no ISP, not even BT, Sky or TT have ever been reported here as getting the charge withdrawn.

You continue to state the world as it should be. I continue to state the world as it is. You aren't going to be able to change it, and neither is the OP by taking your advice.

Standard User partial
(member) Fri 30-Aug-13 22:25:17
Print Post

This is no concern of the OP.

The OP has been charged a rogue charge to restore service. That is a dispute between the OP and the provider.

My advice to the OP, don't bother with CAB, some bewildered Indian at a third party phone provider or people posting 'tripe' hearsay on internet forums. Go to ADR and get a refund or migrate to a better provider.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Fri 30-Aug-13 23:25:19
Print Post

Openreach might do anything. Last year when I complained to BT Retail that my line was not working the BT technician admitted that it had been disconnected.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Aug-13 23:28:10
Print Post

You can't go to ADR without a deadlock letter or equivalent.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Aug-13 23:41:06
Print Post

Unfortunately, what the OP seems to have omitted is that we did investigate this fully, and even Fast Tracked him back on to service because initially we did not know what the situation was and we fully appreciate that even one day without service would be inconvenient. *at cost to US*

If the cease has been generated by the voice provider, which for this customer is the case. The broadband will automatically be removed. This is no different to a PSTN line being ceased on purpose, i.e a house move, or "accidentally" witch something like a name change, which for BT Retail at least, appears to still trigger broadband ceases.

Effectively, the voice provider placed an order. This triggered a PSTN cease. We are charged for said cease and likewise, the customer has to pay us.

Why should the provider have to pay a cease fee for a) an order that was not originated by them and b) because the voice provider placed an order their end? The provider shouldn't. The company that placed the cease should.

Openreach have already confirmed that the order originated from BT Wholesale on a request from the line provider. The customers service with us has no connection to BT Wholesale and likewise, Openreach have charged for the cease correctly.

Yes, the customer should not have to pay any charge because he didn't request it but likewise, we should not have to absorb any more costs for something not of our doing but that of the line provider whom he pays his line rental too. Now, if they are failing to address the matter, that is something for him to take up with them following the correct complaint process of that organisation.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Aug-13 23:54:51
Print Post

I guess these guys have had the problem too... Noting the cease section.

Matt

uno Broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 31-Aug-13 00:28:38
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Like I said earlier, this is happening a lot, and the same argument ensues.

However I disagree with your "Openreach have charged for the cease correctly". They have charged according to their system, but as I posted in a recent thread on the same matter, that system is wrong.

If a cease occurs because of a CP order for line changes, then Openreach should charge that CP. That is so blatantly obvious that I'm amazed OfCom allow the ISP to be charged for something that is nothing to do with them.

That wouldn't help with the reconnection issue, but again logic says the company causing the cease should be responsible for the costs of an expedited reinstatement.

Not only that, but whereas it is normal and reasonable for ISP <> Customer contracts to exclude consequential loss, I see no reason why this sort of case should not be open to claims against the culprit for consequential loss.

It's lunacy as it is.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Aug-13 00:49:44
Print Post

The problem even when the CP does admit the fault is the amount of time then taken to compensate the customer. I recall one other incident where the user changed their number, would not normally cause a cease but because the CP did a cease and re-provide, it did. Took weeks for the CP to admit and then credit the user.

The underlying problem is the same. End user didn't request a cease, one was triggered. We're charged. Customer billed and if in error, should seek that fee from the CP in question.

Lunacy is probably being too kind wink

Matt

uno Broadband
Standard User Deft
(committed) Sat 31-Aug-13 09:48:50
Print Post

Well I did mention that you had waived all reconnection fees so I don't think I have been particularly misleading or economical with the truth to make Uno look bad here. Also remember that I authorised the rush reconnection assuming that ultimately I was liable for deferred costs - so it wasn't a huge charitable gesture from Uno to begin with.
Ultimately I am still stuck. We have different opinions on this thread about who is responsible for rectifying the costs involved with the incorrect cease (and reconnection) so at least we can all agree to disagree.
I ask BT retail and they say "nothing to do with us, speak to your broadband provider", my broadband provider says "you must pay costs and then seek redress from the voice provider", BT Wholesale and Openreach won't deal with me because I am not a customer of theirs.
Simplistically, why should the customer ever have knowledge of or care about all the 3rd parties involved in provision of voice or broadband. I suspect the general population would assume a problem with the broadband would be down to the broadband provider irrespective of the spiders web in between. I really suspect this is the case legally too - though whether I want to spend the effort testing this legally is another matter! As someone who is moderately technically minded I sort of get the different steps involved and hence why I have attempted on two lengthy occasions to get sense out of BT retail. I can also see their point that in a simple world, the loss of broadband is a broadband provider problem. Frankly I have already gone way over and above what an average customer would (or should) need to do to help get to the bottom of this.
What I still don't understand is that there is no obvious path for Uno to go to Openreach and go; "You know what, we dispute this charge because we believe this cease was incorrectly actioned because of a mix-up / duff info". Otherwise Openreach are untouchable and can always say "just following orders". If that is truly the case then I would have to argue that these kind of situations become an unavoidable cost of business for broadband providers that they have to absorb. You might think that is unfair but how is the consumer meant to lobby for systems change at that kind of level?
I'm certainly not in a position to make that argument to Openreach, and why should I?

