General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User parish
(experienced) Sun 23-Feb-14 10:18:05
Print Post

Re: No more development of ADSL technology?

[re: TDD] [link to this post]

Interestingly, about 2 months ago my connection went up to almost 6Mbps and the SNR Margin dropped to 1-2dB smile

I thought at first it was a fluke, but it stayed at that until yesterday when it plummeted to 2.8Mpbs and the SNR Margin went to 16-18dB frown

Fingers crossed the latter is a fluke and I'll be back to 5+Mbps soon!
Standard User TDD
(newbie) Wed 14-May-14 20:42:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As you say, interesting and entertaining link. However, reading around on BDUK project sites (eg South Gloucestershire) I see they are describing alternative technologies for the more distant premises as satellite and Broadband Enabling Technology (BET). Do you think that's a likely solution across the country for > 6km non-FTTC premises to get the 2MB USC?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-May-14 22:02:39
Print Post

Bet dead end tech
Sat a good stop gap but limited takeup possible

All depends on goal and willingness to spend e.g satellite is available now if you need a connection anywhere

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(committed) Wed 14-May-14 22:37:18
Print Post

Are we likely to see extra satellite capacity to cope with an influx of satellite users. Also the cost is prohibitive to some.
The Welsh Government change of funding for broadband has not changed the attitude of some Wimax suppliers, such as Exwavia, still wanting the £1000 to connect in existing enclaves.
Whilst 96$ may have access to decent broadband. The other 4% wills always struggle.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-May-14 09:20:13
Print Post

Bet dead end tech

From the moment it started frown

Standard User godsell4
(newbie) Mon 19-May-14 10:05:15
Print Post

Bonded ADSL to the Cabinet, even if a cabinet has to be built to support EO lines, and then VDSL from the Cabinet to the Home at least gets the VDSL connection in place so that when the means to get Fibre or something else to the Cabinet is viable the user can benefit too. Is this ideal no, but neither is BET.

PlusNet BBYW1
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 19-May-14 15:51:08
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

The VDSL connection is made and the upstream separated in the FTTC cabinet. Not in the PCP. It needs a DSLAM and line/modem cards.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-May-14 17:16:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Aside from the simple fact of how many copper pairs would need to be bonded to get a decent VDSL2 type speed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SLAMDUNC
(newbie) Mon 20-Oct-14 12:51:12
Print Post

Judging from the Essex Phase2 documentation
http://www.essexinsight.org.uk/Resource.aspx?Resourc...
compared to http://www.superfastessex.org/maps.aspx
it looks as if a lot of areas that were marked as Alternative Technologies are now back to "Basic White" - ie there are now no plans to deploy those technologies after all.
They'll just be left to take their chances with Phase2 funding instead.

The Phase2 maps also show just how much projected commercial coverage from the Initial Modelling Map has been abandoned, as well.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Oct-14 14:21:40
Print Post

[re: SLAMDUNC] [link to this post]

Precisely why the EU was slow with State Aid approval, i.e. market led roll-outs were not complete so you could not be 100% sure where they would go.

Now that roll-out is pretty much complete should be easier to figure out the various areas.

The over lapping of all the commercial and gap funded schemes is part of the response to the pressure from campaigners to be seen to be doing something.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to