General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Wed 17-Dec-14 19:19:38
Print Post

Broadband speed after FTTC upgrade

[link to this post]

I'm a new and very ignorant subscriber to this forum and would welcome some advice in simple non technical language!

The situation is this: I've been using BT broadband via a small rural exchange and a cabinet attached to it. From exchange to the cabinet is 2 km, from cabinet to my house is 3.5km. So until 2 weeks ago I was linked to the exchange by 5.5 km of copper and experienced a broadband speed of 1.6 Mbps.

2 weeks ago the exchange and cabinet were connected by fibre and subscribers within about a 2km radius of the cabinet are able to get faster broadband.

I'm not expecting to get faster broadband but am hoping to get something better than 1.6Mbps, perhaps as much as 5Mbps as a result of my copper cable connection being reduced from 5.5 km to 3.5km. There's a graph somewhere on this website which shows this. However, nothing has changed and BT customer services are telling me not to expect any improvement.

What's stopping me getting a faster service and if I can technically get a faster service, how do I persuade BT to provide it?
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Dec-14 19:31:12
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed after FTTC upgrade

[re: bickerton] [link to this post]

Does https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ provide you with an FTTC speed estimate?

Edited by Ribble (Wed 17-Dec-14 19:32:40)

Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Wed 17-Dec-14 20:17:38
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

No - it says ADSL Max downstream line rate up to 1mbps, downstream range .75 to 2.5mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Dec-14 20:19:58
Print Post

In which case they believe you will get no improvement.

On VDSL2 beyond 1500 m the level of improvement falls off fairly sharply. If it was 2km distance you'd probably get an estimate and be able to place an order.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Dec-14 20:20:47
Print Post

5.5km and 1.6 Mbps is slightly slow, others have seen much faster, what are the connection statistics from the ADSL modem?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Wed 17-Dec-14 21:30:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry to take so long to get back. I'm afraid I don't know how to access the connection statistics from my router. Is there an easy / standard way of doing that?
Standard User gregormac
(learned) Wed 17-Dec-14 21:35:51
Print Post

have a look here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

You need to know how to access your router. What do you have and may be able to give you a step by Step walkthrough
Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Wed 17-Dec-14 21:50:39
Print Post

[re: gregormac] [link to this post]

I've got a bt homehub 3. I've just tried putting http://192.168.1.254 into my IE browser as recommended but nothing happens. Can you advise please? I'm using my laptop connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.
Standard User gregormac
(learned) Wed 17-Dec-14 21:58:21
Print Post

O.K. have you got Skype or any other IM? Save bouncing posts back and forwards?
Standard User gregormac
(learned) Wed 17-Dec-14 22:00:04
Print Post

Check to see what ip address is on your pc.

Open a cmd window and type 'ipconfig /all' without the '' .

You should have an address of 192.168.1.X where X is something between 1 and 253.

if that works then try typing in

'ping 192.168.1.254'

you should get a reply from the router.
Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Wed 17-Dec-14 22:26:41
Print Post

Thanks for advice, I've now got into my router and am displaying the statistics. What should I look for
Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Wed 17-Dec-14 22:37:48
Print Post

This what the router is telling me. FYI switched it off and on a few minutes ago while I was trying to access it.

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 day, 00:08:26
Downstream: 2,016 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 12.8 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 55.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 17.2 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 4030 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 13 / 0

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up): 4 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Standard User gregormac
(learned) Wed 17-Dec-14 22:41:14
Print Post

kind of all of this
https://community.bt.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-i...

Specifically
Noise margin
Line Attenuation
Output power
Standard User gregormac
(learned) Wed 17-Dec-14 22:59:48
Print Post

Yep,
looks like you have a line at the limits, Notice the FEC and CRC events only having been connected 8 minutes.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm

The Downstream attenuation is high which is pointing to a very long line.

Here is someone in the same boat with a few suggestions

http://ljangus.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/2-4mbs-55db-...

Is you line noisy? Crackles pops etc.?
Are you connected to the master socket with ADSL filters or with a filtered faceplate?
Have you tried disconnecting all the phone wiring and just connecting to the master socket in the house and see if this improves.
Unfortunately I expect you are not going to get Superfast as you are too far from the Cabinet - Sorry.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Dec-14 23:13:34
Print Post

Feeding that into a calculator I got

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

Basically on ADSL you should really be getting 2.5 Mbps to 3.5 Mbps sync. Not a lot more but everything helps.

I doubt anything you do will improve the stats, as the figures suggest the line has been banded, i.e. capped connection speed to ensure stability and only once that has been reset/removed will the various things like removing ring wire, or fitting an ADSL/VDSL faceplate give you the expected speeds.

Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Wed 17-Dec-14 23:22:32
Print Post

Thanks for your interpretation of the statistics gregormac and your sympathy. I'm still puzzled though. If my line is at the limits now. Surely I would have had a significantly lower speed previously when I had 5.5.km of copper between me and the exchange instead of 3.5km of copper between me and the cabinet as I have now. Is it possible that my still line runs on copper cable between the cabinet and the exchange?
Standard User gregormac
(learned) Wed 17-Dec-14 23:31:42
Print Post

Unfortunately you still have 5.5Km of copper before you hit a DSLAM. Upgrading the cabinet makes no change to ADSL circuits, the ADSL DSLAM ( Modem) is in the Exchange, its the VDSL DSLAM that's in the Cabinet, linked probably to a bigger remote exchange via fibre and as you cant get VDSL you are copper all the way back to the Rural exchange.
Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Wed 17-Dec-14 23:38:10
Print Post

Thanks again for the explanation gregormac - that makes sense!
Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Wed 17-Dec-14 23:43:44
Print Post

Thanks for your advice MrSaffron. I dream of 3.5 Mbps!