Some more background. I live by an exchange that only has one ADSL2+ provider (TalkTalk), so I'm not overwhelmed with options for a >8Mbit service. The reason I went with Uno (as a smaller reseller) rather than directly with TalkTalk is because I assumed for the premium I would get a nimble, responsive and technically capable support. So far that has been the case - I've got more sense out of Matt than you would ever get from typical call centres. But, we are still left with a ridiculous situation where we are both sharing costs.
Now I'm in a fortunate position that in the short term a cease fee is not going to push me into some kind of financial hardship - but there must be situations where a bonus £38.40 charge is really going to cause problems (plus potential reconnection fees).
As a customer is just feels like everyone is shrugging their shoulders and blaming someone else. All I know is it definitely isn't my fault!
Standard User grahammm
(member) Sat 31-Aug-13 10:55:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by uno:
If the cease has been generated by the voice provider, which for this customer is the case. The broadband will automatically be removed. This is no different to a PSTN line being ceased on purpose, i.e a house move, or "accidentally" witch something like a name change, which for BT Retail at least, appears to still trigger broadband cease

Maybe the rules/procedures need to be changed. The ISP is the customer for the broadband connection. So it should be changed so that only the ISP should be able to order a cease of the broadband provision; or at least has to be informed of, and agree to, any action taken by a third party (eg voice provider or end user) which would affect the broadband provision. It is not fair that an ISP (and consequently the end-user) is forced to pay a 'disconnect fee' which has been triggered by a third party and which is not desired by the ISP's customer.

Also maybe they should reduced the number of actions on the voice line which result in a broadband cease.
Standard User gah789
(learned) Sat 31-Aug-13 12:28:48
Print Post

Mutual recrimination, while understandable, is not going to rectify this kind of situation.

You can't really go to any system of dispute resolution when the responsibility for the original error is itself a matter of dispute. The only basis on which a regulator can act is if it receives formal complaints about either gaps in regulatory provisions or failures to implement proper procedures. My suggestion, therefore, is that you submit a written complaint about the failure of BT Wholesale or BT Retail to deal with the original error. The complaint should be addressed to Ofcom but you can copy it to your local MP.

If you live In Scotland, you could also complain to the Public Services Ombudsman. You can investigate what is the equivalent in other parts of the UK. The point is that no one will take official note of the problem unless they start to receive complaints.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Aug-13 13:38:20
Print Post

Lots of good points and well made! smile

You could see some ISPs swallowing this charge now things have gone this far - both for the goodwill of their customer and the good PR it would generate...

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Aug-13 15:09:42
Print Post

Who so far at BT retail have to spoken to about this the inept overseas CS or someone higher up the food chain ? Trying to get any sense out of their overseas call center is a waste of time,
As said you can write a formal letter of complaint, But you may get a satisactory resolution by e-mailing their high level complaints team
Standard User partial
(member) Sat 31-Aug-13 16:21:19
Print Post

Just go to CISAS. You are disputing a charge raised by UNO. Your contract is with UNO.

UNO are highly likely to settle and refund you the money as it will be cheaper. UNO will have to pay all the costs for CISAS to process your complaint whether they win or lose.

http://www.cisas.org.uk/infoforcustomers-4_e.html

Edited by partial (Sat 31-Aug-13 16:24:22)

Standard User Deft
(committed) Tue 03-Sep-13 19:04:20
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

First BT response was fairly generic (I used some e-mail form).
Second BT response was better (I wrote a snail mail letter to a customer complaints address).
The second response was clearer to me that they understood the problem as they;
1) Confirmed that they (BT retail) had not placed any work orders with Openreach in relation to my voice line
2) Understood the points I was making but also made the points that
a) BT Wholesale work on behalf of many other companies
b) That Uno are also a customer of Openreach and that only they can raise a complaint about loss of the broadband service
c) If Uno have evidence that I didn't request the cease they should waive all of these costs
d) That the charges I have incurred have been levied by Uno so I have to take it up with them

Now you might say "Oh well they would say that", but I don't think it is a totally unreasonable position given what they see as the facts so far.
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Tue 03-Sep-13 21:07:57
Print Post

Under contract law your contact is with UNO and they are responsible for providing your broadband.

