General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SLAMDUNC
(newbie) Mon 20-Oct-14 15:25:39
Print Post

Re: No more development of ADSL technology?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The sceptic in me does wonder whether "Alternative Technologies" only ever meant "Wait for More Funding", and we got a bit excited for nothing! As projects progress, is there any evidence of alternative technology solutions going in?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Oct-14 15:30:44
Print Post

[re: SLAMDUNC] [link to this post]

yes, some projects have already started deploying FTTP in limited quantities.

Expecting fibre to the remote node in North Yorkshire in the next few months, and maybe even commercially in Shoreditch London.

These usually mean pushing fibre closer to properties pushing the cost up and at some point close to more maybe more than FTTP.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mikejp
(regular) Mon 20-Oct-14 15:45:38
Print Post

[re: parish] [link to this post]

parish - not sure which router you are using, but I replaced my 'cheapo' ADSL router with a Billion 8800 (not that pricey on Amazon) and my speeds (ADSL) went up 25% both up and down. Added advantage is it will also work on VDSL.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SLAMDUNC
(newbie) Mon 20-Oct-14 15:58:26
Print Post

That's good news. In fact I've just this moment received an email from Essex indicating that their Phase2 map is not correct, and the Basic White should not be so - ie that they do expect BT to roll out alternative technologies to fulfil USC as part of Phase1 after all.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Oct-14 16:47:00
Print Post

There was also the news we covered of ADSL2+ from the street cabinets, allowing longer lines to get a benefit in cases where VDSL2 has already run out of steam.

Given ADSL2+ can offer 2 Mbps at around 6km, this should reduce the need for 2 Mbps alternates massively very very few premises are more than 6km from their cabinet. Alas not a launched product but that might change in the next few months.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SLAMDUNC
(newbie) Mon 20-Oct-14 18:59:19
Print Post

Yes I saw that - very promising BUT I assume that requires (1) that the exchange is fibre-enabled (ours is not scheduled til start of 2016) and (2) cabinet is fibre-enabled - again, as the cabinet is a good 4km from the exchange that's not a given either.

Seeing as the project is meant to finish by late 2016 Openreach is going to be pretty busy.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Oct-14 20:42:22
Print Post

And projects are extending now into 2017 with higher coverage targets

Many exchanges will never be fibre enabled but cabinets will offer FTTC by linking to a bigger exchange

Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Tue 21-Oct-14 18:56:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
There was also the news we covered of ADSL2+ from the street cabinets, allowing longer lines to get a benefit in cases where VDSL2 has already run out of steam.

Are you aware of any ISP's who can/will order this product yet? I tried with Zen today and they wern't interested to be honest. I will be contacting A&A to see what they can offer.

And do you know what the 'small print' says - as in can we order ADSL2+ ports from the cab as a standard thing or is it only for specific cases where the VDSL won't/don't work due to line length? Do we also know if cab ports are ordered with the same terms and conditions/access as exchange ports?
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Oct-14 19:02:55
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

You can't, it's it's in development. No guarantee it will actually become a live product
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Tue 21-Oct-14 21:33:55
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
You can't, it's it's in development. No guarantee it will actually become a live product

I can't? - Are you telling me that as the man in the street or do you have some valid credentials I can validate against? Don't mean to appear rude but I've already spoken to ISP's who believe this is already a product but they don't currently offer it for sale.

Please see SIN 498 (Issue 6) Sept 2014 Page 34 http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/498v6p0.pdf
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to