General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 17-Oct-13 18:16:52
Print Post

Re: Can an exchange get FTTC before BT WBC/21CN?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User sor
(newbie) Mon 28-Oct-13 16:58:43
Print Post

I suspect this has happened in my case - FTTC was available several months before WBC ADSL2+, and I can get Sky and TalkTalk fibre but not Sky LLU. In the past I was also unable to get TalkTalk LLU (I think they may have just unbundled my exchange). I wasn't around at the time they put the cabinet in but apparently there was a lot of interest by BT in the road connecting the two villages at around the same time the cabinet was installed.

Considering the village has a few cabinets and an FTTP deployment (it's in Cornwall) are they really running all of that to the village whose exchange might be 3 or 4 miles away (which also has FTTC cabinets) instead of the one in the village?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Oct-13 17:07:22
Print Post

[re: sor] [link to this post]

In answer to the final question, yes

Falmouth exchange is the GEA (fibre) handover point for 8 exchanges around it.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BREWERDAVE
(regular) Wed 06-Nov-13 16:43:39
Print Post

A similar question if I may:-
My exchange has seen dates for 21CN/WBC continually being moved further into the future -initially early past Summer -now showing as 6th Dec. on BT Wholesale checker, so no ADSL2+ for us!!
Now the exchange is due to get FTTC via BDUK funding "from March 2014" - is it likely/ probable that BT will drag their heels until the funding comes thru for FTTC -then do the 21cn work,or will they not bother to upgrade the exchange at all and just feed the fibre from one of the two nearest exchanges where fibre is already available?
My interest is that I can't see the need currently for fibre -but I would like a speed boost from ADSL2+!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-13 17:17:10
Print Post

[re: BREWERDAVE] [link to this post]

The answer is they might wait for the FTTC, or the FTTC may just be run to a neighbouring exchange and ADSL2+ never arrive.

That said it must be a pretty small exchange as only 4% of households have no access to ADSL2+, i.e. due to size of TalkTalk network

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 17:29:08
Print Post

The availability of FTTx and WBC ADSL2+ are not necessarily connected, not least as FTTx is an Openreach product to which BT Wholesale connect, whereas WBC ADSL2+ is an entirely BT Wholesale affair.

Openreach's strategy seems to be to run the fibre network back to neighbouring exchanges where it is sensible to do so. This reduces the complexity of the backhaul network needed for fibre, and if fibre-only areas become possible, will allow disposal of the redundant copper-only exchanges, with the receipts presumably going towards the cost of deploying the fibre infrastructure. I believe BT Wholesale endeavour to have their WBC network ready to connect to new FTTx infrastructure from the first day it is available.

BT Wholesale can only provide WBC ADSL2+ by running the WBC network to the exchange where the lines terminate and install a new MSAN there to provide ADSL2+ service.

If FTTx in your exchange area runs from one of the neighbouring exchanges, that won't bring the WBC network to your exchange, but it may provide much of the routing for new fibres if new fibre is needed to bring WBC to the exchange.

In other words, the fibre deployment may require the 21CN WBC network to be extended to your exchange, it may make any new fibre runs needed to bring that network to the exchange easier to install, or it may not affect the ease of deploying 21CN WBC at your exchange in any way.

Ultimately, BT Wholesale want ubiquitous 21CN WBC ADSL2+ deployment, so they can completely get rid of the legacy 20CN platform. They are already planning to remove 20CN equipment and network links in some exchanges where 21CN WBC ADSL2+ has been available for a while, not least to use the equipment as spares to keep the rest of the 20CN network running until it is replaced.

Meanwhile, it may be worth putting your existing ADSL line statistics into MrSaffron's calculator to see what increase, if anything, ADSL2+ might offer in your connection speed. This may help in deciding whether to go for FTTx when it's available or to hold out for ADSL2+.

Standard User BREWERDAVE
(regular) Sat 09-Nov-13 10:49:26
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks for replies. Currently I'm synching at 8128 downstream with attenuation of 18 and SNRM of 11.6 -so expecting a substantial increase of d/l speed on adsl2+ -maybe 17-18Mbs actual, which would be more than enuf for current uses.
So it seems as if I'm totally dependent on the whims of BTO/BTW - my exchange has ~ 1400 subscribers, currently unbundled by Sky, and TalkTalk were rumoured to be "coming late 2013"-we have a much larger exchange, relatively close to us (~ 3 miles between exchanges) so it may be that BTO will go for the neighbouring exchange strategy.- guess I'll have to wait til next year -but may have to switch to Sky if nothing happens before my current deal with Plusnet runs out next June.
Standard User Storm_Force
(newbie) Fri 10-Jan-14 21:14:25
Print Post

No 21cn here in Hatherleigh but the first fibre cabinet has just gone Live (RFS date was March this year so ahead of schdedule)

Now just waiting for the cabinet near me to done!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to