General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 01-Nov-13 20:49:40
Print Post

Re: Exchange congestion?

[re: Spetznaz] [link to this post]

There are currently no known 20CN VP capacity problems on your exchange. There may still be an exchange problem, however BT are not currently reporting that they are aware of it.

Record last updated: 18 Oct 13
Or they just aren't telling anyone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 01-Nov-13 20:53:03)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 02-Nov-13 11:09:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I remember reading an OFCOM adjudication on Market 1 pricing that pointed out there was a backhaul capacity limit on ATM 20CN DSLAMs that meant to increase total backhaul capacity often meant adding another DSLAM and migrating some (half ?) of the users over to it.

Sort of made sense at the time, 155M ATM capacity per DSLAM or 145M of data.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultati... has some odds and ends.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Sat 02-Nov-13 12:46:53
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Would moving over to a 'premium' service help do you think?, fast say they can do this for an additional £10.80pm (upto 1.2mbps upload) with a 3 month contract, or would I be better off trying a different ISP?.

Edited by Spetznaz (Sat 02-Nov-13 12:47:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 02-Nov-13 20:39:44
Print Post

Premium has higher priority - double the minimum speed when congested. I would start there. The upload on 20CN Business/Premium is 832k.

Another ISP would only help if the VP you're on happens to be congested and the one they are on isn't. Bit of a gamble.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Sat 02-Nov-13 21:44:43
Print Post

Thanks for the advice, I guess its a gamble either way then, its a 3 month contract so only costing me £33 really, if it doesn't help I'll try another ISP.
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Mon 11-Nov-13 20:08:11
Print Post

Well my upgrade was completed today, now synced at 832kbps but no difference to speeds, getting 2mbit down at the moment, disappointed that I am wasting money now but knew it was a gamble.

Frankly its time a USC of 8mbit was brought in, BT seem to have plenty of money to invest in buying champions league football rights but not on things they should be spending it on.

Guess I'll have to put up with it now until FTTC is installed in 2016, 17, 18 or whenever they get around to it.

frown
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Nov-13 21:17:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spetznaz:
Frankly its time a USC of 8mbit was brought in
That would be lovely - but is unfeasible as things stand. Even if you rolled out FTTC on every cabinet, the length of some lines from the cabinet means that 8Mbit/s is unachievable. Some lines are so long that FTTC will not work at all.

The ideal would be universal FTTP - but I believe the figure that has been put on that is £15-20 billion, nearly an order of magnitude more expensive than the commercial FTTC/P roll-out.

As it is, there is not yet any clarity how the 2 Mbit/s USC in the BDUK projects will be met. It is near certain that not every case can be handled using Openreach metallic pair and fibre infrastructure, and some cases will require alternative solutions such as fixed wireless and satellite.

Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Thu 14-Nov-13 21:04:14
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Well I am now on premium but the plot thickens...

Using www.speedtest.btwholesale.com:

If I run the 'tap3' test logged in with [email protected]_domain I get 6.5mbit plus but when logged in with my fast.co.uk account I get sub 2mbit consistently, does this mean the problem is with fast?.
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Fri 15-Nov-13 22:19:29
Print Post

Still slow after upgrade, I am starting to grow suspicious of fast now as when I asked them why I was getting a consistent 6.5mbit+ result running the 'tap3' test using [email protected]_domain and sub 3mbit when logged into their ADSL connection they just said the next step would be to arrange a BT engineer to visit and I would be charged if no fault was found, which it clearly wouldn't be, sounds like they are avoiding the question?.

Surely if I'm getting a good speed using the speedtest login it bypasses the ISP therefore they are the issue?, or am I missing something.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 16-Nov-13 13:09:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spetznaz:
If I run the 'tap3' test logged in with [email protected]_domain I get 6.5mbit plus but when logged in with my fast.co.uk account I get sub 2mbit consistently, does this mean the problem is with fast?.

yes. If the DSLAM can deliver you 6.5M from a BT test server on the ATM network somewhere it stands to reason that FAST has to be the constraint when the traffic is routing via them.

It also explains why switchin gto Premium didn't help - the enhanced priority is over the ATM part of the network that isn't a problem.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to