How do I get my line unbanded / uncapped?
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Dec-14 08:36:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I doubt anything you do will improve the stats, as the figures suggest the line has been banded,
Whoops - banded on 20CN? Care to rethink that response?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Dec-14 09:18:40
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

If the BT checker is saying only ADSL Max then yes.

The speeds match one of the banded profiles, but if this is just IPStream Max then the ISP needs to get the target noise margin reset to the standard 6dB, as the 12dB noise margin is costing you a chunk of speed.

Worth sorting out the wiring issues if any exist too.

Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Thu 18-Dec-14 09:22:35
Print Post

Without getting involved in a big technical debate, can you help me to understand what your comment means? eg does it make it more or less likely that I can get some improvement however small on my current 1.6mbps? Thanks for your help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Dec-14 10:15:44
Print Post

It means you just change what you need to ask the ISP to do,

1. Sort of your wiring to be optimum, ADSL faceplate and modem connected to it
2. Ask ISP to get the target noise margin reset to 6dB

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Dec-14 11:17:58
Print Post

It looks like the target noise margin has been set high which is slowing you down. That will be because there are either lots of errors or lots disconnects. Could you post the stats as in your 22:37:48 post some time tonight. Seeing the rate at which errors are logged will be helpful.

Also, I hope you leave the router on all the time and avoid rebooting if at all possible. Reboots and power offs can be seen by the exchange as instability and it will slow the connection down to try and make it more stable.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Dec-14 20:26:00
Print Post

Looks like you are being capped to 2 Meg.

Ask ISP to remove speed cap or reduce Target NM to standard 6dB, which are 2 diff ways of asking for the same thing.

Who is ISP?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Fri 19-Dec-14 09:13:03
Print Post

There will be no benefit if you are on a ADSL line as you line will not be routerd via the fibre -- you will only beneift if you are ably to purchase as FTTC servie if you choose to remain on ADSL or are out of distance for FTTC no change
Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Fri 19-Dec-14 09:30:57
Print Post

Thanks Mr Saffron. Will do later today.
Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Fri 19-Dec-14 09:34:05
Print Post

Thanks for your advice jelv. For some unknown reason I can't get into my router now to see the stats. I'll sort this out during the course of the day and post the stats asap.
Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Fri 19-Dec-14 10:30:37
Print Post

I've been trying for 30 minutes to get into my BT Home Hub 3 router. I checked the address 192.168.1.254 and I've tried 3 different browsers but keep getting a message that says the page cannot be displayed. It worked yesterday but not today for some reason. Suggestions welcome.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Dec-14 10:57:22
Print Post

Probably just the HH3 being a HH3 they are not the best devices

Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Fri 19-Dec-14 15:25:15
Print Post

I've just spent over an hour chatting and eventually speaking on the phone to a BT agent. She eventually solved the problem of "no access to my homehub 3" by instructing me to pull out all the leads and then reconnect. This seemed to do the trick. Oddly, resetting the hub using the little hole and a paper clip had no effect. The blue lights didn't even flicker.

I'll take a look at and hope to post the stats sometime tomorrow.

My thanks again to you and other members of the forum for your advice.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Fri 19-Dec-14 16:58:56
Print Post

If you are concerned about your speed, for goodness sake stop disconnecting or resetting your router.

Leave it on ALL the time and NEVER interrupt the connection unless it is vital. Each disconnect will be treated as a problem and probably lead to a slower connection for days or weeks to come.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Dec-14 17:03:58
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

A few discons won't harm. Don't scare the OP!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User bickerton
(newbie) Fri 19-Dec-14 18:15:35
Print Post

As I may have mentioned elsewhere, after about an hour chatting and on the phone with a BT expert, she advised me to pull out all the plugs on my BT HH3 and then try accessing via my browser again. I did this and when I tried to access my BT HH 3, it worked!

2 hours later I just tried again and it's not working! By the way, the reset on the HH doesn't seem to work.

Bearing in mind your comment about the HH3 should I ask BT to replace my current one with another HH3 or perhaps a HH4? Or is there possibly some other solution? I don't want to have to switch the HH off every time I want to see the stats. That would I think have a bad effect on my current v poor broadband speed.
Standard User leexgx
(committed) Sat 20-Dec-14 02:17:00
Print Post

@bickerton

short response, your ON ADSL , the cab is For FTTC only so Nothing will happen unless you move onto BT infinity

long
unless you pay and move onto bt infinity you speeds will not change (upload speed is 448kbs so that tells that your very likely still on an very old ADSL 2mb/448kbs BT package still) the CAB has Nothing to do with ADSL as that is what your Still on right now

Nothing you do at your End will change your speed as your on ADSL (the broadband is still coming from the exchange not the CAB) you need to get BT infinity or alike FTTC product

FTTC uses VDSL and your BThub3 would of given you No information about your line speed (you have a White Modem), if you was on bt infinity they would of sent you a BThub5 (or BThub4+the VDSL white modem but that very unlikely)

the BThub5 would provide speed info (no adv stuff)

not sure if BT would offer you BT infinity due to distance to cab (over 2 miles, does bt Limit the Distance?) not sure if VDSL will work over that distance

Edited by leexgx (Sat 20-Dec-14 02:23:49)

Standard User PaulKirby
(regular) Tue 23-Dec-14 03:37:45
Print Post

Like somebody else has already said try bring up a command prompt on your PC by running cmd.exe.

And then in that window type: ipconfig /all
Then look for a line called Default Gateway and then enter that IP address in your browser.

People cannot assume it will be 192.168.1.254, this may of been changed for some reason, you can only get the correct one by looking up the gateway address your PC is using.

Not got a HH3 but have a HH4 and I was given a plastic slip with a password on it, you may have one for the HH3 but not sure.

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 23-Dec-14 03:39:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to