If there has been a loss of service and charges raised then you deal with your provider to get it sorted not random other parties as you do not have a contract with them.

Write to your ISP with your complaint and wait for the deadlock letter and then move onto dispute resolution.

Also phoning up the communications ombudsman may be helpful as they can not get involved yet but can advise how to best proceed.
Standard User partial
(member) Tue 03-Sep-13 21:38:00
Print Post

Why are you faffing around?

If you want a refund of the rogue charge that UNO have raised, Just take UNO to CISAS.

UNO will be running to give you your money back rather than pay for CISAS to order them to give you your money back, plus any out of pocket expenses and a few hundred quid for the CISAS costs...

UNO just take a kickback for referring your business to TalkTalk. They won't have any documents to back up their claims as they do not have any relationship with Openreach or BTw.

They will lose at CISAS. They will give you your money back way before it gets there.

Edited by partial (Tue 03-Sep-13 21:57:55)

Standard User partial
(member) Tue 03-Sep-13 22:02:37
Print Post

Just give the poor bloke his money back before he finally works out that he need to go to CISAS and costs you a bundle.
Standard User partial
(member) Tue 03-Sep-13 22:04:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by uno:
I guess these guys have had the problem too... Noting the cease section.

Matt

Those guys lost at OTELO and boy are they smarting. Give the bloke his money back before you are similarly smarting and similarly poorer.

Edited by partial (Tue 03-Sep-13 22:07:27)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Sep-13 22:09:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by partial:
Just take UNO to CISAS.
Not that simple! You can't until you raise a formal complaint with the provider and they issue a deadlock letter or 8 weeks have elapsed. Until then CISAS will not consider your complaint.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User partial
(member) Tue 03-Sep-13 22:11:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

8 weeks have elapsed. Off to CISAS.

I am thinking of claiming a consultancy fee here for Deft to add on to his claim. crazy

Edited by partial (Tue 03-Sep-13 22:12:03)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Sep-13 22:27:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by partial:
8 weeks have elapsed.
& OP has used their formal complaint procedure over that time? Great! Then off to CISAS with the evidence of submitting complaint and ISP's responses or lack of.

Consultancy fee for gung-ho'ness?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Sep-13 15:34:55
Print Post

Could someone confirm whether the Uno terms and conditions say that you must have a telephone line? If so it looks like the OP (unwittingly) broke that condition because (however briefly) the voice line was ceased which resulted in the broadband being ceased. If that assessment is correct then Uno are totally absolved from any blame and are fully justified in passing on the charge.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User Al1264
(regular) Wed 04-Sep-13 20:13:36
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

But the OP has a telephone line, he did nothing to change that and neither did his CP (so they claim), why should the OP be charged at all?
If something was was accidentally done to his line it must have been by Openreach who seem to be the ones raising the charge for their mistake? (If the line 'owner', their ISP and CP all did not request any change on the line then who else could it be?)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Sep-13 01:18:09
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

So as the root cause is the line work causing the broadband cease, it could be argued it is the line rental CP that the OP should pursue for recompense.

The line rental CP has a right to ask Openreach what happened to cause a line cease. Uno at this stage do not.

Standard User Deft
(committed) Sat 07-Sep-13 11:26:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
So as the root cause is the line work causing the broadband cease, it could be argued it is the line rental CP that the OP should pursue for recompense.

The line rental CP has a right to ask Openreach what happened to cause a line cease. Uno at this stage do not.

I think the problem is that although most people on this thread understand the way it has all come about, I'm not sure what precedence there can be for a service provider to pass on 3rd party charges and then tell the consumer to go chase another unconnected party for compensation (even if they stated this in terms and conditions how enforceable that really is). I'm pretty sure this is particularly feeble in the eyes of consumer law and hence I suspect the correct avenue is to dispute with Uno.
In any case Uno charged the cease fee to my debit card on Thursday so the next chapter in this rather dull saga can continue.
I can't think of a great analogy but your contract is always with the supplier of goods, not the manufacturer. I have an invoice and charge from Uno, not Openreach.

Edited by Deft (Sat 07-Sep-13 11:28:12)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to