General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-13 18:22:37
Print Post

Re: Interleaving on ADSL Max

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The BT Wholesale DLM (Dynamic Line Management) can be set to Auto or Interleaved, that being a setting the ISP can select.
BTw may very well offer that feature to ISPs but not all ISPs take it up (can't be bothered!), EE for 1. Pretty sure EE leaves interleaving entirely in hands of DLM.
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Once it is set, or switches to, interleaved it never automatically switches back to Fast Path.
Don't think that can be right! Few weekends ago my Fast Path connection went bad, discons, wildly oscillating NM & speed (suspect some BT eng messing about at exchange or cab) but still usable. DLM compensated by applying Interleaving. Didn't bother reporting it to EE as expected it would right itself. Come Mon. connection became solid again. Later that day or next, Fast Path reinstated itself.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 14-Sep-13 18:24:12
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Auto is auto, and I would expect it to go both ways. Opt-out and Opt-in cover the alternative scenarios.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-13 18:24:48
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

That's LLU, but OP only has BTw ADSL Max available.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Sep-13 18:32:23
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
In reply to a post by 4M2:
New lines are set to 'Auto' which is our recommended setting.

If interleaving has been applied due to poor line conditions, we can remove this to lower latency for gaming by setting 'Opt Out' or if you would like better stability over latency, please set to 'Opt In'.

Opt in would be appropriate on a very long line.

Sure smile Matt at uno certainly recommended that I stay on interleaved after it was auto-selected even on a ADSL2+ 37dB downstream attenuation and 6dB SNRM.

Would ADSL MAX fair better than ADSL2+ on fastpath with the same line length and a stable 6dB SNRM?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 14-Sep-13 18:38:43
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Would ADSL MAX fair better than ADSL2+ on fastpath with the same line length and a stable 6dB SNRM?
37 dB ? No, I get >9M downstream at that which G.dmt cannot do.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 14-Sep-13 19:28:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

WBC DLM may be able to switch back, particularly in its recent incarnation where IP Profile no longer goes in steps. It didn't when the ADSL2+ Mbps steps were in force.

I was describing ADSL Max 20CN DLM behaviour, where it definitely did not switch away from interleaved once imposed. The "Auto" applied only to turning it on, or else the criteria for reinstating Fast Path were far too stringent. It never happened for anyone on these forums.

The OP is probably on IPSC G.DMT and that still has stepped IP Profiles within the WBC DLM. The Fast Path v Interleaving behaviour for IPSC I accept is open to question.

He could still be on ADSL Max couldn't he?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-13 20:02:33
Print Post

Yes, sorry, you were describing old ADSL Max DLM.

Standard User rogerh
(committed) Sat 14-Sep-13 20:21:57
Print Post

I don't think we have got 21C anything. My connection is still on ADSL Max AFAIK. Talktalk keep telling me they are going to put me on a "new and better" product in six months but this is just wishful thinking on their part.
Standard User rogerh
(committed) Sat 14-Sep-13 20:27:30
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

This is my suspicion, that someone at Talktalk has opted me in to Fast Path at some stage. For about 5 years (and before that on ADSL500) the connection was always interleaved: for 2 or 3 years it has been always Fast Path. Despite the downstream sync varying from 160 to 800 and something, and upstream usually being about 300 to 448.

Are there any additional limitations on sync speed with interleaving?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 14-Sep-13 22:12:41
Print Post

[re: rogerh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerh:
Are there any additional limitations on sync speed with interleaving?
No. (Except on ADSL Max if you sync at 8128kbps on Fast Path then on Interleaved you more often than not only sync at 7616kbps).

The whole point of interleaving is to improve throughput speed (including speed test speed) at any given sync speed, but at the cost of a few milliseconds latency. On your line you need interleaving.

I have this basic description, and at the that bottom of that page is a link to Kitz's more detailed explanation of how it works.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to